Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Answering the door in the wee hours (long)

(1/4) > >>

Mopsy428:
A bit of BG: I live in an apartment by myself on the 1st floor of a two story building; I think there are 3 or 4 other apartments besides mine. I have to unlock the front door, and then I walk through the hallway to get my apartment door. The front door has two locks. The top lock has a deadbolt. The bottom lock automatically locks when you close it. No one in the apartment has the keys to the top lock, and I was told by the landlord not to lock the top one since you can only unlock it from the inside.

So tonight I get home around 10 PM after dinner. The top lock to the front door is locked and I can't get in. I rang the first floor bell. No answer. I rang the second floor's bell. No answer. I did this 3 times. I know the bells worked because I could hear them from the outside. I waited at least 7 minutes. (I know this because I looked at my watch and it was 10:08 PM, and after I got off the subway, it was a little before 10 PM.) Finally, after I realized that someone HAD to be in the house for the door to be locked, I started knocking on the door and pressing the bells for a longer period of time. Obnoxious? Maybe, but it's nighttime, hotter than heck, and I wanted to shower and go to bed. Plus, I'm 5'2 and 108 lbs....I don't want to be standing around all night in front of my apartment.

So finally, someone on the top floor asks from the balcony, "Who is making all that noise?" I answered, "I live on the 1st floor. Someone locked the top lock and I can't get in. Could you please open the door?"

This woman comes down, lets me in, and tells me I was making noise and it was after 10 o'clock. She was rather annoyed. I said, "I know. I'm sorry, but I rang 3 times for each floor. No one has the key to the top lock, so we aren't supposed to lock it. Someone must have accidentally locked the top one. I couldn't get into the building."

Then the woman says that she locked it and proceeded to lock the top lock.  ??? I explained to her patiently why we couldn't lock the top lock. She says that we have to. I said, "No. No one has the key. The landlord said not to lock the top lock. The bottom one locks automatically." She just wasn't getting it, even though she said that she KNEW that no one had the key to the top lock, but she "has to lock it anyway". I finally said, "What happens when the other tenants come back and can't get in?" She said, "You live on the first floor. You can answer the door."

Ummm....I don't think so. I PAY to live here; I'm not the front door security guard. I'm not on call to answer the doors at all hours of the night because you decide to lock the lock that you aren't supposed to lock. I'm a bit appalled by her flippant attitude about this. She was annoyed because I made noise to get in and she had to answer the door, yet I'm supposed to happily answer the doors when the others come in? WHAT?!

I left it at that with the tenant. She went upstairs; I unlocked the top lock, and now I'm shooting my landlord an e-mail requesting to have the key to the top lock or have someone explain to the upstairs tenant NOT to lock the top lock. I hate doing this, but I'm not playing this game every time I want to enter the building.

Side note: I'm really annoyed that she knows that no one has the key, but locks the door, and then gets upset when I "make noise" to get in after she ignored my "patient" bells. What did she think was going to happen? How did she think I was going to get into the building? Break in? Wait until the morning when someone walked out?

BethanyAnne:
Hmmm....seems like she thinks she had the right to impose a curfew on the rest of the tenants. You don't come home before she goes to bed, then you don't come home at all. Rude. The landlord needs to talk to her and explain that it is not up to her to decide what goes on in the apartment building.

NOVA Lady:
To be honest this is an unacceptable situation to me and I think the landlord needs to make and hand out keys for all locks on the common door.

Whats to stop someone (the woman you encountered specifically) from simply NOT letting you in. Then you're stuck outside your apartment at night.

You landlord needs to either

1. Disable the lock

or

2. Provide a key for the lock.

This is not something I would play around with, the other tenants should not be controlling your access to your home.

Elle:
COMPLETELY unacceptable.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: MarinaDCA on September 05, 2008, 11:53:03 PM ---To be honest this is an unacceptable situation to me and I think the landlord needs to make and hand out keys for all locks on the common door.

Whats to stop someone (the woman you encountered specifically) from simply NOT letting you in. Then you're stuck outside your apartment at night.

You landlord needs to either

1. Disable the lock

or

2. Provide a key for the lock.

This is not something I would play around with, the other tenants should not be controlling your access to your home.

--- End quote ---

This.

Or else you need to call your LANDLORD at 10:08 and ask him to unlock the lock that he has left there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version