Author Topic: Need help perfecting my "agog"  (Read 4830 times)

Bathing One

Need help perfecting my "agog"
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:44:39 AM »
I joined eHell to help reduce my snarkiness.  I have the fault of "answering rudeness with rudeness."

Since I know that I have this failing, I am trying to keep my mouth closed when confronted with rudeness.

I need help expanding my silent "I am agog" expressions.  I have only two:

1) "Did you just say that?!?": Eyes slightly widened, mouth slightly open.  If it's an extreme case, I'll tilt my head slightly (as a dog does when confused).

2) "If I weren't so polite, I'd smack you": Lips pressed closed, nostrils flared, serious expression.  In serious cases, I'll slightly raise my right eyebrow.

I'd appreciate tips/descriptions on classic silent reactions I've heard mentioned:

A) The Icy Glare of Death (also known as the "Mom Look")
B) The Hollow Laugh (for when a joke fails)
C) The "Poor Dear/Bless Your Heart" look, implying "You can't help it that you're so crass, can you?"

And if anyone knows of any tips for keeping one's mouth closed, I'd be grateful to know them.  Currently, I hold my breath and count to five.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Need help perfecting my "agog"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »
Don't keep your mouth shut EVERY time - sometimes opening your mouth, looking at the person (over your glasses works well), shutting your mouth, and then saying "I can't believe that you just said that" does wonders..........

Sadly - there are those who are so totally clueless that even being run over by the cluedozer with  BehindBJ in the driver's seat would not register.........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:36:47 PM »
Instead of the Hollow Laugh I've done the one that trails off at the end... kind of like a sigh. It cuts short the laugh, and doesn't actually imply that you found it wildly funny. Possibly that it was a bit boring or inappropriate.

Bathing One

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »
OP here.

It occurs to me that a video illustration of these looks would be perfect.  YouTube, anyone?

dawbs

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
I in no way want to be political.  So ignore that this is directed toward a politician.

For those times when you want to say "quit touching me" or "you're in my space bubble", I haven't perfected this as well as in this photo, but...the "side eye plus one raised eyebrow" here is good.  I usually use it without saying a word. (And I tend to use it w/ students who try to touch my computer or come to the 'wrong' side of my desk):

Bathing One

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
THAT IS A WONDERFUL EXPRESSION!  I will practice this.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:38:02 PM »
I've used two methods I learned on another forum:

1. Shake head slightly as though clearing water from ears, look back at offender, and say, "I'm sorry, I must have heard you wrong. Did you just say...?"

2. Confused/aghast look followed by pity, and "You must be so embarrassed to have said that!" in a sympathetic tone.

A "hollow laugh" is kinda like a golf clap - just "ha ha" without any energy or mirth behind it. Another good one is the tight smile - closed lips, barely turned up at corners, does not reach eyes.

For the "Icy Glare of Death," imagine that you are the mythical creature Medusa and you are going to turn the person to stone with your look. (In my house, this is known as the Medusa Look, and is rated - oh, that's a quarter Medusa, etc.)

The "bless your heart" look is the tight smile plus a sort of pitying look (OK, I went and checked in the mirror - it's the tight smile plus a slightly furrowed brow).
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
If you are in a large group, ask that offender to repeat him or herself loudly. 

Minmom3

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:16 PM »
If you are in a large group, ask that offender to repeat him or herself loudly. 

A look I like, that my children coincidentally dislike, is to raise my brows, drop my lids a bit, keep the lips closed but drop the lower jaw a little.  It makes a somewhat elongated, deadpan displeased face, and the dropped jaw helps avoid ANY semblance of a smile.  They, and anybody else, KNOW GOOD AND WELL I'm not happy with what just happened or was just said.  Really, NOT happy.  Disgusted.  And then I try to walk away, shaking my head.  Because to disengage so utterly, without giving in to fury or screaming - gets my point across quite nicely, and I don't get in trouble for telling some schmo that he/she is an idiot not deserving of sharing my oxygen.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

loomadoom

• What is it now?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
The Buster Keaton doubletake is good -- airc, the full version goes: open mouth slightly, stare, close eyes as if in prayer, open eyes, stare harder, drop jaw, swallow hard, shake head in disbelief while blinking. The "I didn't really see that" closing of the eyes is the key part, I think, and the hard swallow while shaking the head amps it up a bit.

Most expressive stone face ever.

"I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going."

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:01 PM »
How about saying "Oh My!"  with this sort of face. :o

LadyofMaine

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:14:28 AM »
Here's a good example of the Icy Glare Of Death. 

I don't actually know this guy, but found his photo on the internet.

http://ianfest.dostweb.com/images/thomaswillis.jpg

bionelly

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
Here's a good example of the Icy Glare Of Death. 

I don't actually know this guy, but found his photo on the internet.

http://ianfest.dostweb.com/images/thomaswillis.jpg

That link just goes to a page that says "Remote linking forbidden".  Are you able to post the picture itself?

LadyofMaine

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
No, I am clueless as to how to do it.

Sorry.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:08:52 PM »
A) The Icy Glare of Death (also known as the "Mom Look")
Slightly raised eyebrow(yes just one), cold gaze and a tightened mouth

B) The Hollow Laugh (for when a joke fails)
A weak hehe followed my a short hmm.  Immediately broach a new topic.

C) The "Poor Dear/Bless Your Heart" look, implying "You can't help it that you're so crass, can you?"
Can be done several ways.  My fav is a slightly startled look, open eyes wider than normal mouth kind of round for the briefest of seconds and move quickly into heavy sympathy dipped in sugar- tilted head, think of a that's alright face, extra points if you throw in an Awe and pat the person on a shoulder.

You forgot the "I'm going to ignore the fact that you just made an idiot of yourself"  Either use both eyebrows or one lifted very high, tilt your head down a bit and look out of the top part of your eyes, mouth can be shut firmly or slight open as if aghast, hold it for a second and proceed ignoring by changing the topic.  The weather is an excellent one if needing to drive in the point.