News:

• April 19, 2018, 10:41:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We can has enchiladas!!  (Read 5473 times)

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
We can has enchiladas!!
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »
OK!  Whew!!  I don't use measuring cups when I cook.  I don't own any.   But.. here you all go!!

first take a whole chicken and put it in a big pot.  just about cover the chicken with water.  Add a few cloves of garlic, an onion, and a two packs of taco seasoning.  bring to a boil then cover and let it simmer for a while, until the chicken is tender.  Few hours on low does it - about 2-3.

LET IT COOL.  In the fridge over night.  Save some of the water, about a cup.  pull the chicken off the bones.  Shred it with your fingers.  Watch for the splinty bone on the leg and the gristly stuff around the ribs/back.

Put it all in a big big bowl.  Add a lb of grated cheddar/jack cheese, 1 med can of enchilada sauce and a little bit of the chicken water.  You want it sort of goopy but not runny.

put some tortillas in the microwave.  I do 4 at a time.  It takes about 15 seconds to get them all soft and floppy.   Put a good tablespoon of goop in the center of each tortilla and roll it up.  Line them all in a pan or something.  Put more cheese on, then pour more sauce over the enchiladas.

Since everything is cooked, all you need to do is heat them up.  Bake until the cheese is runny or put them in the microwave.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

caranfin

• I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: We can has enchiladas!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:34 PM »
But how do we make the cheese and onion version, or the pork version, or the beef version...? ;D
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:10:06 PM »
Awesome; thank you!  I like "unmeasured" recipes; I enjoy cooking by feel and taste rather than eighths of measuring spoons.  (Which all seem to go down the garbage disposal no matter how many I buy.)

Flour tortillas or corn? 

- saphie

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »
your choice.  But I use corn.

i just made enough enchiladas for 75 people.. I figured 2 per.

4 large pans

GAAAAHHH!!!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

kckgirl

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »
I've never heard of enchiladas made with flour tortillas. This recipe sounds yummy!
Maryland

caranfin

• I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
I use flour tortillas - I like the texture and taste better.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
I use flour tortillas - I like the texture and taste better.

Same here.  We've always had flour tortillas with everything.

We usually do our enchiladas with ground beef and sauce.  I adapted Mom's recipe for cubed chicken breasts, browned, and added extra cheese.  Jason was in heaven.

Double Helix

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »
I could see using sauteed mushrooms and spinach in lieu of chicken for a veggie version....

oh and I love white corn tortillas

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
Geordicat, I know this is an "unmeasured" recipe, but how about proportions? When I'm done with shredding the chicken, the amount of shredded cheese will be about half the amount of the chicken?

I'm asking because I usually pick up seven pound chickens at the market, but I assume you're using a four pound smaller chicken. And also because I'd like to experiment with a one-meal size of this rather than cooking for twenty people. :)  (And coincidentally, I'd like to do it tonight.)

Thanks!

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:32 AM »
It's about what you say.. the cheese is about half the chicken.  :)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.  i was on vacation!

Reika

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
Hm, think this would work for beef instead of chicken? I love chicken, but mom is allergic and I cook for both of us.

Figure 2-3 pound beef roast?

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
sure, it would work!

OhHai!

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
No further posting to this thread please - cookbook editing in progress - (placing into Ethnic recipes)