Author Topic: Merchants of shame: Never eating here again.  (Read 52677 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: Merchants of shame: Never eating here again.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

While yes, an occasional slip up is expected, I don't think you go on auto-pilot enough for that to happen consistently.  Also, there is the person that bags the items that is supposed to be checking that the sandwiches going into the bags are the right ones.

If you're busy enough you can.  You're trying to get orders out as fast as possible. As far as the expediter, well, they have to assume that those 6 tacos are all extra cheese; they can't unwrap them to find out and since the wrapper has indicated that they are, they have to trust the wrapper.

Someone who can't ever make food accurately won't last, but it's very easy to just have an off day; I worked there 9 years. I had a few.
Okay, it's been a few years, but I worked at Wendy's when I was a teenager.   When I worked there, there were really very few orders that were just the default.  I'd say at least about 50% of the orders had some sort of change.  Given that you'd have to know the default for a sandwich (say, like a jr. bacon cheeseburger, which was mayo, tomato, and lettuce), and then you'd have to look at the screen and see what the alterations were (no mayo, pickles), and then you'd have to translate that into pickles, tomato, and lettuce, it was a little complicated, and I could see, say, leaving off the tomato or putting ketchup and mustard instead of mayo.  What I could never see was how somebody could mess up on one of the specific ingredients listed on the screen, as it was listed right in front of you.  And how people could work on autopilot when there *was* no autopilot.  At least, at my Wendy's, it wasn't a high enough percentage of people who liked everything just as it was for anybody to ever get on autopilot making them that way.

Browyn

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
We sometimes do a drive through McDonalds near our house. As they almost always manage to give me the wrong things, I have now learned to thoroughly check the bags before I drive away.

I did guilt them into delivering the left-out apple pie once, when I was really pregnant...

Oh, yes.  I ALWAYS check my McDonalds order before driving off.  They have a knack for getting things wrong.  Taco Bell too.

I check my bag too.  I don't care much for fast food french fries.  So I ordered onion rings instead (I think it might have been burger king).  They gave me french fries.  I parked, took the bag in and showed the manager and explained I don't care for french fries.  They gave me my missing onion rings and for my trouble .... a coupon for free french fries.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
The Nando's near where we live  does that. They deliver but they never get out order 100% right. They either only give you one portion of wedges when you ordered two or give you peri-peri chicken when you ordered lemon & herb, etc. Sometimes we feel like chicken and are lazy so we order from them, but we know something won't be right.

I think this could also go in "First World Problems". Heh.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
We finally gave up on one restaurant in town when the waitress accidentally dumped a soda all over my husband and the management's response was "You're lucky she didn't dump a plate on you".
:o :o :o  We've had it happen twice (ice water for me, ketchup for DH) and both times they offered to comp our meals.  Getting snark instead of an apology -- OY!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »
We sometimes do a drive through McDonalds near our house. As they almost always manage to give me the wrong things, I have now learned to thoroughly check the bags before I drive away.

I did guilt them into delivering the left-out apple pie once, when I was really pregnant...

Oh, yes.  I ALWAYS check my McDonalds order before driving off.  They have a knack for getting things wrong.  Taco Bell too.

The Wendy's and Popeyes Chicken near my house are like that, too. I swear they could goof up an order for a cup of water.

I have had some one goof up my water.
They were out of Diet soda (Who knows why?!) and so I just asked for water. Got Sprite. Um . . no. Water, got Lemonade. Talked to manager who gave me a large bottled water free instead of my glass of water. (Bottled cost, glass didn't)

Place did straighten up after that. They replaced the Ditz with a real nice kid I went to school with who had downs and was so sweet and I swore, a little slow on the performance but wonderful on quality!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »

While yes, an occasional slip up is expected, I don't think you go on auto-pilot enough for that to happen consistently.  Also, there is the person that bags the items that is supposed to be checking that the sandwiches going into the bags are the right ones.

If you're busy enough you can.  You're trying to get orders out as fast as possible. As far as the expediter, well, they have to assume that those 6 tacos are all extra cheese; they can't unwrap them to find out and since the wrapper has indicated that they are, they have to trust the wrapper.

Someone who can't ever make food accurately won't last, but it's very easy to just have an off day; I worked there 9 years. I had a few.

As the expediter, I always asked (if there was a sticker on it indicating it was special) to make sure it was rightly special.  As the sandwich maker, I always double checked the screen when making a special sandwich.  I understand occasional slip ups; I do not understand slip ups every time.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Smitty

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
In my town there are 3 KFC's: 2 standalone, eat-in/takeout restaurants (one at each end of town), and the 3rd is a combo KFC/Taco Bell in the food court. The one in the food court is the least convenient. You have to find parking at the mall and walk in to the food court. It is also the only one of the 3 that can consistently get you your order in under 20 minutes.

Both of the 2 standalones have absolutely horrible service. At each one, I have seen a backlog of more than 5 takout customers waiting for 20 minutes or more. When it's like that, they give you a free dessert (a small cake or bag of brownies) for your trouble. It's not due to 1 person ordering a huge amount of food, either. They are just slow and disorganized. I put up with it for far too long due to my unholy love of fried chicken.

Then I discovered the Mary Brown's near my house (a Canadian fried-chicken chain). Fast, courteous service! They also deliver, and they are quick. Usually less than 20 minutes! That's right, they can make the food and bring it to my house faster than KFC can get my order together while I'm standing there waiting for it. When the Mary Brown's gets to my house, it's still too hot to eat right away. It's also cheaper than KFC, and just as nommy. I love them. And I love fried chicken.

sidi-ji

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2011, 04:16:54 PM »
My husband always checks his fast food orders.  Sadly I never do. Even after getting a few messed up orders.  One time  I got home(walked about 3/4 of a mile,  all told)to find that my treats, the apple pies, were missing. :( I hunted down that McD's phone number, and got the manager(yay!).  Told him how disappointed I was.  On my next visit to that McD's I was given the missing pies.  No drama just "Enjoy". Last week I ordered breakfast at McD's- coffee, burrito and oatmeal cookies.  As I waited for my order I watched a manager making their yummy oatmeal with fruit for someone, and kinda wished that I had ordered oatmeal...And then found that that cereal was for me  :o. Sigh

Asharah

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
I guess I should consider it a blessing the Denny's next to my job doesn't have any problem getting my hamburger right. Extra pickles, lettuce, mayonnaise and no tomato.
However, my office needs to find a new place to order sandwhich platters from, they put cheese on everything! Who the heck puts cheese on a tuna sandwich? And removing it doesn't work, I can still taste it!  :(
Asharah

SiotehCat

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
I must be super lucky. I never check my order before leaving and I can't remember ever not getting my correct order.

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »
When I still lived with my family there was a Mcdonalds we tended to frequent. They almost never got anything right. I think my favourite was when they somehow managed to forget to put the meat on a cheeseburger.
My mother took it back and the manager, who our family was friendly with, responded "Did you ask for them to put meat on it?".  Yeah, he was a bit staggered at how often mistakes were made there, but he was especially tickled over this one. "How could they forget the meat?!"
 :P

Tai

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
We used to do a lot of fast food, but then we discovered call-ahead or internet ordering at several local places.  DH still gets his hankering for the meaty monstrocity known as the "quad stack" and asks for it "angry" meaning, make an angry whopper, only quad stack it.  EW EW EW.  He always goes in to order now. 

And, the most unfair part of it all?  He's LOST 75lbs over the last 4 years.

Daffodil

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
When I still lived with my family there was a Mcdonalds we tended to frequent. They almost never got anything right. I think my favourite was when they somehow managed to forget to put the meat on a cheeseburger.
My mother took it back and the manager, who our family was friendly with, responded "Did you ask for them to put meat on it?".  Yeah, he was a bit staggered at how often mistakes were made there, but he was especially tickled over this one. "How could they forget the meat?!"
 :P

Once, a friend of my sister ordered a chicken burger at our local Mcdonalds. They gave her the chicken only. No bun, no topping  ::)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2011, 06:11:30 PM »
...  the waitress accidentally dumped a soda all over my husband and the management's response was "You're lucky she didn't dump a plate on you".

I think I would have said, "Actually, YOU are lucky she didn't dump a plate on me!"

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
The Nando's near where we live  does that.

Nando's!  Isn't that the place with the commercial where the woman can't find her french fries?

BWAHAHAHAHA

Sorry  ;D .