Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

Lord grant me a barrel of bean dip until November

(1/5) > >>

bms2000:
I hate talking politics, with anyone. If they agree with me, there is no point. If they disagree with me, an argument may ensue. So I just don't talk politics if I can avoid it.
Enter my best friend. I would give her a kidney if she asked but:
1) She always talks politics any chance she gets
2) She always tells me what her father's political views are, at length. (And she always votes as her father does, despite the fact that she is 39)
3) She is of the opposite political party from me. I try not to hold this against her. But there are times when I want to bang my head, or hers, against a wall.

Now, in the interest of friendship, I keep doing the "Well, you know my views. Bean dip?". Over and over and over. But ehell preserve me

I AM GOING TO KILL THE WOMAN BY NOVEMBER

Ahem. Sorry. Bad BMS.

So do I keep bean dipping? Do I say "This is the last time I will say this: Please do not discuss politics with me."? Do I stick my fingers in my ears and sing "Old MacDonald" until November? What do you do when your friend's favorite sport is politics?

VorFemme:
Change the subject to weddings, dinner parties, library books, hand them a copy of one of the Anne Coulter books to read, or tell them you are planning a vacation and need to know what they think of Timbuktu.............

Tell them your shopping list for Christmas.........

Pull out the big guns and tell them about your latest medical appointment (the grosser the better) but ONLY if they bring up politics.  If they want to talk about ANYTHING else - reward their discretion by having a normal conversation.

But politics brings out some weird tangent...........maybe even a tin foil hat..........

Alida:
"I'm sorry, I really don't like discussing politics. How was XYZ for you?"

Be honest. Just let her know - look, I don't want to talk about this.

wordgirl:
I don't think bean-dipping her will work forever, honestly. At some point you've got to say "Look. You and I are just never going to agree about this so it's best we NEVER talk politics. Can we agree on that?" And when she agrees (as she almost certainly must) then you need only to remind her whenever she gets anywhere near something political.

MDefarge:

--- Quote from: wordgirl on September 02, 2008, 11:11:58 PM ---I don't think bean-dipping her will work forever, honestly. At some point you've got to say "Look. You and I are just never going to agree about this so it's best we NEVER talk politics. Can we agree on that?" And when she agrees (as she almost certainly must) then you need only to remind her whenever she gets anywhere near something political.

--- End quote ---

This is probably the best way to handle it - I am party A my dad is party B - We love each other dearly and *do not* talk politics except in the most general sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version