Author Topic: Food to settle an upset stomach  (Read 183417 times)

audrey1962

Food to settle an upset stomach
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions/menus of bland foods for an upset stomach? I don't feel well, but I can't not eat!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Food to settle an upset stomach
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »
soups - like chicken noodle or tomato.  with crackers.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Julep

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »
I love graham crackers when I'm feeling queasy. Saltines, oyster crackers or even Ritz are good too.

I second the broth idea, chicken or tomato. I like it lukewarm though, just barely warmed.

For some reason, french fries or plain pasta work for me too, but that may be weird Julep stuff.

And of course, clear, carbonated beverages. I like to let them sit open in the fridge a while so they're not SO fizzy.

PS - feel better soon!!!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions/menus of bland foods for an upset stomach? I don't feel well, but I can't not eat!

Plain toast.

I'd be careful with tomato soup - tomato would not sit well for me if I had an upset stomach.

CarolinaEmerald

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »
Soda crackers
7-up
Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt.

audrey1962

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions. For those who have had success with toast, crackers and pasta - is plain usually best? I'm thinking the fats in butter would upset me, but wouldn't plain pasta lump up?

sisbam

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
I say if you can't eat food, just drink ginger ale ---> saltines after a while...

Stay away from produce because breaking down complex carbs = not fun for tummy and cellulose (e.g., apple peels) = insoluble fiber

Feel better.

Summrs

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:01:21 PM »
the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
This is what I was going to recommend, supplemented with Gatorade and weak tea (if you get lack-of-caffeine headaches). This is usually my second-stage diet after I've nibbled on saltines and sipped ginger ale for awhile.

No butter on the toast. Just dry toast.

(I kind of let my stomach be my guide when I'm trying to recover from a tummy bug. If I think of eating a particular food and my stomach gets queasy, it's not time for me to eat that food.)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
I'm finding it somewhat amusing that I'm getting an ad for Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on this thread. The food he eats on his travels is usually not suitable for an upset stomach. :D

And yes, dry toast. If you feel a little stronger after that, you can try a smear of butter, but I wouldn't go buttered to start with.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
I'm finding it somewhat amusing that I'm getting an ad for Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on this thread. The food he eats on his travels is usually not suitable for an upset stomach. :D

And yes, dry toast. If you feel a little stronger after that, you can try a smear of butter, but I wouldn't go buttered to start with.
I should have noticed that you said plain toast. :D And I totally agree with you about the tomato soup - normally I adore it, but when I'm sick it's way too acidy.

kkl123

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
Besides the BRAT diet, "soupnoodle" is a common food here... boil up some pasta (I usually use fideo cortina, which is itty bitty bits of spaghetti).  Drain, add enough canned chicken broth to cover the noodles.

Ginger (ginger ale, ginger beer, ginger tea, candied ginger) or cola syrup is a good stomach settler, too, as is peppermint tea.

If this is a persistent problem, I offer my grandmother's dinner for upset stomachs:  homemade egg noodles with chicken in broth, served over mashed potatoes.  Salt and pepper is the only seasoning.  Sounds awful, tastes good, sits well.  If you're doing the cooking, substitute the frozen or fresh egg noodles, a can of chicken and some chicken broth. But real mashed potatoes, if possible.

And the low tech, low calorie "cure" -- ice pack on the forehead and back of the neck helps a lot of people.  Insulate the skin from the cold pack.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »
I find eating yogurt helps me the best.

It doesn't matter what brand, but it does need to be "live active" yeast.

I think the yeast eat the bad organizims in your tummy/digestive system.

Also gingerale or Chamomile tea work pretty good.

Alka Seltzer also helps to settle an upset tummy.

And yes, I would eat the toast dry. Nibble it and sip some tea or gingerale.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 08:08:31 PM »
This is going to sound strange, but I swear it works about 90% of the time. Skittles. Seriously, take 3 or 4 and put them under your tongue. Suck them there until you need to chew, and repeat. I'm not sure why it works. I don't know if its the sugar being delivered easier to your blood because of your veins there, or what. However, when my Mom was pregnant that's how she staved off morning sickness, and passed it on to me when I would get sick. It doesn't usually help if you're so queasy that you're vomiting.

I also like breads, corn bread, even plain cakes with little or no icing. I agree with the broths, I find that even plain tomato soup can help.

Double Helix

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 08:31:56 PM »
Ginger chews