Author Topic: Lunch Drama  (Read 7156 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Lunch Drama
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 10:14:46 AM »
Another point I thought of - there are a certain number of seats, yes? So, if they let everything go "first come, first served," and an unexpectedly large crowd shows up, then people who had registered would show up, only to find there was no lunch OR seating available for them.

I really think that if you're taking registrations and giving confirmations, you need to make sure that people who register get what they thought they were getting. Otherwise, you may as well make it a drop-in arrangement.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mich3554

« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 05:02:47 PM »
I don't understand this woman at all. The meeting was 90 minutes. Most people go more than 90 minutes without food during the day. (Well, not me, but I have a chocolate problem.) I have some issues and the provided lunches are hardly ever anything I can eat. So I plan things knowing that. She was really outside the meeting crying about no lunch? Normal people don't do that. It seems so unprofessional. If you came for a meeting then go to the meeting. Deal with the food problem after the meeting.

It isn't the point of not eating for 90 minutes.  It's the point that many make arrangements to eat at the seminar and that would be the only chance to eat.  If lunch was not going to be served at the seminar, I would have brought my own.  BUT when I RSVP'ed to the sponsor that I was coming and asked what sandwich I wanted in my box lunch, I assumed that my lunch had been covered.

When this happened to me, I was in the middle of running an experiment and I had a 2 hour incubation.  I set things up such that I could go to the seminar and would have time to get back to my lab to do the next step.   For me, it's not a matter of going without food for 90 minutes, it's a matter of going without food for 14 hours (8 am - 10 pm), as I had class immediately after work.  I can't eat in the lab, I have to leave the facility to eat and I could not leave due to what was going on that day.

mich3554

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 05:03:40 PM »
mich3554, that was awful. And now you're left to make a very difficult decision: miss the lecture or starve. I hope you complained to whoever was offering the seminar and your own management, I would avoid these people like the plague after this...

I did.

eltf177

« Reply #63 on: Today at 07:00:58 AM »
mich3554, that was awful. And now you're left to make a very difficult decision: miss the lecture or starve. I hope you complained to whoever was offering the seminar and your own management, I would avoid these people like the plague after this...

I did.

Any sort of apology or explanation?