noone

« on: September 06, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:02:28 AM by noone »

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
Re: Political assumption based on 1 item of clothing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:31:36 PM »
Ah yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed if random sales people were making assumptions about my political party based on if I was wearing pearls or not - however I'd be beyond annoyed that they felt they had to SAY something about it - and if it wasn't my (your) friend's store, I probably wouldn't shop there again - definitely a good call in letting your friend know what's going on.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:38:17 PM by irishone »

BethanyAnne

• "It's like teaching Lincoln to use an Iphone."
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
Discussing politics with customers is a big no-no  :o She mustn't have ever worked in retail before. At least not successfully.

littleblue

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »
that's not just an interesting assumption, that's a whacky one.   ;)  I can't even figure out which party would have exclusive rights on pearl wearing - that's just so strange!

morgielefae

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:24:37 AM »
that's not just an interesting assumption, that's a whacky one.   ;)  I can't even figure out which party would have exclusive rights on pearl wearing - that's just so strange!

The oyster party, maybe?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 07:47:38 AM »
First you're a customer, and she shouldn't be making comments on your political affiliation. Second she shouldn't be basing them off an assumption.

To demonstrate the problem with her assumption, I honestly couldn't imagine what political parties would be associated with pearls, so I googled it. So far I have five, plus candidiates from several parties wearing them, and there are probably more.

I would mention it to your friend, as it is possible the assistant will make other assumptions that offend customers. It may not be intentional, but she does need to be corrected. Hopefully she only said it because you are on a first name basis, and she isn't doing that to other customers.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:00:26 AM »
I know where the assumption came from, as pearls are popular with a certain segment of society in my part of the world, but my sister wears pearls and couldn't be further from that party if she tried.

LadyofMaine

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »
Which is why I never wear purple on Thursdays.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :-*

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
Ooh, people who want to discuss politics with strangers make me mad!((which is a personal choice, I'll admit)
I used to be a cashier in a grocery store, and we were supposed to ask "Did you find everything today?" while checking out their groceries. Alot of people would say "I didn't find that million dollars!"((ha, ha)), but I once had a young-ish man say "I didn't find "Terrorist with a Name like a certain Political Figure"!". I clenched up and said(coldly, I admit) "I do not discuss politics at work".

I don't understand why people feel the need to put their beliefs out there in what may be hostile waters.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
I don't understand why people feel the need to put their beliefs out there in what may be hostile waters.

Because not everyone feels certain topics are forbidden in polite company, but most of us tread lighter than he did.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
Even if it was appropriate to discuss politics... assuming you are of a certain party because you wear pearls?? I understand exactly why she jumped to that conclusion, and I still find it completely ridiculous.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »
Ooh, people who want to discuss politics with strangers make me mad!((which is a personal choice, I'll admit)
I used to be a cashier in a grocery store, and we were supposed to ask "Did you find everything today?" while checking out their groceries. Alot of people would say "I didn't find that million dollars!"((ha, ha)), but I once had a young-ish man say "I didn't find "Terrorist with a Name like a certain Political Figure"!". I clenched up and said(coldly, I admit) "I do not discuss politics at work".

"Ah, you didn't find Osama because we are fresh out!"

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 04:30:53 PM »

"Ah, you didn't find Osama because we are fresh out!"
That would have been cute, if my DF(then BF) wasn't Muslim and hadn't been harassed because he is swarthy and has an unusual name.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Olivia

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »

With all due respect, I don't think that was really a political comment.  I don't think there is anyone in America from any political party that doesn't want to find said terrorist.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 01:07:53 PM »

With all due respect, I don't think that was really a political comment.  I don't think there is anyone in America from any political party that doesn't want to find said terrorist.
*Raises Hand* I would not. I have all faith in the United Nations, and that is all I care to say on the matter.