Author Topic: Update to I Said NO...this is getting ridiculous  (Read 15305 times)

CakeBeret

Update to I Said NO...this is getting ridiculous
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=41978.0

My mother and sister have both mentioned to me in the past couple weeks, that I need to ask my Maid of Honor to lose a significant amount of weight.

ON WHAT PLANET is this acceptable???

I keep saying no. No, I will not do that. No, that's ridiculous. No, no, no. No. I'm not going to insult her. NO.

I think I need to find a new family. Maybe my MOH's family will adopt me.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: Update to I Said NO...this is getting ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:52:04 AM »
"That's funny. Someone told me that I should ask you to become significantly less rude."
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
"That's funny. Someone told me that I should ask you to become significantly less rude."

OH MY GOODNESS. I love it!!!!!!!!!

Fidgets

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »

Woot!  Best response ever!!!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
I thought the point of getting married was to get a new family?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

merryns

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »
It might be wise to have a preemptive talk with your MOH so that if your relatives take it upon themselves to talk to her about her weight she will know that it is absolutely not on your behalf.

missmolly

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 10:41:46 PM »
I'm sorry to say this, Shatzie, but I don't think this is the last time the e-hellions will be hearing about your sister's impeccable sense of tact and her tireless efforts to make your wedding...memorable.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
It might be wise to have a preemptive talk with your MOH so that if your relatives take it upon themselves to talk to her about her weight she will know that it is absolutely not on your behalf.
I would agree, except that .... no matter how she words it, the MOH is going to hear "you're fat."

I wish it weren't so but it is. I don't see a way to pre-empt this one.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 10:50:22 PM »
I would agree, except that .... no matter how she words it, the MOH is going to hear "you're fat."

I have to agree.  I guess the best course of action, if you can't keep your mother and sister away from her, would be to give your MOH a heads up.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

AprilRenee

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »

I agree, however, youdon't need to tell the MOH WHAT your family is talkinga bout. Just pull her aside and say that your family is being wacky and nit picking about the members of the wedding party. Let her know that if they say ANYTHING to her, she is to ignore it and proceed as normal.

CakeBeret

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:11 PM »
I thought the point of getting married was to get a new family?

I meant it in the sense of family as the group of relatives I claim as my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, etc. It's something I joke about, perhaps tastelessly, but it's how I deal.

I'm sorry to say this, Shatzie, but I don't think this is the last time the e-hellions will be hearing about your sister's impeccable sense of tact and her tireless efforts to make your wedding...memorable.

Haha, what a lovely way of putting it! I'm sure there will be significantly more drama as the wedding gets closer. Oh, you can only imagine. ::) ;)

Thanks for the advice. MOH is pretty well-versed in my family's antics, especially Sis's special brand of tact.

I'll just warn her that Sis is looking for excuses to belittle her (again) and leave it at that.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »
I know, I know, I meant it to be ironic.  ;D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Asha

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
ON WHAT PLANET is this acceptable???
I was going to say Pluto, but it got downgraded.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.  I can't imagine how anyone could think this is an okay thing to say out loud, much less request.

hope

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »
Oh my!  Telling someone to lose weight - would that be like saying "You are not bridesmaid material right now, even though I asked you to be one, but you potentially could be."

FunkyMunky

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 01:10:10 AM »

I've been told not to have the woman who introduced Df and I as a BM because all of my others are size 10s, and she's an 18. How ridiculous. (Of course, the guru who provided this advice also hates said BM with a passion and covets the role herself)

"MOH, my sister is a troll. Please take anything she says with a sack of salt. If I have anything to tell/say to/ask you, I will do it myself."