Author Topic: Side-Stepping The Politics of Giving Birth  (Read 8905 times)

toontownnutter

Re: Side-Stepping The Politics of Giving Birth
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 01:03:54 AM »
As a mom of five wee beasties, let me tell you...lol, just kidding.  Honestly, despite the fact that after 5 I may have some idea what I'm doing, people still give me advice.  One memorable lady was very, very upset that I didn't have a sweater on my baby.  It was July and if I could have successfully worn the onsie outfit, I would have.  And this is my advice:  They put them in dumpsters and they live.  Your kid will be fine. 

I do tell childless/free friends that I did my best parenting before I had kids, too.  And in defense of moms everywhere...if you breastfeed - cool.  IF you don't - cool.  And just because I personally make babyfood, it does not mean that I am a nut.  It is less expensive & takes about 20 minutes a week.  I also make my own laundry detergent.  If your budget allows you to buy these products, well you rock on with that.  As long as your getting the job done, it makes no earthly difference as far as I can tell.  Oh, and disposable vs. cloth....either way, your little one is going to poop on it. 
Great post.

Just quietly I have a internal giggle to myself when I hear some yet to be mums announce how they're going to do this and how they're going to do that. Best laid plans and all that..... I'd never outright say it to a stranger to cause offence though. As mums we just do the best we can do, never let another parent tell you otherwise, I guarantee you they made many mistakes they just won't tell you. Mum's will ask you stuff knowing they won't like the answer and then they'll chastise you because it makes them feel powerful and validates their daydream of being the perfect parent. Never let anyone make you feel like a piece of crap.

Answers to unsolicited questions you don't want to answer: "I haven't really thought about it, we'll decide when the time comes" "not really sure at this stage" "I have no idea"  "I'm sure baby will help us decide what we will do"

ETA: Oh and if some kind person decides to share their horrible birthing story with you prior to birth a simple "shut up" is acceptable IMO. I just don't get why people do that. Nasty!

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
I don't have children, but I'd like to some day.  I'm a bit crazy about quoting books and movies and for this purpose I think I like captain Mack's comment in the book SSN: "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy."

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »
If the first time I met someone, they announced their intention of mocking me afterwards, I'd not put them on my list of "Must socialize with again".
I must agree, Twik. Even if it WAS a joke..I'd not feel that urge to see them again.

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei