Author Topic: My best friend and her act of kindness today -  (Read 2723 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
My best friend and her act of kindness today -
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:19:01 PM »
After listening to me complain about the pain in my tooth today, which got worse instead of better after a trip to the dentist, my friend asked me what she could do to help. I said I didn't need anything, as Mr. F was picking up my prescription and bringing me some soup.

She came by anyway, bringing me a pink rose, a pint of Haagen Dazs creme brulee ice cream, a chocolate bar, and a peach yogurt smoothie. She also volunteered to take the kids tomorrow if I need to be on pain pills.

She's very good to me, and I'm lucky to have her.

NsWife

Re: My best friend and her act of kindness today -
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »
WOW.

Feel better!

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »
What a great friend!

How are you feeling today?

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:26:45 PM »
Just curious, but did the dentist give you an anti-biotic? I'm not certain if you take them or not, but a lot of the time tooth pain can stem from an infection.  If I read your previous entry it sounds like you split a tooth into the root and then there was an air pocket that got into there? (I had that happen when I was younger, couldn't stop screaming for about 3 hours)

I hope you feel better soon :-)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »
Just curious, but did the dentist give you an anti-biotic? I'm not certain if you take them or not, but a lot of the time tooth pain can stem from an infection.  If I read your previous entry it sounds like you split a tooth into the root and then there was an air pocket that got into there? (I had that happen when I was younger, couldn't stop screaming for about 3 hours)

I hope you feel better soon :-)

Oh, yes, it's definitely infected. I'm on penicillin. An decades-old filling crumbled and took part of my tooth with it when it broke. I was afraid they wouldn't be able to save the tooth, but they did. I had the root canal this morning, so it's all cleaned out, filled, and sealed, but I'm STILL in pain. I've never had pain after a root canal before, an it's undoubtedly because of the infection. For the same reason, it took an extra-strength dose of Novocaine to numb the area for the root canal procedure.

And you know - my friend was at it again today. Our local Albertsons is having a big sale on some items I use regularly, and the coffee bar was also offering 1.99 grande coffee drinks plus a free pound of ground coffee with every drink special purchased. My friend called after going to the store to tell me the specials. I told her I'd ask Mr. F to stop on the way home and pick up some things, because I'm on a painkiller that is not compatible with driving. She offered to go back to the store for me and I told her that wasn't necessary. She called back a few minutes later and said that her mother offered to come and pick me up so I could go to the store now, and again I said it wouldn't be necessary, because Mr. F could stop on his way home.

"I'm afraid they are going to run out of things," she said, asking if she could at least send her mother to the store to buy some food items she knows I use. I agreed to that.

When her mother arrived, she also had two iced mochas and two pounds of ground coffee for me! She didn't want to take any money at all. I persuaded her to allow me to reimburse her for the food items, but she absolutely refused to take money for the coffees, saying the mochas were a gift and the ground coffee came free with the drinks.

So now I'm zapping myself up with two mochas after getting sleepy from my medicine. :D

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
That is a great friend!

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 06:24:46 PM »
She really is.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 06:28:24 PM »
That's so great of your friend, Cathy!  Worth her weight in gold!  Hope you feel better today.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
That's so great of your friend, Cathy!  Worth her weight in gold!  Hope you feel better today.

Thanks, Shoo. She's definitely worth her weight in gold and then some. I feel better as long as I keep ahead of the pain. After four days on penicillin I'm a little concerned that I'm still experiencing pain (I'm not given to malingering!), but I hope the inflammation is lessened tomorrow.

On the plus side, I've been planning to revamp the cleaning schedule/checklists/logbooks for work, and lying abed with my laptop has given me the perfect excuse to take the time to do it.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »

Wow. That is a great friend.  :)

I hope you are feeling better soon. FWIW, i always still have pain after a root canal - so don't worry too much.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem