Author Topic: I Said NO!  (Read 5228 times)

menana

I Said NO!
« on: August 26, 2008, 05:03:39 AM »
I work in a convenience store in a small town. Our employer is very accomodating if an employee needs a day off. We usually let her know a week in advance if we need a specific day off. Last week, I heard a co-worker mention that she wanted to go visit her father. We were working together when she said this in passing.

When I got home from church on Sunday my cellphone rang (I left it at home). It was my co-worker calling.

Co-worker: What are you doing?
Me: I just got home from church.
Co-worker: Me too. Can you come work for me? I want to go see my Dad. (Shift starts in 2 hours)
Me: I'm sorry. I have plans. If you asked me a few days in advance, I could have planned to work.

I had to pat myself on the back! A few months ago, co-worker got off from work so she could go horseback riding with her friend. She poor mouths it but doesn't seem to like working. She has more hours than anyone else this week and is complaining about it. She did mention her many hours when asking me to work for her on Sunday.

Luna_Moon

Re: I Said NO!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »
Well done. Where I worked as a cashier, hours were precious and strictly guarded. As soon as I find out someone is in a "keeping score" environment, I'm baffled that they'd give them away for no reason.

menana

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »
Luna,

What it comes down to is this young woman doesn't want to work. I worked from 2pm to 6pm today. This young woman is working from 2pm to 11pm (closing). She whined and complained about how much she hates this job. I worked food and she was on the register. The person on register has to keep an eye on the cups, ice, coffee and trash. Since the food prep area is near the drinks and cups, I help out by filling cups when I am not fixing pizzas etc for customers.

It's not rocket science! The food person can cover the register so the cups etc can be refilled.

All I heard today was: I hate this job. I'm going to quit.

I say.. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »
She hates the job and is going to quit?  Great!  Let her!  It'll save having to pay unemployment benefits if she's fired.  Buh, bye!  In fact, I'd start encouraging her to make that decision immediately. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:50:17 AM »
Good job! I know how hard it is to say no to those on-the-spot requests.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."