Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Asparagus

(1/4) > >>

Saki_Fiz:
I just bought 2 lbs of fabulous looking asparagus.  The kind where the stalks are about 2/3 the width of a pencil.  1 lb will be steamed with butter and lemon juice on top.  I would love any recommendations people have for the 2nd lb.  Soup?  Casserole?  Quiche?  Sauteed?  Please let me know.

I once saw an Iron Chef episode where asparagus was the secret ingredient.   The show's chef made asparagus ice cream.  I was a little frightened, but the judges said it was good.

Shoo:
After trimming the stalks, toss them into a bag with some olive oil, jut enough to coat them.  Then lay them out on a baking sheet, sprinkle a little kosher salt all over them, and a little black pepper if you like, then roast them in a hot oven (450) for 8 to 10 minutes, until they're tender but still snappy.

Really good way to prepare asparagus!

Bob Ducca:
I second Shoo's method, but I add a little minced garlic as well.  Yum!

One of the best cold salads I ever had was a cold asparagus salad.  Steam the stalks until just tender, then shock in ice water to stop the cooking process.  Dress with fresh diced tomato and a vinegrette dressing.  I make a homemade vinegrette with lots of dill, oregano, and cilantro.  Yum!!

Mazdoy:
I love asparagus.

Here's a recipe for Pasta asparagus, one of my favourites:

Put pasta on to boil (preferably spaghetti but anything will do).

Chop the pasta into lengths of about an inch. 
Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pot.
Add chopped garlic and chopped fresh chillis (as much as you want - I like loads of both)
After about a minute add the chopped asparagus and some salt and pepper to taste.
Cook on low heat.
Add a handful of pinenuts after about 3 mins.

Drain pasta, put it back in pot and add contents of the other pot (aspargus etc).
Mix them together and add cheese (I use veggie parmesan but any kind of cheese works).

Serve and enjoy!

afreet:
Here's my recipe!

2 pounds fresh asparagus
1 orange, red, or yellow bell pepper
Pinenuts (pigoli)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Turn oven to broil and broil pepper till blackened and charred. Place in Ziploc bag and set aside for a few minutes. Then peel, seed, and chop. This gives it a delicious rich flavor. Cut into strips and set aside. Toast pinenuts lightly in skillet and set aside.
 Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a vegetable peeler, if desired. (I always do)
Melt butter in a skillet; add asparagus, and sauté 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add salt and pepper; remove from heat. Toss with lemon rind and juice. Garnish with pinenuts and pepper strips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version