News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 01, 2015, 11:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When person conducting job interview “overshares”  (Read 627 times)

ezbliss

When person conducting job interview “overshares”
« on: Yesterday at 03:40:55 PM »
This might be kind of a s/o of the “I told you so/Landlord” thread but I decided to make it a separate thread.

Many years ago I was called to interview for an entry-level office job at a small company.  When I was led into the supervisor’s office, as I sat down I couldn’t help but notice she was dabbing her eye,s apparently because she’d been crying.  She said “Sorry, but I just got a call from my daughter.  She met the man of her dreams and they’re getting married.”

I think I said “That’s really nice” or something like that.  I was very young (early 20s).

She went on to tell me about her daughter, showed me her picture, etc.  Eventually we got to talking about the job.  (I had several interviews lined up, and accepted another job.)

Much later (when I was in my late 30s,) I interviewed for a position at a government agency.  The boss (exec director of the program) conducted a decent job-related interview, but he told me quite a few negative things about two of the staff members.  Kind of in a “watch out for these people, they’re trouble” kind of way.  I later was offered and accepted that job – it was a step up and the duties were interesting and challenging.

However, I kept my guard up, and it’s a good thing.  Boss turned out to be quite an instigator.  My job required me to travel and be out of the office a lot, so I was able to work around most of it.

Have you ever had an interview where the person conducting the interview “overshared” or made off-the-wall comments which caused you to think “ ??? What the …?”  How did you handle it?

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:49:25 PM by ezbliss »

doodlemor

Re: When person conducting job interview “overshares”
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:02:37 PM »
I haven't had a job interview like this, but have had relative strangers tell me very private things.  I consider this to be a red flag, as far as potential friendships are concerned. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:51:24 PM »
It wasn't exactly TMI but it was very revealing about the employer herself. She took a red pen to the letter of recommendation I offered her (thankfully a copy of the original) and edited it like an English teacher might. Grammar had absolutely nothing to do with the job (and no, the letter didn't need it, she was that picky). A few people warned me away from working for her but I was able to handle it. I don't mind high-maintenance people as long as they're clear about the expectations and give me credit when I've earned it. She was good about both.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:49:51 PM »
No, but I worked for a company where there was way too much TMI among the employees.  Never again.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:38:15 PM »
I was interviewing for a job at a rural courthouse. The interviewer started telling me how vulnerable the courthouse (and its employees) would be to a shooting. There have been a few incidents in the state I live in, but nothing right before the interview or anything. She went on about this for a few minutes. I had no idea how to respond and was not sad to not be offered the job.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:50:12 PM »
My very first day at a job I had a sit-down with the school owner before I started classroom observation. What started as an akwkard chit-chat quickly morphed into her talking about all the past teachers that had worked for her school that she had disliked or had problems with for various reasons and then threw in an extremely racist/offensive opinion and I felt so uncomfortable!

Mary Lennox

« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:44:46 AM »
Do people put oversharing good things on the same level as oversharing bad things? If someone is going to overshare, I'd much rather hear about an engagement than a divorce.