Author Topic: Would this be okay  (Read 1556 times)

tabigarasu

Would this be okay
« on: March 19, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
I just found out, well, today, that I didn't get any of the local jobs I applied for, so I will be moving very shortly out-of-state. I'd like to throw a "See you one last time" party for all my friends, but for various schedule reasons, I can only do so on a weekday (I will be out of town scoping out apartments on one weekend, and then there is Easter weekend, and then I will be gone). Some of my friends work traditional 9-5s, but some are in school, and so work odd shift hours.

I am thinking of just having an open house, and inviting people to stop by for however long they are able, anytime between 2 and 10. I plan to have snacky food available - chips, dips, veggie platter, a big ol' tray of rice pilau, sodas, and any finger foods I can throw together from the perishables left in my freezer.  Do I need to provide real dinner-type food for the people who show up at the dinner hour? Or can I assume that people will be clever enough to realize that if I'm having an open house, they should plan to feed themselves their evening meal either before or after coming over? 

Also, is it a terrible faux pas to say that while I will have sodas and juice, the party will be BYOB?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Would this be okay
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:06:42 PM »
I don't think you need to serve a meal at any time during your open house.  Hors d'oeuvres through the day sound fine.

I do think you should skip the BYOB part of it and just serve whatever drinks fit within your budget.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

lovinAZ

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:05:23 PM »
I agree with KeenReader on all counts

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:28:03 PM »
I don't think you need to serve a meal at any time during your open house.  Hors d'oeuvres through the day sound fine.

I do think you should skip the BYOB part of it and just serve whatever drinks fit within your budget.

I think this depends on social circle.  In my group of friends at home, it is a given that everything, unless a dinner party, is BYOB.  If it's not the norm in the OP's circle, then she should provide only what she can afford. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:10:56 PM »

BYOB is the norm most of the time in my circle, as well. If it is in yours, tabi, i don't see an issue.

Especially since you're moving & not especially in a position to be stocking a bar, i think BYOB would be acceptable.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

platys

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:49:55 PM »
In my circle, BYOB would be fine too - in fact, a lot of moving parties are more like "Please, come help me empty my liquor cabinet and take away extras" Parties, given that moving companies won't pack and move those times, especially out of state. 

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 10:35:04 AM »
Depends on your friends about BYOB.  We do that here with our group but mostly because no 2 people here drink the same thing.  I like white wine, BF likes stout beer, BIL of BF likes that low cal low carb beer, BF's sister red wine, other friends everythig from Jack Daniels to Coors Light.  Its hard to please people so we do BYOB.

I think I would let people know that there is no alcohol available before th party but they are free to bring some if they want.  that way you are not saying you expect them to provide it but you are saying you won't be offended if they do.
93 93/93

tabigarasu

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 12:37:59 PM »
That way you are not saying you expect them to provide it but you are saying you won't be offended if they do.

That's precisely what I want. My four roommates are staying here, and since we buy alcohol for parties communally, I can't really have a "Come finish off all my alcohol" party.  (Or take any with me, sadly. I'm going to have to start from scratch when I move. . .)

The liquor cabinet is well stocked, so there is hard liquor available for those who want it, but since my roommates and I are not big beer or wine drinkers, we don't have any on hand.