News:

• April 19, 2018, 10:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: We can has enchiladas 2?  (Read 3300 times)

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
We can has enchiladas 2?
« on: August 08, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »
Inspired by Geordicat''s post :-)

1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 whole white onion, diced
2 tbsp garlic
20-30 corn tortillas
1 can green (or red) enchilada sauce (can make own with tomato paste, water, salt, and chili powder to taste)
3 green bell peppers
1 container mushrooms
2 cups jack cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 can olives (chopped)
Vegetable oil

Dice all of the veggies and put all except the onions and garlic into a bowl.  In a big cooking pan, brown the onions, the meat and the garlic.  Add all of the veggies, and cook until soft.

In a frying pan, put a little bit of vegetable oil and heat until warm.  Dip the tortillas long enough to make them soft, then dip into the enchilada sauce, and fill with the stuffing.  Repeat until you have an entire tray full, then top with cheese.

(you may omit the rolling and layer casserole style)

Pop the whole thing in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes and serve. Goes great at parties!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 01:20:01 AM by Talamarie »

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
Re: We can has enchiladas 2?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:28:01 PM »
WOO!

thanks!!

(geordicat)
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

AFwife_3boys

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »
Here's mine (I know the potatoes are a little unorthodox but it REALLY adds flavor to the final product:

Chicken/Cheese/Potatoe Enchiladas:

3 cup frozen shredded potatoes (or fresh)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts , cooked and shredded
4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
1/4 cup chili powder
1 onion
1 T. plus 1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
12 flour tortillas

1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Use a little bit of the oil to cook the potatoes until about half cooked

3. Combine potatoes, chicken  and half the cheese, set aside.

3.  In a saucepan mix tomato sauce, 1 T. oil, water, and chili powder to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

4.  In a skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil on high heat. Warm tortillas about 5 seconds on each side in skillet. Transfer warm tortillas to plate with papers towels.

5. On wax paper assemble enchiladas. Brush each side with warm tomato mixture add about 1/2 potato mixture and roll up. Place in a 9x13 casserole dish. repeat with the rest. Top with remaining tomato sauce and the remaining cheese. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.

NOTES: I always skip the warming the tortillas in oil part and just heat them in the microwave to soften them. Works every time!
6.   Serve with sour cream, salsa, and lettuce!

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 01:21:56 AM »
Sorry Geordi! I fixed it! :-)

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
thanks.  :)   Geordi is my cat's name.. from Lt. Commander Geordi LaForge from Star Trek.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
How cute! Mine is Cordelia after a Joss Whedon character.

CG

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
It's all y'all's fault. I made enchiladas tonight. Yummy. Although, I must say, mine were more broke-college-kid style than gourmet.

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. ground beef
minced onion (optional)
minced garlic (optional)
liquid smoke (optional)
Worchestershire sauce (optional)
taco seasoning (I use McCormick's)
Hatch enchilada sauce (or whatever brand you want)
cheese (I used most of a 2-cup bag)
corn tortillas (10)

1. Ground meat with onion and garlic, dump in a little of the liquid smoke and a little of the Worchestershire sauce.
2. Add taco seasoning per instructions on the jar. Simmer down.
3. Take out half the meat for tacos later. If you're really broke, mix with a can of refried beans to stretch it. ;D
4. Add about 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce and enough cheese so it's not a runny mess into the meat still in the pot.
5. Using the little plastic containers that are sandwich sized, dump enough enchilada sauce from the can into each one to cover the bottom.
6. Open the package of tortillas and toss into the microwave. Nuke the tortillas for about 30 seconds.
7. Put a decent amount of meat into each tortilla, roll each one, and put 2 into each plastic container, seam side down, catty-corner.
8. Pour enough enchilada sauce into each container to coat the tortillas. If you have meat left, dump it on top as well. Put cheese on top.
9. Put lids on containers, put containers in fridge.
10. Pop in the microwave for about a minute with the lid ajar to heat.

OhHai!

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »
No further posting to this thread please - cookbook editing in progress - (placing into Ethnic recipes)