Author Topic: ...  (Read 8951 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Political assumption based on 1 item of clothing
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
If he'd said "I didn't find Jimmy Hoffa," would you have accused him of union-bashing? Or of associating Italian-Americans with crime?

I think he mentioned the aboved-named terrorist in the sense of "I didn't find (insert thing/person] people are looking for". It was a joke.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
If he'd said "I didn't find Jimmy Hoffa," would you have accused him of union-bashing? Or of associating Italian-Americans with crime?

I think he mentioned the aboved-named terrorist in the sense of "I didn't find (insert thing/person] people are looking for". It was a joke.

I agree. It's like saying "I didn't find the Lindbergh baby." Not political, just an example of something difficult to find.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Olivia

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
Ooh, people who want to discuss politics with strangers make me mad!((which is a personal choice, I'll admit)
I used to be a cashier in a grocery store, and we were supposed to ask "Did you find everything today?" while checking out their groceries. Alot of people would say "I didn't find that million dollars!"((ha, ha)), but I once had a young-ish man say "I didn't find "Terrorist with a Name like a certain Political Figure"!". I clenched up and said(coldly, I admit) "I do not discuss politics at work".

I don't understand why people feel the need to put their beliefs out there in what may be hostile waters.

With all due respect, I don't think that was really a political comment.  I don't think there is anyone in America from any political party that doesn't want to find said terrorist.
*Raises Hand* I would not. I have all faith in the United Nations, and that is all I care to say on the matter.

I don't want to threadjack, and I know overtly political discussions are verboten on this site, but if someone could PM me with an explanation of this statement, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm thoroughly confused. 

NevermoreLenore

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
Thanks so certain recent film releases, when asked my political party, I always respond with a hearty "I believe in Harvey Dent." Not only does it keep conflict down but it usually garners a good chuckle or at least an amusingly confused stare.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
With all due respect, I don't think that was really a political comment.  I don't think there is anyone in America from any political party that doesn't want to find said terrorist.

POD, I would have been pretty confused at your response, particularly since I don't really consider that comment to be political in the least.  The mere fact that he mentioned a notoriously hard to find terrorist's name means he doesn't like people of middle eastern descent, such as your boyfriend, either (many of my friends who are Persian and Afghani would dearly like to have him found as well).

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »
I can think of what party the most likely though because pearls tend to very popular with certian demographics that sometimes lean more that way.  I say sometimes because I wear a lot of pearls.  Whan I first started collecting them people told me I wasn't old enough to wear pearls.  Till they saw the pearls.  I have sinlge strands of white and black but I also have another dozens peieces in different colors (my favorite right now are potato pearls which are a pretty bronzy color) and in very modern styles.  I love floating pearls and clusters and pearls mounted on lovely metal work.

These are not your grandmothers perls.  The sales girl needs better fashion sense.
93 93/93

mysticwolf

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
LOL! When I was growing up the only "real" jewelry that was considered appropriate for a young girl (anywhere from infancy through 18) were pearls. It was very common to start a girl's string of pearls at birth or on her first birthday. A new pearl was added to the string each year, usually graduating upward in size as the child grew. I still have mine.

Wendy Moira Angela Pan

• Formerly Ms. Wendy
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »
I love pearls and I wear them all the time. Plus they're very fashionable this season. I just got some cute pearl hair clips and a stretchy cuff bracelet (not real pearls, but I have some of those too). If I saw some one wearing a button of the party I support, I might say something but not at work. That's unprofessional.

Joannie81

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 10:14:38 PM »
I wear pearls, and I don't have any political party. 

I do get some clients trying to find out who I vote for at elections, but I always tell them that I prefer to keep my politics to myself.  It always seems to work. 

TheCrosswordPuzzler

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
My husband got me a lovely strand of pearls with matching earrings for our 12th anniversary.  It was an unexpected and fantastic surprise gift.  I immediately put them on.

I happened to be wearning a pair of khaki shorts and a sleeveless black top with...my birkenstocks, and this is how I was dressed for an anniversary movie and dinner.

I wonder what affiliations a bystander would have gleaned from me stepping out of my Prius, in my pearls and birkenstocks? :)

Angela

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »
that's not just an interesting assumption, that's a whacky one.   ;)  I can't even figure out which party would have exclusive rights on pearl wearing - that's just so strange!

The oyster party, maybe?

But the oysters are the ones being deprived of their sole posession! I hardly think the Oyster Party would support the wearing of pearls!  :o Tsk, tsk, tsk!

;) :P ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

holly firestorm

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
Ooh, people who want to discuss politics with strangers make me mad!((which is a personal choice, I'll admit)
I used to be a cashier in a grocery store, and we were supposed to ask "Did you find everything today?" while checking out their groceries. Alot of people would say "I didn't find that million dollars!"((ha, ha)), but I once had a young-ish man say "I didn't find "Terrorist with a Name like a certain Political Figure"!". I clenched up and said(coldly, I admit) "I do not discuss politics at work".

I don't understand why people feel the need to put their beliefs out there in what may be hostile waters.

Goes double for religion!!!  If I mention either with people I don't know well, I at least try to do it in an unassuming, non-threatening way.  I might say "Well, if such and such is true..."  I hate it when people just assume that because they believe a particular religion or political party is right they have the monopoly on truth and the right, no obligation to assume everyone else MUST agree with them.  This goes for my own political and spiritual beliefs as well.

K12144

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »
This reminds me that I should get out my pearls and actually wear them to keep them nice.  I rarely wear them because A. I never go anywhere pearl-worthy!  And B. I'm afraid I'd forget to take them off before bed--I'm the sort of person who wears certain pieces of jewelry all the time and never takes them off, so it's very likely I'd forget--and then either end up tugging on and breaking the strand during the night (mine aren't individually knotted so I'd lose them all) or take a shower and ruin them by getting soap on them or something.  And C. I'm vegetarian--I got the pearls long before I was--and it sort of bothers me to wear them now, and I also feel like people will find me hypocritical.