News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 07, 2015, 04:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bystander....what would you have done/do?  (Read 4506 times)

Octavia

Re: Bystander....what would you have done/do?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
If you don't want to intervene, then consider using your smart phone to record the altercation. Send the video to corporate with a note asking if this manager's behavior is representative of the company's culture. You'll likely get a quick response.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Mary Lennox

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
This thread reminds me of an employee (donít know if she were a manager) who worked at drugstore where I worked (but a year or so before I got there).  I remembered encountering her rude hiney when I tried to buy cigarettes there and she carded me.  I didnít have a problem with being carded (I was 15-16 years old), but I did have a problem with the nasty attitude she threw at me and how she talked about me to others while I was still standing there.

Wait, you tried to break the law and could have possibly gotten her fined and you thought she was rude to have an attitude with you? I think this is one of those rare occasions where she has a right to have an attitude with you. I know I would have a less than polite attitude to some teenager who was trying to involve me in illegal activities.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »
This thread reminds me of an employee (donít know if she were a manager) who worked at drugstore where I worked (but a year or so before I got there).  I remembered encountering her rude hiney when I tried to buy cigarettes there and she carded me.  I didnít have a problem with being carded (I was 15-16 years old), but I did have a problem with the nasty attitude she threw at me and how she talked about me to others while I was still standing there.

Wait, you tried to break the law and could have possibly gotten her fined and you thought she was rude to have an attitude with you? I think this is one of those rare occasions where she has a right to have an attitude with you. I know I would have a less than polite attitude to some teenager who was trying to involve me in illegal activities.

Depends on where you live and what era said story is from...

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 10:03:26 AM »

Depends on where you live and what era said story is from...

If FauxFoodist was being carded to buy cigarettes, I'd assume it was illegal for her as a 15yo to buy cigarettes *and* illegal for the store to sell them to her.

fountainof

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
She said she didn't have a problem with being carded so I would assume she was legal. Back in the olden days  :) you could buy cigarettes at age 15 here, even younger kids could buy them for their parents with a note.  I think the issue is the attitude that the employee talked nasty about her right in front of her, which is rude and unprofessional.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
She also said she 'tried' to buy cigarettes, which I understood to mean that she knew she might not be successful.

---

• Here and There
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »
I'm going against the grain here and vote to keep quiet about it because, like other posters have pointed out, you do not know what the situation was before you overhead the yelling manager. In some instances you going to a higher-tiered manager in the store, or even the corporate office itself, may be viewed as a customer complaint about the young employee and make the situation worse then it already is. In some instances upper management and corporate management can't seem to understand the concept of  "[manager] was very rude to [employee], was berating them for [issue] very publicly, and it's not good business for your managers to be yelling at their employees like that" and might view it as "[employee] did something bad enough that even a customer complained about [employee], fire them!".

Not that the manager was in the right for yelling at the employee, far from it, but sometimes it is not always best to speak up in defense of an employee. The example I gave above may be a long stretch in most companies, it really isn't a hard concept to believe at my current workplace, so it might not happen. I'm just saying that it might not be in the best interest of the employee if you do decide (or already have decided) to contact someone higher in the food chain.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »
Small nondate:
I did write an email to the corporate office.  I stuck with how the incident made me as a customer feel.  I didn't enjoy seeing the manager airing dirty laundry in front of everyone.  It made me think twice about coming back into the store.  I did add the name of the manager (from her name tag), the date and time the incident occurred.  I haven't heard anything back, and at this point I don't think I'm likely to.  I hope the store did address this issue with management. 
Thanks very much for the advice. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:01:27 PM by One Fish, Two Fish »
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:07 PM »
I'm glad you wrote to them. Thanks for updating.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 04:59:01 PM »
Small nondate:
I did write an email to the corporate office.  I stuck with how the incident made me as a customer feel.  I didn't enjoy seeing the manager airing dirty laundry in front of everyone.  It made me think twice about coming back into the store.  I did add the name of the manager (from her name tag), the date and time the incident occurred.  I haven't heard anything back, and at this point I don't think I'm likely to.  I hope the store did address this issue with management. 
Thanks very much for the advice.

It is the law in all US states that one cannot buy cigarettes unless they can prove they are at least 18. Should the clerk have ratted you out publicly, no. Call it a draw because you were both wrong.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #40 on: Yesterday at 06:21:20 PM »
She said she didn't have a problem with being carded so I would assume she was legal. Back in the olden days  :) you could buy cigarettes at age 15 here, even younger kids could buy them for their parents with a note.  I think the issue is the attitude that the employee talked nasty about her right in front of her, which is rude and unprofessional.

Correct.  The other posters are getting focused on the non-issue -- me being carded.  I already said I didn't have a problem with being carded so why it's being used as a reason to excuse an employee for being attitudinal is beyond me.  I worked as a drugstore cashier for six years (including that same drugstore the following year after I was carded).  *Never* was there an acceptable reason to be attitudinal and/or nasty to a customer (and I never was when carding anyone for cigarettes or alcohol and finding they either a) didn't have their ID or b) did and proved to be too young (the second one actually was a shopper from Alcohol & Beverage Control so I and my store would've been in big trouble had I sold to that underage shopper).  In the second drugstore where I worked, good customer service was so important that we were warned we would be terminated immediately if we received so much as a verbal complaint from a customer.  Maybe in your areas you would've been justified to have attitude with a customer attempting to buy something he/she shouldn't be, but my stores never would've been okay with that.  The only thing we were allowed to do was deny the sale and to do so in a professional manner (so no attitude).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: Today at 02:45:49 AM »
Add my vote for letter to corporate.

Anything you say to a manager who's already in such a fury that they're berating workers on the floor is unlikely to be effective.

Worst-case scenario, the manager adds that to the employee's "tally" and they get a double dose as soon as you're out of earshot - one for the original error, once for "embarrassing" the manager.

I was thinking this too. If the manager is so out of line as to berate an employee in front of shoppers, I doubt they'd respond well to being corrected by someone from the peanut gallery, and would probably take their anger out on the employee later.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls