Author Topic: Need Some Cleaning Suggestions  (Read 3597 times)

bamagator

Need Some Cleaning Suggestions
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:16:19 AM »
My daughter was heating up tomato soup in a porcelain pot and forgot about it.  Needless to say the bottom of the pot is burnt to a crisp. Any suggestions on how to clean it?  I became desperate and even tried a SOS pad.  It didn't budge.  I would like to save the pot as it belonged to my great-grandmother who is no longer with us.  Please help!!!  Thanks!!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Need Some Cleaning Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:41:13 AM »
Don't use an SOS pad as it will scratch it. 

Try filling it with water and a bit of soap like Dawn and set it on the burner on medium heat.  Let it simmer to help loosen the crud.  You may have to do it a few times, just make sure you have enough water in there. 

You might also want to try a Magic Eraser.  They are pretty sturdy and won't scratch the surface.  It will take alot of elbow grease, but it should eventually come off.  I got alot of baked on crud off of my broiler using a magic eraser.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:59:58 AM »
There is a product called Dawn Power Dissolver that you spray on, let sit for 15 minutes and wash. I use it to clean the BBQ grill and it works great. It's sold with the dishwashing liquids.

Another trick is to make a paste with cream-of-tartar (a powder sold in the spice/seasoning section), leave it on overnight and scrub.

You may have to do either a couple of times if it's a bad burn.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:04:09 AM by KewpieDoll72 »
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

bamagator

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 03:13:59 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will give them a try!  I hope I have luck with at least one! 

Gigi

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 04:28:15 AM »
I've had good luck removing burned-on crud with full strength dishwasher detergent.  The gel kind works the best since you can spread it on thickly.  Let it sit overnight and then use a spoon to scrape up the stuff.  It sometimes takes a couple of applications, but the detergent is really strong and seems to eat through the crud.

You could also try putting baking soda on it and then adding vinegar.  It'll boil and bubble away and is pretty good at getting rid of the cooked-on stuff too.  It's also non-toxic, which I like a lot.

kiero

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »
I was in a similar predicament as a child...  My dad alternately heated some vinigar and very concentrated dish liquid in the pot on the stove and also let it soak over night a couple times.  It came clean after a few days. 

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:26:20 AM »
Put in a dryer sheet and some water and let it sit overnight.

The ions or whatever will allow the gunk to separate from the pan.

minnaloushe

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 02:55:49 PM »
Vinegar and Cream of Tartar mixed into a paste. It's amazing. It will also complete remove that brownish black gick left over on your pots and pans with very little effort.  Just let it sit for a while and wipe /rinse off. If it doesn't come completely clean the first time, just try again. No scrubbing or elbow grease required.

loopey2u

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 11:15:06 PM »
I've had good luck removing burned-on crud with full strength dishwasher detergent.  The gel kind works the best since you can spread it on thickly.  Let it sit overnight and then use a spoon to scrape up the stuff.  It sometimes takes a couple of applications, but the detergent is really strong and seems to eat through the crud.

Me too.  I do the patio furniture with the dishwasher detergent if it looks grubby from being stored all winter too.  The full strength gel is great.  You might not get all of the crud off the first time, but after a few times it should be gone.

BTW, it works wonderfully on tile showers and porclean tubs too.  You have to rinse it more than you would if you used Ajax, but it's worth the extra effort.

becurless

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »
Also, Palm Olive makes these disposable wash cloths that already have soap on them. We buy them at buy 2 get 2 free (BIG boxes of them)....they work wonders.
Also, for metal pans, where I used to work they would take them outside and spray oven cleaner on them and put them into a big black garbage bag over night. In the morning when you went in they would just wipe clean. I don't know if it would work with porcelain though :( Probably not :(

Arianoor

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »
My ex-husband was famous for this little manuever.  So, I've had lot's of practice.  I put a full scoop of dry dish detirgent into the pan half filled with water and bring it to a HARD boil (stay in the room and keep an eye on it!).  Boil for a few minutes then remove from heat and let cool.  That was the ONLY method that worked on my ex's "creations".

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Vinegar and Cream of Tartar mixed into a paste. It's amazing. It will also complete remove that brownish black gick left over on your pots and pans with very little effort.  Just let it sit for a while and wipe /rinse off. If it doesn't come completely clean the first time, just try again. No scrubbing or elbow grease required.

This same thing works just as well with Lemon Juice, and does not smell nearly as bad to me (I loev the smell of lemons, hate the smell of vinegar)  Also works with borax powder instead of cream of tartar, and boiling lemon juice until a hard boil and letting it set works well on easier stains.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
My daughter was heating up tomato soup in a porcelain pot and forgot about it.  Needless to say the bottom of the pot is burnt to a crisp. Any suggestions on how to clean it?  I became desperate and even tried a SOS pad.  It didn't budge.  I would like to save the pot as it belonged to my great-grandmother who is no longer with us.  Please help!!!  Thanks!!

No one else seems to have mentioned this, so I will.

A timer for your daughter to use when cooking. ;)  Won't help with this time.  But, for the future, prevention is the best cleaning tool there is.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »
Is the pot oven safe?  I've had good luck with cleaning burnt food from pots and pans by putting them in the oven and running the self-cleaning cycle.

minnaloushe

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »
[quote author=Welcome to planet Xan link=topic=3965.msg99633#msg99633 date=1176928807

This same thing works just as well with Lemon Juice, and does not smell nearly as bad to me (I loev the smell of lemons, hate the smell of vinegar)  Also works with borax powder instead of cream of tartar, and boiling lemon juice until a hard boil and letting it set works well on easier stains.
[/quote]

Ohh! That's even better!  Cream of Tartar is so expensive, and I have a huge box of Borax.
I also love the smell of fresh lemons, makes everything smell so clean!