Author Topic: Merchants of shame: Never eating here again.  (Read 48994 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Merchants of shame: Never eating here again.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
I check my order every time I eat out, whether it's Five Guys burgers or gourmet places. It's safer that way.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »
Yep, I ordered a  chicken sandwich at ... Wendy's, maybe?  Anyway, I asked specifically if it had mustard or pickles on it.  Drive-through assured me that it didn't.  I get the sandwich and bite into it -- yep, honey mustard.  Back to the drive-through.  "But it's not mustard, it's honey mustard!"   ::)

Miss, unless you want me to come in and demonstrate projectile vomiting, just make the thing the way I ask for it. And that doesn't mean taking one that's sitting in the heat-rack and scraping the pickle off of it.  There's a Chick-Fil-A near me that I won't go to, because everything tastes like pickles.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
There are very few things I don't like and pickles are one of them.   I've come to stop ordering burgers/cheeseburgers from McDonalds because everytime I did get one and order it without pickles, they'd still end up with the things on them.   And scraping them off doesn't do it, I can still taste it. :P

The cafe at the university I went to used to put pickles on their chicken sandwiches. :P  They were pre-wrapped too, so you couldn't really order them any other way.  I always thought that was odd. I mean burgers, I'll grant that it's definitely pretty normal to put pickles on those, but chicken sandwiches? Gross.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
The McDonald's I generally go to is actually pretty good about not putting the stuff I don't want on--whenever I remember, I order it without the reconstituted onion bits. I have never liked them and especially can't eat them after my bf compared them to maggots. Thanks, honey! :P

There was one time, though. I ordered a cheeseburger Happy Meal. My mom was with me, and we went through the drive-through. I didn't check. My mom had to drop me off at home while she picked my sister up--I looked inside...they had somehow forgotten the cheeseburger! :o So I had to wait for my mom to finish with my sister and she ended up calling them and telling them, and I got a new Happy Meal. But ever since then, I always check to make sure they remembered the main part of the meal...
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

kitty-cat

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »
Usually when I go through the drive-through I'm in a hurry and don't want to worry about my burger getting messed up. Chicken nuggets are my standard order. Ya can't mess up nuggets other than forgetting the sauce, and ketchup fixes that problem.

I can choke down a burger when it has mustard and pickles on it (scrape both off and put extra ketchup on), but I don't like to...

NE Florida

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
We always specify no mayo on one of the whoppers at a local BK. It always ends up needing several napkins to be cleaned up. And I don't mind a little mayo, but a lot makes my stomach flip flog. So I don't go to that one anymore. Ironically, my husband adores the excess white stuff on his burgers, so it's one of his favorite places.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 05:12:19 AM »
I suppose I'm lucky in that I actually like the default configuration for burgers at McDonald's, Burger King, and Wendy's.  Even the Whopper, even the Big Mac.

I'm probably weird.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
I'm just going to say that when you work at a fast food place- even a make-to-order place like Taco Bell that you tend to make food automatically.  It's not uncommon, if you listen to the Taco Bell food makers, for the person who starts the order and communicates what's on it to say things like "these tacos are no lettuce. No lettuce! No- Okay, THESE tacos are NO LETTUCE. No Lettuce." and so on. When you're really tired and on auto-pilot and keep goofing up the first person might just make that meal him/herself.

Yes, I am talking form experience.

That said, the Taco Bell closest to me tends to do the random food handout trick at the drive-through, where you get home and random extra food has been stuffed in your bag. I went throught it with my sister many times (I don't really do Taco Bell any more) and while she always got what she ordered, she also always got extra random food as well.  We always used to wonder how many people came back mad because they were missing food.

I don't like the McDonald's near me much unless I want some place quiet to surf the web as food takes forever and the help seems to be rather lackadaisical for a McDonald's.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 06:04:42 AM »
I'm just going to say that when you work at a fast food place- even a make-to-order place like Taco Bell that you tend to make food automatically.  It's not uncommon, if you listen to the Taco Bell food makers, for the person who starts the order and communicates what's on it to say things like "these tacos are no lettuce. No lettuce! No- Okay, THESE tacos are NO LETTUCE. No Lettuce." and so on. When you're really tired and on auto-pilot and keep goofing up the first person might just make that meal him/herself.

Yes, I am talking form experience.

That said, the Taco Bell closest to me tends to do the random food handout trick at the drive-through, where you get home and random extra food has been stuffed in your bag. I went throught it with my sister many times (I don't really do Taco Bell any more) and while she always got what she ordered, she also always got extra random food as well.  We always used to wonder how many people came back mad because they were missing food.

I don't like the McDonald's near me much unless I want some place quiet to surf the web as food takes forever and the help seems to be rather lackadaisical for a McDonald's.

While yes, an occasional slip up is expected, I don't think you go on auto-pilot enough for that to happen consistently.  Also, there is the person that bags the items that is supposed to be checking that the sandwiches going into the bags are the right ones.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

iridaceae

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »

While yes, an occasional slip up is expected, I don't think you go on auto-pilot enough for that to happen consistently.  Also, there is the person that bags the items that is supposed to be checking that the sandwiches going into the bags are the right ones.

If you're busy enough you can.  You're trying to get orders out as fast as possible. As far as the expediter, well, they have to assume that those 6 tacos are all extra cheese; they can't unwrap them to find out and since the wrapper has indicated that they are, they have to trust the wrapper.

Someone who can't ever make food accurately won't last, but it's very easy to just have an off day; I worked there 9 years. I had a few.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2011, 07:25:18 AM »
Is it wrong that I would totally go to the "random extra food" place, just because I love grab bags?  On the order of, I would seriously order a "pay $5 to get $10 worth of random food" deal.

iridaceae

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
Is it wrong that I would totally go to the "random extra food" place, just because I love grab bags?  On the order of, I would seriously order a "pay $5 to get $10 worth of random food" deal.

Heh. It may be why sister liked going there.

I did used to order from a delivery place in Wausau that never quite got my order right.  That's why I ordered from them.  If I ordered extra onions I'd get a few or possibly none. Order no cheese on the meatball sub? Some days that translated to "no sauce" as well. Raspberry vinaigrette? Surely I meant italian dressing. 

I loved ordering from them at work. Perked up my shift.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
I've come to stop ordering burgers/cheeseburgers from McDonalds because everytime I did get one and order it without pickles, they'd still end up with the things on them.   And scraping them off doesn't do it, I can still taste it. :P

THANK YOU!  I can't stand pickles either and gave that same problem (plus my fingers would stink of pickle).  The next person who yells me to "just take off the pickle" is going to he wearing it!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
Yesterday I made the mistake of kissing DH after he'd eaten a pickle.  He's convinced that I ought to like Gherkins cause they're sweet but I'm sorry, I don't.

Oddly I don't mind a bit of relish in tuna fish sandwiches but once DH put a large spoonful in the tuna/mayo mix and it ruined the whole sandwich for me. :P

There's a restaurant I think I posted about in the "never shopping there" thread, course we no longer live near said restaurant so it's not really an issue.  The service was awful both times we went.   It was a family restaurant, a steak place but each time we went the service was slow and even though we ordered the children's meal with the appetizers, they still arrived after ours, resulting in much joking of "What are they doing, chasing the chicken around?" (we'd ordered the chicken tenders)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
We finally gave up on one restaurant in town when the waitress accidentally dumped a soda all over my husband and the management's response was "You're lucky she didn't dump a plate on you".