Author Topic: Knit One, Save One  (Read 1665 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Knit One, Save One
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:28:59 AM »
Is anybody knitting or crocheting little hats for "Save The Children" this year?

I contributed several hats 2-3(?) years ago. The hat patterns at the site are easily understandable and fairly quick to make. I saved it as a pdf on my computer desktop. And then printed off the hat instructions.

I'm choosing to knit all of the hats I'll contribute using the directions for worsted weight yarn and sizes 8 and 10 needles. I thought if I made one hat a day, there would be quite a few to send prior to December 31, 2008. (some of my stash would get used up too)

If you are interested, here is the link for more information:

http://www.SaveTheChildren.org/KnitOneSaveOne

AprilRenee

Re: Knit One, Save One
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:47:56 AM »
I'm going to do this. I knit with needles, as well as with a loom. With the smallest loom I can make a hat in less than an hour. I can probably do one a night at work

AmethystAnne

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »
It never occured to me that a knitting loom could be used for this, but it makes alot of sense.

All the benefits of using DPNs, but not the hassle of making sure that there are no gaps in the fabric where the needles meet!

What are the dimensions (in inches)  of the loom that you use?
=============

I made a bunch of the crocheted hats the last time this hat project was offered. Crocheted ones take hardly any time at all. They turned out really cute.
But I liked the appearance and stretchability of the knitted ones better. Personal perferance, I guess.

AprilRenee

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »
I can't get my computer to download the file :( Does that file have the area where you send them?

I am not sure of the dimensions. This is the set I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Knifty-Knitter-Round-Loom-Hook/dp/B000641FJA
The small is appropriate for babies and kids. I use the medium for both kids and adults

AmethystAnne

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »
That's so strange that you can't download the file.  I found it unusual this time that name, address, and other information was requested on a form, before the site would allow the pdf to be downloaded.

I've italisized what I copied from the pdf file.

Put your cap and letter in an envelope and mail it by December 31, 2008 to:
Save the Children, Knit One, Save One
c/o The Doe Fund
173 Cook Street
Brooklyn, NY 11206

AprilRenee

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
Yeah, I was bothered that you had to submit a phone number to submit a form. I just put N/A and it accepted that. I never give my phone number out, especially in online forms.

thanks for the information though, I have it saved

AmethystAnne

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:02:34 PM »
I'm glad that you were able to save the information.

I don't know what will be thought of these hats when the box is opened. So far, I've done 4 hats:
a variegated blue
a variegated baby pastels
a variegated rainbow color (Starbrights)
just finished the one in Spring Green(almost a hot green).

I've started another one and have got 3 rounds done in Bright Yellow. And, coming up, I've got a skein each of 2 different shades of hot pink(Pretty 'n Pink, Shocking Pink) picked out ready to cast on with.

I've been having alot of fun with these things.