Author Topic: Merchants of shame: Never eating here again.  (Read 50935 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Merchants of shame: Never eating here again.
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
I work at the DMV, and what I have started seeing this last year is that teen first time drivers often have no idea how to sign their name.

:o
Yeah, that makes sense.  Some years ago, most schools stopped teaching the kids how to write in cursive. No cursive = no signature.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Stormtreader

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
I work at the DMV, and what I have started seeing this last year is that teen first time drivers often have no idea how to sign their name.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Some years ago, most schools stopped teaching the kids how to write in cursive. No cursive = no signature.

Ive noticed that since Chip and PIN came in everywhere, I have trouble signing my name - I just never need to do it anymore! Add to that that my job is all typing, and the old writing muscles just arent kept in shape any more...

Moonie

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
I have two grandchildren. The one in middle school was never taught cursive writing, but the one in fourth grade is currently learning cursive.  The older one went to elementary school in a different school district than we currently are in, so I guess that is the difference.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
My cursive looks like an 8-year-old's - I always print.

When I changed my name many years ago, I delayed doing it until I designed myself a signature.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »

Ive noticed that since Chip and PIN came in everywhere, I have trouble signing my name - I just never need to do it anymore! Add to that that my job is all typing, and the old writing muscles just arent kept in shape any more...

My handwriting has become appalling because I type too much instead. I really like this: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/handwriting (This particular installment is clean, but there is some language elsewhere on the site.)

My signature is pretty automatic, though--but even that gets progressively worse if I am signing a lot of forms in one day. The first signature is pretty. The tenth one has two legible letters in it! ;D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:42 AM »
I like the comment "The handwriting of a 5-year-old with Parkinson's after 5 quarts of Mountain Dew."

Darcy

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
When I was in sixth grade (about twelve years now), our teacher had either type our essays or write them in cursive.  Our computer was malfunctioning, so I wrote in cursive.  But I'm also a bit artistic, and I changed up some of my lettering (especially for my signature) so it looked prettier.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »
Back to eating (or not) could we please get?
Words mean things.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
Back to eating (or not) could we please get?

Are we too far off topic for you, Yoda?  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
Okay - this past weekend gave me a post that ONLY fits here.

We met Lil Sis (who drove over from the Johnson Space Center area to Sugar Land - takes about an hour, for those NOT in Houston) at T.G.I.Fridays for a late lunch on Sunday (three day weekend).  We ordered appetizers to share (dumplings with soy sauce and flat bread with cheese) then meals (she had Chicken Brushetta).  We drank water with lemon slices (he's diabetic, I have to avoid caffeine, and she doesn't like soda).  VorGuy and I had other foods - which I don't mention because we HAVE $150 in gift cards to use up before we can say something like that).  This was about 2:30 pm (late lunch).

Lil Sis has two allergies (prickling in mouth and the rest of the digestive tract stage for asparagus and flax seed).  She is sensitive to ALL artificial sweeteners (she's tried all but one, that she knows of).  "Digestive" upsets - she will feel like she needs to throw up then spend a lot of time in the bathroom, purging for the next couple of days (but not throwing up).

After chatting - we split into two parties (VorGuy was going home to watch football and rest, as he'd had to work for three hours).  Lil Sis and I were going to go shopping.

We get out to the car and she realizes that she feels "bad" - like she's eaten something that disagreed with her but no prickling in her esophogus.  I go back into the restaurant to mention that she's feeling bad and we NEED to know what was in the food, because she is reacting as if she'd eaten something on her short list of "allergens & sensitivities".  I'm thinking maybe something in the slightly sweet soy sauce & ginger dip for the pot sticker dumplings??

Turns out that there was artificial sweetner in everything Lil Sis ate (except the water with lemon slices).  Flatbread with cheese & herbs?  Chicken Brushetta (pasta in a creamy sauce)?  Sweet monkey fritters!?  Artificial sweetener?  YGBK!

I went out to tell her that it was in everything she'd eaten.  Everything.  We head over to the closest fabric store to check for yarn.  It's about 3:30 to four and she is feeling worse instead of better - so we leave the JoAnn's and head to the hospital across the state highway (literally - less than a mile as the crow flies - rather longer as we have to go down the access road, under the overpass, and back down the access road to the hospital.  Where we stay from close to 5 pm until after 10 pm, she ends up getting called back about 6 pm (and voids her stomach contents into a blue plastic bag) as we are walking to the nurse to get processed.  About 8 they have a room for her and she gets nausea meds & an IV.

Due to other medical issues, she is immune suppressed and anything that kick starts her immune system is going to make the underlying condition flare up - it causes nerve damage - she doesn't want that happening.  So she watches what she eats to avoid anything that has ever caused problems before and reads menus carefully.

VorGuy picks me up and we get chicken soup, gas up the car, and pack a bag in case I take her home (an hour to drive one way) then go back to the ER to see how she's doing about 10 pm.  Forty minutes later, she's checking out as they have finished the IV (rehydrating her) and the nausea meds are working.

She spends the night.....she is never going back to T.G.I.Fridays again as there was no mention on the menu that everything apparently is made with artificial sweeteners - and she refuses to eat somewhere without "warnings" about ingredients that can cause problems for some people (especially everything cooked - very few artificial sweeteners can handle being heated) not being mentioned as being used, at all.

We know to ask before ordering if she's with us or call first if she's going to meet us - but - who expects artificial sweetener in cheese toast & chicken pasta????
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »
VorFemme, that's scary.

Unfortunately, as much as we *should* be able to do it, we can't rely on restaurants to make upfront disclosures of all ingredients. My SIL ended up in hospital because the seemingly innocuous cucumber dip she had at a restaurant had nuts added, so finely ground they were undetectable. There are so many possible allergens and sensitivities, I suppose restaurants simply concentrate on the main ones, and TGIF apparently believes that artificial sweeteners are not significant issues for most people (something that, clearly, they should reconsider).
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
Eating out is certainly a minefield sometimes.

My Dad loves Applebee's.  I mean loves.  I can't eat in there as I'm allergic to honey, and it's in everything.  The bread, the barbecue sauce, many of the salad dressings.  So when he HAS to go there, I drink water and go home and eat.  A lot of chain stores have so much preprepared food that is just reheated that it's difficult to customize.

The only place my Mom likes to eat is Red Lobster.  I'm also sensitive to fish.  It's not fun to go out to eat with my parents anymore. 

Kaypeep

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
I'm sorry that happened to your sister, but I have to say that I think the fault lies with her.  I believe every restaurant has it printed on their menu to please let your server, waiter, chef, whomever, if you have allergies.  While I agree with you that the foods you mentioned do not give cause to think about artificial sweetners as an ingredient, the fact is if you have a serious allergy you can not be careful enough.  I was watching a cooking show last week where regular people share their family recipes.  The woman was making tomato sauce and added two packets of sweet and low.  I gagged watching this, as I hate S&L's aftertaste and can't imagine contaminating a lovely tomato sauce with chemicals like that. But it made me realize that you never know what someone's "secret ingredient" is.  Many breads have trace amounts of sugar, as would the dipping sauce for the dumplings.  These could be switched to an artificial sweetner as well.  Bruschetta with tomatoes - some places add a bit of sugar to cut down on acidity.   I think your sis was in the wrong here, not TGIFridays.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
It was in the flatbread toasted with cheese, too.  It's a good thing we decided to pass on dessert...it would probably have been in the vanilla bean cheesecake.

The tiny amount in the sweetened soy, garlic, and ginger sauce wouldn't have caused a problem because it was something that she dipped two (out of the six on the plate) dumplings. 

Sweet & Low breaks down with heat, as do most of the other artificial sweetners.  We were wondering if it was Splenda (she got served it once at a friend's house who ONLY has diet drinks & sweeteners on hand - it was in a glass and she didn't realize that the "Coke" was actually "Diet Coke" until she went into the kitchen to get some water - she was told that Splenda CAN'T cause any issues - but before she saw the bottle, she'd felt the warning nausea - which was why she switched to water).

Splenda, sugar, and honey might cut the acidity on a tomato sauce - hadn't thought about that (I love tomato sauces on pasta).

She already asks about flax seed in all "whole grain breads" - but hadn't thought about artificial sweeteners except in drinks or possibly desserts.....not appetizers & main dishes.

They may not be in the right - but when you spend seven hours with someone getting sick (throwing up, chills, nausea, headache bordering on migraine, and the like) you know that they didn't WANT to do this to themselves.  This was the worst reaction she's ever had (first time she threw up) so she's going to start asking about artificial sweeteners...and will not be back a second time to any place that has artificial sweeteners in EVERYTHING.  Literally - the kitchen manager looked at the items I showed him on the menu and said that there were artificial sweeteners in EVERYTHING at our table - my Chicken Parmesan and a "teriyaki" glazed beef dish that VorGuy had, too.  We don't react - so we'll be back.

But going out with her just got a step added - "ask about artificial sweeteners in the appetizers, salad dressings, and main dishes".
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Otterpop

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
Wow!  I've never heard of this before.  I HATE artificial sweetners in anything (but Coke Zero).  In CHEEZE bread, sauces?  :o