Poll

If you are New Girlfriend and you are going to Boyfriend's pseudo-family Xmas dinner and gift exchange to meet everyone for the first time, which scenario is the least bad?

You get unexpected group gift from pseudo-family
10 (15.2%)
You are tipped off about said group gift, and go shopping to get gifts for people you have never met
13 (19.7%)
You have no gift to open during gift exchange
6 (9.1%)
You are given token inexpensive gift to open during gift exchange
37 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: December 17, 2006, 04:43:23 PM

Author Topic: Which is the least of all evils?  (Read 6180 times)

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
Re: Which is the least of all evils?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 05:34:03 PM »
I vote small thoughtful gift.  Ask the BF what kinds of things she likes.
A good list:
Stationary
a very pretty journal
chocolates
a pretty scarf or mittens
bath products or candles
a book, dvd, or cd she may like
gift card to favorite place

Or depending on how long she has dated the guy a pretty frame with a cute photo of him as a child.  (I think its cute and fun.  she'll like the frame and be able to tease the BF on his crooked teeth  ;)
93 93/93

mumma to KMC

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 07:56:40 PM »
I say go with a small gift.

I have a story about the first Christmas after getting engaged to dh. DH had to work 2nd shift on Christmas. (Major bummer) However, his parents invited me to their house for the family gathering. (Which was very nice since I couldn't go home that year.) So off I went to gift opening at their house. My mil gave me a bar of soap. Nice soap that you would buy at a fufuy sort of a gift shop. I still have it somewhere, as I would never part with it, not after what she said when I opened it.

MIL: When my dad was in the hospital, dying, my sisters and I went out shopping to get away for a few minutes. We went to this little shop in XYZ (Ritzy Detroit Suburb.) and I saw this and thought of you.

Me: Thank you, Mrs. F. (Inside I was thinking, uh, when your father died you didn't know I existed and well your ds and I weren't even thinking of dating.)

I think it is in my sock drawer and every once in a while I pull it out and have a good laugh with my dh over it.

liz5037

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 11:27:48 AM »
Just thought I'd let you know how it turned out.  "Boyfriend" finally replied to his e-mail (a whole separate problem) and wrote:

"I told New Girlfriend not to worry about gifts for you guys, cause I told her you weren't, so don't get her anything or I'll be a liar.  She is just bringing a bottle of wine for dinner.  I'm bringing my gift for her to the party cause I won't see her after that, so she has something to open anyway.  Girls worry about the wierdest things."

So it has been decreed, so it shall be done.  We thought of something good too: Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (Holiday Edition)  ;)

Thanks for all your suggestions!