Author Topic: Where can I donate [prom] dresses?  (Read 6520 times)

Sibby

Where can I donate [prom] dresses?
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:31:16 PM »
I have two formal dresses (both were bridesmaid's dresses, altho one wasn't marketed that way), each with matching shawls, one with matching shoes & purse as well.

Honestly i'm never going to wear either again, altho they are lovely. 

Does anyone know of a school or organization that collects dresses for underprivledged girls to have as prom dresses?  I live in a pretty 'upper middle class' area so donating to a local charity/thift shop seems like it would go to someone thrifty more than someone in need (not that there is anything wrong with thrifty, I donate all the time, I just wanted to go above & beyond this time).

dietcokeofevil

Re: Where can I donate [prom] dresses?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »
Try contacting local high schools.  They should be able to put you in touch with the right group. 

Claire

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »
The San Francisco Bay Area has something called The Princess Project. http://www.princessproject.org/princess

You might see whether they know of similar organizations in your area.

Tosha Go

• lurker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »
I thought about donating my old prom dresses until I realized that they were 10 years old.  Will organizations take dresses that old?  They aren't really out of date, they are actually pretty nice.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:09:17 PM »
I dont' know if this helps, but when I was at the YMCA last week, they were looking for prom dresses and had an organization's contact info posted.  Perhaps they might know?

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »
I thought about donating my old prom dresses until I realized that they were 10 years old.  Will organizations take dresses that old?  They aren't really out of date, they are actually pretty nice.

I should think so. There is always somebody looking for something vintage or outside mainstream/modern fashion (and yes, for a lot of people, 10 years IS old enough for "vintage"!)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:37:27 AM »

http://www.after-prom.org/prom_attire_redux.html

...has a list broken up into US states and localities. I haven't used it yet. It looks like a centralized web-page of places where you can donate in your area, as opposed to one centralized organization.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ButterflieRJ

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 03:30:29 PM »
My cousin works at a Chicago Public School and organized something herself.  I gave her 3 or 4 dressed that didn't fit my neighbor (she gets first pick ;) I used to babysit her).  If you have any friends who are involved in the school system any way maybe talk to them to see if it would be something they're interested it doing.

You could even see if you can post flyers in the local high schools offering them for donation.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 12:08:15 PM »
Thank you for caring.

Years ago, I was  shopping at a small thrift store (fundraiser type) and a social worker came in looking for a prom dress for a client.   

Since I knew all the thrift stores in the area, I butted in (rude of me, I know) and told her about the Open-On-Wednesdays Only store that is a well kept secret.

Fortunately, it was Wednesday.

Hope she found one.

Happy_Momma

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 12:32:50 AM »
I know the perfect place if you haven't already found a place, They donated a dress perume etc to my sister for prom and help gals ALL the time!

mlkind1789

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 11:20:04 PM »
I know this is late to the party so to speak, but around my area the Junior League has a program to collect used gowns, they have even teamed up with a local cleaners to have all the dresses cleaned and presses. 

Dragonflymom

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
Sorry this is late, but would any of these places take my old wedding gown from my first wedding?  Its been professionally cleaned and is in perfect condition, but its one of those mid-90s poufy skirted ballgown looking things with short puffy sleeves and is probably somewhat out of date considering all the sleeveless or strapless dresses that are in style now.
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »
I found some clothes in a box in the attic when we moved into our "new" house.  Two were prom dresses - they are very pretty.

But there are small holes and stains so they can't be used for a prom.  They have been washed, dried, and pressed to look pretty - and they will be going to DD's house for a dress up closet for the kids that visit them (neighbors and such). 

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the clothes in the box.  I'm a size 16 (or so anf 5' 8" tall - the exact size number depends on the company that made the outfit).  These are sizes 4, 6, and 8 for petite women some five or six inches shorter..........  I just hate to see Liz Claiborne go into a dress up box..............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?