News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 12, 2016, 03:05:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Give a "heads up" or not?  (Read 1814 times)

bopper

Re: Give a "heads up" or not?
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 09:01:48 AM »
If for some reason they ask you what happened...you could just say "Director asked for a meeting and you didn't respond. S/he assumed you were not interested anymore."

MrTango

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 09:43:20 AM »
If for some reason they ask you what happened...you could just say "Director asked for a meeting and you didn't respond. S/he assumed you were not interested anymore."

I probably wouldn't even say this much.  If I was in the OP's position and the fellows came to me asking what had happened, I'd respond that they need to speak with Director.

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 09:57:10 AM »
Another vote for bed-made-lie.

What if you give them the heads up, they snap to attention and put in enough effort for enough time to make it look like they are back on board... and then slack off again? Seriously, the fact that they thought they could get credit after doing little or nothing speaks to their lack of initiative. At this point, it's best to just let the chips fall where they may.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Hmmmmm

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 10:28:51 AM »
I think your going to get agreement all around that you shouldn't engage with them.

The only reason I would give a heads up is if there was a strong possibility that they did not understand what they were supposed to be doing or were working under the assumption that you were "the lead" and would establish the meeting. But if you are confident that they understood that they were to take ownership of this activity and drive their own results then I'd just stop all communication with them and let the Director inform them they are off the project.

Bert

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 12:54:49 PM »
I just thought of something else.  You are assuming that the director is about to kick these two off of the project, but you don't know it for a fact.  You are probably right, and in your shoes, if I heard what she said to you, I'd think the same thing, but until she does it, you can't be 100% certain.

If you hint to these other two that this may be coming, but it ends up not being the directors decision and she has some different solution in mind, then you are going to be put in a really weird place.

mandycorn

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 05:08:56 PM »
Why do you think you need to give them a heads up? I think understanding your motivation for that impulse will probably be important in figuring out how to proceed. If it's a case where there could be serious consequences for you if you don't maintain decent working relationship with them going forward, that's probably something you could discuss with your director before she acts on anything. But at this point, I'd want to stay more on your director's good side than these two coworkers who haven't been pulling their own weight.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

cicero

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 05:43:03 PM »
I vote heck no.  Your loyalty should lie with your employer (unless there was something shady going on,  which isn't the case)

If you warn them,  99% sure they will throw you under the bus and your boss will know that they can't trust you.  It's not going to save their job anyway because your boss obviously knows exactly what is going on. I understand why you want to,  but it's a terrible idea

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

DollyPond

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 07:00:59 PM »
Thank you to all who responded!

I will definitely keep silent on this one....and good idea about backing up the data in case of untoward manipulation.  I will make backup copies and keep them on my computer just in case.

The meeting is scheduled for next Friday.  Will update if anything interesting happens.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 08:36:36 PM »
They've had more than enough warning that they aren't contributing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 08:43:25 PM »
I agree, don't worry about talking to them until you've attended the meeting with the director.  You've given them many opportunities to be involved already, and you don't know for sure what the director's plan is -- so your butt is completely covered.

mich3554

« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:47:56 AM »
You've been given good advice.

It sounds like you are in the same position I have been in many times.  My PI was really good about knowing who did what and the clinical fellows are using you to try to get their name on an abstract and publication.

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon.  Fortunately, you have a boss that doesn't accept this as the norm.  Some do.