News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 30, 2015, 07:51:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 396025 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2115 on: December 22, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »
DS (5 years old) and I have had some gastronomic distress the past week. I was helping him in the bathroom when he asked, "Mommy, why is my butt peeing?"
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

gingerzing

« Reply #2116 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »
A friend of mine texted a group of us that she and her husband have caught the "Crud". 
She asked for prayers that her two girls don't get it.  Or that it quickly passes over her elder daughter (*10YO) because elder daughter tends to be fairly dramatic about getting more than a cold.  Including -  and I will quote directly from the text here:
...<Older Girl> tends to be quite the "patient"= prays we know she loved us 'before she dies' and 'what do I need forgiveness for'....ect.

I love the Elder Girl and can see it.  She is very vivacious and funny and I can see where she could totally add drama in everything.  And yes, it completely made me laugh.  (I didn't reply to my friend because I am pretty sure while I find it amusing, it probably gets tiring when it is your kiddo and more so when you aren't feeling well.)

HappilyInsane

« Reply #2117 on: January 08, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »
I made another post regarding the death of my best friend's mother.  When my friend called with the news, we discovered that friend's parents will be interred in a niche in the same mausoleum as my parents.  I quipped that they were neighbors in life, and now neighbors for eternity.  Maybe it was horrifically dark humor, but we laughed like loons.

I don't think that was dark humor at all.  It's just the sort of humor that families seem to fall into in these situations.  It isn't not at all unusual for people to get giggling fits on solemn occasions.     

FIL died 13 years before MIL.  Both their ashes were scattered in the same place.  It was a bit quiet in the car on the way back after MIL's ashes were scattered but SIL's husband broke the tension. 

'Well, at least FIL had 13 years of peace.'

We all broke up at that one.

My maternal grandparents were notorious for their yelling matches. Grandma died at the end of September one year and Grandpa died just a few months later at the beginning of the following April. The day we buried Grandpa was a beautiful spring day. A short while after we returned to the house from the cemetery, there was a horrendous crash of thunder and lightening and a huge storm started. My uncle calmly looked up at the sky and said "Well... she knows he's there."  That was 20 years ago and to this day, every time it storms, all I can think of is them yelling at each other.

Tashigi

« Reply #2118 on: January 08, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
The gentleman friend and I were having a rather heady and morbid conversation about death and afterlife. He quipped, "I'm not afraid of death. Dying, on the other hand, worries me sometimes." We mused on that being an interesting phrase on a coffee mug. I then said that it would be in bad taste if they offered those mugs at hospitals or hospices.

The gentlemen friend grinned and informed me that he knew quite a few people who would buy those mugs if they ever had to enter hospice care.

For the record, I know that county coroners' offices have t-shirts/mugs that say some variant of, "Our day starts when yours ends." For some reason, at least one gift shop has rejected as bad taste: "Coroner's Office - We Want Your Body."

nuit93

« Reply #2119 on: January 09, 2015, 11:45:01 AM »
The gentleman friend and I were having a rather heady and morbid conversation about death and afterlife. He quipped, "I'm not afraid of death. Dying, on the other hand, worries me sometimes." We mused on that being an interesting phrase on a coffee mug. I then said that it would be in bad taste if they offered those mugs at hospitals or hospices.

The gentlemen friend grinned and informed me that he knew quite a few people who would buy those mugs if they ever had to enter hospice care.

For the record, I know that county coroners' offices have t-shirts/mugs that say some variant of, "Our day starts when yours ends." For some reason, at least one gift shop has rejected as bad taste: "Coroner's Office - We Want Your Body."

Hehehehe....

Dawse

« Reply #2120 on: January 10, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »

Hehehehe....

Why? I'd buy one  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:55:19 AM by Dawse »
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #2121 on: January 11, 2015, 12:54:17 AM »
My 9-day old DD farting so loud she wakes herself up. And cries. Poor thing - it was a man-sized fart that had her Dad looking over in astonishment and trying to blame *me* for it!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #2122 on: January 11, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
My 9-day old DD farting so loud she wakes herself up. And cries. Poor thing - it was a man-sized fart that had her Dad looking over in astonishment and trying to blame *me* for it!

When my DS was about 3 weeks old, he was napping in the bassinet while his father and I puttered in the living room. DS farted long and loud enough that I honestly had to ask his dad which one had done it!

Reika

« Reply #2123 on: January 11, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »

When I told mom this story, her response was "At least it was just a fart!" ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2124 on: January 13, 2015, 07:33:24 PM »
Took the 3 year old to the mall today as they have a small play area with fruits and veggie-shaped play structures like a stalk of celery slide propped up by a carrot, sort of thing.

After we play I take him to the bathroom and after doing our thing we wash our hands.  This restroom has both an automatic dryer and paper towels. He's used to paper towels and I guess he thought this was the automated sort where you wave your hands and get a paper towel.   But then there's a rather loud "roar" of the dryer that sends him running back towards me with huge eyes as he finally stops and looks back with a "what the heck was THAT?" expression. 

I was trying sooo hard not to laugh as I showed him where the paper towels are. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2125 on: January 15, 2015, 02:15:26 PM »
This one is from my bus ride today.

Background: The buses I ride have two levels. The section from the front of the bus to the back doors is at one level, and just past the back doors there are a few stairs up to the back section of the bus. Generally, the middle seats at the very back are the last to fill up, and people standing tend to pool in the front section without thinking to climb the stairs and stand in the back section unless prompted.

Today, I got on the bus and saw no seats available, so I ended up standing near the rear doors. There was one young guy standing directly in front of the stairs and an older guy next to him in front of the rear doors. The older guy reminded me of Morgan Freeman. After a few stops, the front section was getting quite crowded with people standing. That's when the older guy piped up and calmly drawled "There's room in the back of the bus. A few seats, too. Some [female dogs] just too afraid to go up there." The young guy glanced behind him, realized this was true, and headed into the back, followed by me and a few others. Meanwhile, the older guy continued, in the direction of the younger guy, "No need to stand here looking at my ugly face. You should have been up there already. You coward."

Not an appropriate way to address a bus full of strangers, but seriously, picture that little monologue coming out of Morgan Freeman and tell me it isn't funny.  ;D Also, everyone on the bus just kind of shuffled into a new arrangement without batting an eye, as if this "announcement" was a totally normal reminder that more space was available.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2126 on: January 15, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »

Background: The buses I ride have two levels. The section from the front of the bus to the back doors is at one level, and just past the back doors there are a few stairs up to the back section of the bus. Generally, the middle seats at the very back are the last to fill up, and people standing tend to pool in the front section without thinking to climb the stairs and stand in the back section unless prompted.

Today, I got on the bus and saw no seats available, so I ended up standing near the rear doors. There was one young guy standing directly in front of the stairs and an older guy next to him in front of the rear doors. The older guy reminded me of Morgan Freeman. After a few stops, the front section was getting quite crowded with people standing. That's when the older guy piped up and calmly drawled "There's room in the back of the bus. A few seats, too. Some [female dogs] just too afraid to go up there." The young guy glanced behind him, realized this was true, and headed into the back, followed by me and a few others. Meanwhile, the older guy continued, in the direction of the younger guy, "No need to stand here looking at my ugly face. You should have been up there already. You coward."

Not an appropriate way to address a bus full of strangers, but seriously, picture that little monologue coming out of Morgan Freeman and tell me it isn't funny.  ;D Also, everyone on the bus just kind of shuffled into a new arrangement without batting an eye, as if this "announcement" was a totally normal reminder that more space was available.

As I stare into his eyes, "And yet, *you're* still standing here."  (Even though I realize the enormous social implications of suggesting he move to that particular section of the bus...)

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2127 on: January 15, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »

As I stare into his eyes, "And yet, *you're* still standing here."  (Even though I realize the enormous social implications of suggesting he move to that particular section of the bus...)

That thought did occur to me. However, he did get off at the very next stop, so going to the back would just have meant that he had to push past people to the doors a few moments later. Also, no one could easily get to the back until the young man moved, since he was right in front of the stairs.

...Plus, if you consider the guy's own argument, he was fine staying there since he did not have to look at his own "ugly face." ;-)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2128 on: January 15, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »
Reminds me of a meme that was out for a bit with a photo of Morgan Freeman saying that if you look at a photo of someone with text, you'll read it in their voice and then it had a very silly phrase that is hard to read in that voice without laughing. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Xandraea

« Reply #2129 on: January 17, 2015, 01:58:53 PM »
Reminds me of a meme that was out for a bit with a photo of Morgan Freeman saying that if you look at a photo of someone with text, you'll read it in their voice and then it had a very silly phrase that is hard to read in that voice without laughing. :)

A great many people would quite enjoy listening to Morgan Freeman read the phone book, or an instruction manual, or classified ads, or.. anything, really..  :D