News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 09:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "crazy angry" co worker  (Read 1240 times)

Cali.in.UK

Re: The "crazy angry" co worker
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 02:39:01 PM »
Its definitely not okay with people to bring home problems to work, and then hinder their actual work because of outside problems. When you bring this up to your supervisor (who should be the one to speak with her) you should keep it focused on work. You are uncomfortable asking work related questions because she says she is too angry to discuss work with you. Thats not okay.

I had a coworker, who is luckily not at the company anymore, who would raise her voice when people asked her questions. It was very uncomfortable. She would take questions as a challenge, and as a very non-confrontational person, it was very unsettling to ask someone a question and have them raise their voice at you in front of others in a defensive way.

I think you should write an email about this to your supervisor for documentation purposes and reference your previous conversations about these encounters.

blarg314

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 07:16:58 PM »

As a manager, with this as a semi-regular occurrence, I would pull in the employee on a day when they *weren't* angry, and make it clear that interacting civilly with coworkers was a non-negotiable part of the job. If there were counselling services available through work, I would pass that information on. If they pushed back, or refused to change I would push it further, and make it very clear that their job depended on this - they don't have to be cheery sunshine, but they do have to be civil, and if if they can't control their temper at the office, they will be fired.

As a coworker, it would depend somewhat on how much support I could expect from my manager. If there is no support, and this person's bad behaviour is accepted, I'd do my best to ignore it, and depending on how bad it is, possibly consider looking for a new job.  If there is support, a deliberate pause while I looked at them, followed by an "Okay then." and walking away when they snapped at me. Or, as appropriate, an "I'll come back and discuss this with you later when you are calmer." Depending on they way she treats me, "Please do not speak to me like that" might work.  And I'd be honest if my own work is delayed - "Sally's in a bad mood today, so I couldn't get the report from her - I should be able to do it tomorrow."

If it's regular, or interferes with my own work, then I'd go and speak with my own manager - "About once every two weeks, Sally comes in to work very angry, and refuses to communicate / is generally rude and unhelpful, which makes it hard for me to do (important job function). How should I handle this?"

I do think this sort of thing is very important to deal with from a manager perspective, particularly in a small office, as it can really poison the atmosphere. If the management doesn't care, or is afraid to stand up to a nasty or bullying coworker, the other employees will notice, and know that the manager is not willing to manage effectively. If it's bad enough, the best employees will actually leave if they have the chance.

camlan

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:08:39 AM »
If this person's supervisor isn't handling the problem, one thing you can do is make it more of a problem for the supervisor. Every time your co-worker won't work with you--won't answer questions, won't share information--contact your supervisor and tell them that.

"I need the TPS report by 10 am today. Sally snapped at me when I asked her about it at 9:30 this morning. Just FYI, but I can't finish the XYZ project without it, and it's due at 5 today."

You want to make it more difficult for your supervisor to ignore the problem. So that it becomes more worth her time to fix the problem than to ignore it. And if everyone did this, your supervisor would see the true extent of the problem and how it is affecting the department.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

spookycatlady

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:15:49 AM »
What OP can do for supervisor, but it's taking on more responsibility than the OP is required:

Optional: Tell supervisor that when Co-Worker isn't 'crazy angry' that management was concerned about her on those days and recommend that she speak to someone about coping strategies, look for support, etc. because it's having an impact on the operation on those days. Have a list of online resources for stress management or anger management to provide to OP, if no employee assistance program exists.

As for how OP can deal directly with the co-worker. Don't take the martyr bait, don't get emotional in response, be clear, direct, focus on work and document negative interactions and pass on to the supervisor when it impacts you.