News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 01:45:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time off for an interview  (Read 2008 times)

DavidH

Re: Time off for an interview
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 12:24:31 PM »
The only way I'd consider telling the company you are interviewing is if you are on a contract that ends on a certain date and you haven't been renewed yet.  In that case, you know the job is ending and only the most unreasonable boss wouldn't understand look for a job.  In any other circumstance, I'd avoid telling them and either take the time off as vacation or call in sick on the day. 

learningtofly

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
Thanks everyone. I emailed in sick and took the day off. The interview went most of the day and then I needed to get my Thank You notes out. My boss won't let me make up the time, so this was the right way to go.  Now it's just a waiting game.

LTF

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
Good luck!

Frog24

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 07:21:25 PM »
It's too late, but would it be possible to move your interview?  I was recently asked to come in for an interview. 

They said: "Can you come in on Wednesday for an interview?"
I was in the middle of a really big deadline and responded: "I have a deadline on Thursday, but am available on Friday of next week." (not even the next day, but next week! How cheeky!)
They wrote back: "We'll see you on Friday."

You obviously have something that they're interested in.  They might be flexible in your interview time if you ask.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Can you say "I have a long scheduled appointment at 2:00pm.  I can come in the morning and meet the clients but have to leave by 1:00pm."

learningtofly

« Reply #20 on: Today at 11:55:51 AM »
Thanks everyone. The interview was from 8 am to 1 pm. Our out of town co worker wanted to meet at 10 am. I was drained when I left, and still needed to write thank you notes to the interviewers, 9 in total, before the end of business.