News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 06, 2015, 11:13:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to "Fake it 'till you make it"  (Read 1647 times)

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
Re: How to "Fake it 'till you make it"
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:16:19 AM »
I was in a similar situation once (except I got pressured into paying for my ticket, and I really, really resented it).  I love the theatre, but I hate musicals, really hate them.  I am not saying that they are an inferior art form, just that I am not in their target demographic.  I'm glad they exist for people who love them; I just don't want to have to sit through them myself.  I also like smaller, more intimate theatre productions, so I can be near the actors, see their expressions, have that feeling of being near the performance.

For a work thing once I got pushed into going to "Les Miz."  So far back in this giant auditorium that the actors were just blobs.  Really one of the most delightful evenings for many of my former colleagues; one of the most painfully boring and uncomfortable for me.  I paid to sit there and fake liking something that was like nails on a chalkboard for hours.  (And again, I know it was wonderful for others.  Just not my thing).

I sucked it up and dealt with it.  I am so sorry you're in a similar position, OP.  At least you don't have to pay for it.  I think the advice to sit as far from the comedy-loving boss as possible is very good advice. 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

EMuir

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:58:06 AM »
Be sick that day.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 12:58:52 PM »
I just mentioned this in another thread, but once "for my birthday" a friend convinced me to go on a trip with her, and her birthday present to me would be paying for the ticket of a show she wanted to see. It was a musical version of one of her favorite movies ever, which I had never seen and had no interest in. I ended up agreeing to go.

My seat was not the greatest--there was a tall person in front of me who partially blocked the view. Which was okay, because I wasn't that interested in seeing the stage anyway. For a lot of the show I just sat there with my eyes unfocused, daydreaming, paying just enough attention to my friend's body language to fake-laugh or applaud whenever she was. I probably did not do the very best job, but there was nothing overt she could point to and I certainly wasn't rude.
~Lynn2000

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 01:12:01 PM »
I was going to suggest if asked "you don't seem to be having a good time" just mention that you're fighting a headache but you'll be fine.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 01:37:04 PM »
Remember to smile, or if you can't smile then rest your elbow on the armrest, your thumb on your cheek, and your pointer finger on your nose. It will block your frown/nonexpression from the view of your boss, and make it look as if you are focusing intently on the stage/act.
Afterwards you can remark to the effect of, "That was a new experience for me, there was so much to take in!"

Did you like the act? "I haven't processed it yet, but what an experience!"

Should we come again next year? "Have you seen the other venue, I've heard it's fantastic too, maybe next year we should go there and compare!"

Arila

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 04:19:48 PM »
I like the idea that you should comment on the experience and the intent.

Find many positive things to say about the whole thing. So, as you all are walking out of the office to head over there, "Isn't it a beautiful day outside?" When you meet in front of the venue, "So great to get to see youa ll in a relaxed atmosphere!" Pay someone a compliment - You like this lady's scarf, or someone pulled out a hat to wear outdoors that you like.

Honestly, if you can be genuinely (but not so OTT that they think something's up) positive about things throughout the outing, they probably won't notice that you weren't super enthusiastic about the show. You could spend the whole show thinking of something positive to say about something related to the show to your boss. "I thought that pun in the second sketch was pretty clever" Try to find at least ONE thing. Listen with a critic's ear. You don't have to find it funny, you just have to observe academically and say something a bit better than neutral  about it, and then you can honestly thank your boss for thinking of you all and providing this opportunity to spend relaxed social time with your colleagues.

Benni

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:26:48 PM »
Come down with a case of food poisoning and regretfully you are too ill to attend.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 10:46:24 PM »
While I know how it feels to be bored to tears, it seems like the real problem is not the show, it's the fact that you expect your boss and/or co-workers to pressure you about how you are feeling, almost as if you "owe" them a big reaction.

In a personal relationship, I'd want to address that head-on because it's not healthy. In a work situation, yeah faking it is probably your best bet.

My kids often want/need my enthusiasm over stuff that is mind-numbingly boring. And they can always tell when they don't really have my full attention. So what I do, is make my reaction about how happy I am to see *them* happy, and noticing what *they* like about it. 1) That is totally sincere, and 2) it redirects their attention back to the thing that made them happy in the first place, enhancing their enjoyment.

"I saw you laughing at that joke about [thing]! I thought you were going to fall out of your chair!"
"When the comedian said [wisecrack], I knew that was going to get you started."
"Oh, great. (sarcastically), Now the TPS Reports are always going to remind me of [joke Boss laughed really hard at]"

This has the added bonus that by watching for this stuff, it will take your mind off the mind-numbingly boring stuff.
                www.ellenseltz.com

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:53:33 AM »
Can you be a photographer?  That would keep you occupied.

One time I went with some people to a Pretenders concert.  They are fine and I know some of the songs...I fell asleep in Madison Square Garden. After that I said no more going to concerts I don't really care about.