News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 08:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hot Drinks  (Read 4469 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Hot Drinks
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »
Black Forest Hot Chocolate

Cherry tea (not Celestial Seasonings or other spice, but full fruit flavor like Forelli's)
1-2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3-4 tbsp nonfat dry milk
1-2 packets Splenda

Brew cherry tea with 10 oz boiling water until dark.  Remove bag or strain over dry ingredients, stir well.

Outdoor Girl

Re: Hot Drinks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »
Mulled Cranberry

1 large jug of cranberry juice (3.78 L, which I think is 1 US gallon?)
1 can of frozen raspberry cocktail (hard to find - any berry fruit flavour would be OK)
5 4" cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves

Break up the cinnamon sticks into about 1" pieces.  Tie the cinnamon and cloves in a cheesecloth bag.  Pour the juices into a large pot and add the bag (I tie it to the handle of the pot).  Simmer for about an hour on low heat.  Serve with about an inch of red wine in the bottom of the mug, if you choose.

Bonus:  Also makes the house smell really good, especially for a winter party.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Tai

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
Pumpkin Spice Latte: 

1 cup very strong coffee
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon pumpkin puree
1 Tablespoon sugar (I use dark brown, that's what I have near the coffeemaker!)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 ground clove, 1/8 nutmeg)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use 1/2 tsp double strength)
Sugar to taste

Blend milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and spices in blender (I use a magic bullet).  Zap in microwave till hot.  Pour over hot coffee, sweeten as desired. 

I also add a bit of coffeemate (I use 1% or skim milk, it seems to make it taste richer if you add the coffeemate) and sprinkle nutmeg on top. 

I use canned pumpkin, and I store the leftover pumpkin in the freezer.  I freeze it into icecube trays, then pop the pumpkin cubes into a bag.  To use frozen pumpkin cubes, I heat the milk mixture before blending. 

aventurine

• Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »
Wassail

1 gallon apple cider
2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups cranberry juice
1 can frozen orange juice concentrate, prepared w/water
1 small can frozen lemonade concentrate, prepared w/water
2 cups water
4 cups sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1 T whole cloves
1 T ground ginger

Mix it all in a stock pot, and heat until steaming.  Strain to remove solid spices, or tie them in a cheesecloth bag. 

Delicious, addictive, better as it ages, better hot but surprisingly refreshing iced.

Enjoy!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
Peppermint milk:

2 cups milk(any type, ie: whole, skim, etc)
15 starlight mints or 3 candy canes, crushed(or more, if you like, this is just a starting point)

Pour milk into a small saucepan, add crushed mints.
Heat over low to medium low until the mints are disolved and the milk is slightly steaming.

(really simple yes, but my Mom used to make it for us when we had upset tummies)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

OhHai!

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
"Russian" Tea Mix

(not sure where the name came from, but it's what we've always called it.)

This is for a mix that can be stored in an airtight container - I've stored it for as much as two years, but it doesn't usually last that long.  When you are ready for tea, heat some water.  Put some mix (amount to taste - I usually use 4 for a standard mug, 8 for a travel-size mug) in the cup, pour in hot water, and mix.  I think of it as a spiced tea, though there's actually not much tea in it.

Russian Tea Mix

Ingredients:
2 cups dry Tang (I think any random orange drink mix would work, but I'm not sure - we've always used Tang)
1/2 cup instant tea
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 package Wyler's Lemonade Mix (with sugar)
           (Note - I can't find Wyler's in the Midwest - I think it's a Southern US thing.  I take any random lemonade mix that has the sugar already added, and use the amount that you would use to make 2 quarts of lemonade, since that's what the Wyler's mix made)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coves.

Mix well or sift several times.  Store in tight container.  To serve, add 2 or 3 heaping teaspoons per cup of hot water.

LB

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »
No more replies to this topic please - editing in progress.