News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 28, 2015, 10:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Food thief-food never leaves  (Read 2282 times)

learningtofly

S/O Food thief-food never leaves
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
I've been with my company for a while now and in the beginning they were cleaning out the fridge once a month.  We were given notice and had special labels for things we wanted to keep i.e. salad dressing, creamer, etc. 

After a couple of times I noticed that nothing was leaving the fridge.  One monday I commented to someone from HR that a foil wrapped something was not labeled and had not been thrown out during the previous Friday clean out of the fridge.  I told her I would throw it out.  She advised me not to as it could be someone's meal.  I told her that there was a tear in the foil wrapping and that I had spent the last month watching it change colors.  Now that it was leaking some mysterious fluid all over the fridge I was going to throw it out, but that if anyone complained to please let me know.  I don't think the fridge clean out is working.

We're running out of space.  I can identify items from corporate lunch and items that have been there longer than I have.  I'm going to ask HR to schedule another clean out.  Can I offer to help?  The fridge smells as does the freezer.  And really, how long do we need to keep the unsealed containers of salad dressing from the April lunch?

Isisnin

Re: S/O Food thief-food never leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:51:20 PM »
Everywhere I've ever worked the refrigerator has always been a problem. The frig could become your permanent responsibility if you volunteer.

I gave up on work frigs and started using insulted lunch bags. Dairy products are fine next to the ice pack.

Whenever frig issues occur, I always say "Don't ask me - I don't use it." One less stress for me at work.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:50:18 AM by Isisnin »

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:29:24 AM »
I think you need to defer to HR on this.  It is not your place to remove things.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:36:17 AM »

Everywhere I've ever worked the refrigerator has always been a problem. The frig could become your permanent responsibility if you volunteer.

I gave up on work frigs and started using insulted lunch bags. Dairy products are fine next to the ice pack.

Whenever frig issues occur, I always say "Don't ask me - I don't use it." One less stress for me at work.
i agree - both that the fridge can become a problem and that it will become *your* problem if you start cleaning it out.

Talk to HR and make sure that your work fridge is on a schedule to be cleaned

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:37:07 AM »
We have notes on our fridges at work, that have the clean-out rules, so to speak. Once a week, maintenance does the cleaning. She mostly follows the rules she herself set, unless she is mad about something. Then she just throws everything out.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »
I agree, you don't want to become the "refrigerator fairy." One such self-appointed person that I knew stirred up quite a bit of anger when she announced everything would go into the garbage on Friday. Then she threw out people's Friday lunches, brought to work that day.

It sounds as if your company has a plan in place for regular clean-outs (with provision for labeling things people want to keep) but may not be following through. Other people must be bothered by the smell and the clutter, too, so maybe you all should take turns talking to whoever originally made the cleanup plan. Or you could place a note on the refrigerator door a few days before clean-out day, reminding people to label anything they want to keep or risk losing it.

ETA: I notice that wonderfullyanonymous made much the same point about the posted notice.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 04:33:58 PM »
I think that if you personally notice something in the fridge that is starting to stink, leak, ooze, etc, and it's clear to you--and you're sure you're accurate--that it's been there way too long, you can completely throw it out.

I think you need to be respectful of property--i.e.., if you take it on yourself to deal with it, you have an obligation go to the extra work of washing the Tupperware if it looks like it's not just another takeout container.

Or you can send an emai to the work group to say, "SOmeone has a lentil soup in the fridge that has been there at least a week, and it's starting to mold/smell. Please get it out of the fridge right away.

Aquamarine

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:28:17 PM »
Get a refrigerated bag and keep it in your workspace.  Ignore the frig, don't use it and don't discuss it in any further, let it fester until it creates some drama, it should all be very entertaining.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:13:16 PM »
Get a refrigerated bag and keep it in your workspace.  Ignore the frig, don't use it and don't discuss it in any further, let it fester until it creates some drama, it should all be very entertaining.

This is what I would do. I don't mind cleaning up, but I draw the line at handling old moldy food. No way am I opening any tupperware full of mold and stink and washing it when they don't care about the items enough to do it themselves.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:50:07 PM »
The only way that I clean science experiments if if the containers are glass and I have access to a dishwasher with extra bleach, detergent, hot water, and a heated dry...and I might run it twice before calling the glass container "clean" again.

Disposable plastic containers are meant to be disposed of in the event of fuzzy moldy stuff of which it is difficult, if not impossible, to know what the original contents were, not matter what color that fuzzy mold is. 

Plastic bags - toss sealed and double up on trash bags, in case of breaking bags (trash or food storage bags).

Lots of bleach in water to wipe down the turned off fridge & let it dry/air out overnight - then wipe down with white vinegar & water to smell better.  Turn back on and wait 24 hours before putting food into it. 

If the smell still lingers - pass out personal insulated lunch bags to everyone with an ice pack that they can freeze at home & get a coin operated drink dispenser that no one can stick anything but cans or bottles of beverages into. 

I had a freezer that failed (wire to the plug broke - no power for a week) while I had strep throat and no sense of smell to speak of. 

I could still smell "enough" to have me gagging - even after cleaning, disinfecting, and leaving open outside in the sunlight to try to kill the odor. 

Nothing was fuzzy...it was worse.  Believe me.  Don't ask about it.

Thinking about it too long gives me the ghost of that odor sneaking into my sinuses. 

If I look at an office fridge and wonder...I go with an insulated lunch sized cooler of some kind (hard shell or soft shell).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?