Author Topic: Asparagus  (Read 2295 times)

Saki_Fiz

Asparagus
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:48:14 AM »
I just bought 2 lbs of fabulous looking asparagus.  The kind where the stalks are about 2/3 the width of a pencil.  1 lb will be steamed with butter and lemon juice on top.  I would love any recommendations people have for the 2nd lb.  Soup?  Casserole?  Quiche?  Sauteed?  Please let me know.

I once saw an Iron Chef episode where asparagus was the secret ingredient.   The show's chef made asparagus ice cream.  I was a little frightened, but the judges said it was good.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:02:46 AM »
After trimming the stalks, toss them into a bag with some olive oil, jut enough to coat them.  Then lay them out on a baking sheet, sprinkle a little kosher salt all over them, and a little black pepper if you like, then roast them in a hot oven (450) for 8 to 10 minutes, until they're tender but still snappy.

Really good way to prepare asparagus!

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
I second Shoo's method, but I add a little minced garlic as well.  Yum!

One of the best cold salads I ever had was a cold asparagus salad.  Steam the stalks until just tender, then shock in ice water to stop the cooking process.  Dress with fresh diced tomato and a vinegrette dressing.  I make a homemade vinegrette with lots of dill, oregano, and cilantro.  Yum!!

Mazdoy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
I love asparagus.

Here's a recipe for Pasta asparagus, one of my favourites:

Put pasta on to boil (preferably spaghetti but anything will do).

Chop the pasta into lengths of about an inch. 
Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a pot.
Add chopped garlic and chopped fresh chillis (as much as you want - I like loads of both)
After about a minute add the chopped asparagus and some salt and pepper to taste.
Cook on low heat.
Add a handful of pinenuts after about 3 mins.

Drain pasta, put it back in pot and add contents of the other pot (aspargus etc).
Mix them together and add cheese (I use veggie parmesan but any kind of cheese works).

Serve and enjoy!

afreet

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »
Here's my recipe!

2 pounds fresh asparagus
1 orange, red, or yellow bell pepper
Pinenuts (pigoli)
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Turn oven to broil and broil pepper till blackened and charred. Place in Ziploc bag and set aside for a few minutes. Then peel, seed, and chop. This gives it a delicious rich flavor. Cut into strips and set aside. Toast pinenuts lightly in skillet and set aside.
 Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a vegetable peeler, if desired. (I always do)
Melt butter in a skillet; add asparagus, and sauté 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add salt and pepper; remove from heat. Toss with lemon rind and juice. Garnish with pinenuts and pepper strips.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
After trimming the stalks, toss them into a bag with some olive oil, jut enough to coat them.  Then lay them out on a baking sheet, sprinkle a little kosher salt all over them, and a little black pepper if you like, then roast them in a hot oven (450) for 8 to 10 minutes, until they're tender but still snappy.

Really good way to prepare asparagus!

After you've roasted them, splash a bit of balsamic vinegar over them, roll them around and serve.

You can also toss them in olive oil like Shoo recco'd, then do them up in a skillet and toss with balsamic.

BettyP

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »
I just eat them steamed like candy. *grins* In fact, I ate a full pound and a half on a road trip during my pregnancy. It sounded good, so I tossed it into the steamer, took my shower and got ready, tossed steamer into the dishwasher, asparagus into a ziploc baggie, grabbed my bag, and left with Darling Hubby just shaking his head in disbelief.

AnnaB

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »
Alright this is a side dish, but I'm never preparing asparagus any other way once I found this recipe.

In skillet add one clove crushed garlic and 1 table spoon butter, cook on medium until better starts to brown.
Put in one table spoon capers about half way through this process
Add Asparagus that has been cut into 3/4 inch pieces and cook until bright green and serve.

It is so tastey.

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 01:21:37 AM »
Ok, we just had the oven roasted asparagus tonight and it was awesome!  SO liked it too.  In fact he told me to go ahead and pull another recipe from here instead of steaming the other batch.  But now I don't know what to pick!  They all look so good!

Thanks to everyone for sharing!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 06:36:55 AM »

It's good with freshly grated parmsesan cheese, butter or olive oil, salt, fresh ground pepper and, optionally, a squeze of lemon juice.

I also do steamed asparagus (but still a bit crunchy) in bite size pieces tossed with dry smoked salmon (not lox - the texture is like cooked salmon and it has a stronger smoky taste than the cold smoked), some chopped dill and a fettucini alfredo style sauce. With a side salad it's a complete meal.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »
I just bought 2 lbs of fabulous looking asparagus.  The kind where the stalks are about 2/3 the width of a pencil.  1 lb will be steamed with butter and lemon juice on top.  I would love any recommendations people have for the 2nd lb.  Soup?  Casserole?  Quiche?  Sauteed?  Please let me know.

I once saw an Iron Chef episode where asparagus was the secret ingredient.   The show's chef made asparagus ice cream.  I was a little frightened, but the judges said it was good.

When you steam it, add some thyme to the water - gives it just a little kick, but not overpowering.  I love asparagus, I am gonig to print this thread and take it home with me for dinner tonight!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Peaches737

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 11:41:48 PM »
OOh OOH!  I love asparagus!  funny thing--my MIL's birthday is Saturday, and I asked DH to pick up a bunch of asparagus ans a zucchini.  By mistake (god love him) he picked up white asparagus.  (poor me)

It is so crunchy, tender and delicious, I can't stand to cook it.  I usually do steamed with hollandaise.  I figgre it would be great with the fresh zucchini cold with a sauce.  Any fave soy ginger recepies, or other ideas?

PoisonIvy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 06:25:54 PM »
OOh OOH!  I love asparagus!  funny thing--my MIL's birthday is Saturday, and I asked DH to pick up a bunch of asparagus ans a zucchini.  By mistake (god love him) he picked up white asparagus.  (poor me)

It is so crunchy, tender and delicious, I can't stand to cook it.  I usually do steamed with hollandaise.  I figgre it would be great with the fresh zucchini cold with a sauce.  Any fave soy ginger recepies, or other ideas?

It's probably too late for this now as I noticed these posts are from a few months back, but mine and BF's New Favourite Asparagus Recipe is really simple - make a marinade of sesame oil, soy sauce and crushed garlic (didn't use any ginger but that would go well too), toss your asparagus in it and let it sit for a bit.  Then put them on the BBQ - it's easiest to turn them if you use one of those single fish baskets like this one.  Drizzle with a little more sesame oil and serve.  We served them at a BBQ as a vegetarian side but they were a big hit with the veggies and meat-eaters alike. 

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »
I really don't like asparagus, but I was at a New Years party last year, and they served them as appetizers. They wrapped them in a bacon strip and broiled them till the bacon was crisp. DH liked them

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
I love asparagus, and Here is one quick dinner dish that your family will love!

Fettuccine Alfredo with asparagus

have 1 pint of heavy cream at room temp, and a container of Parmesan cheese.

Boil the water for the pasta in your tallest/largest pot.
cut your asparagus into bite size pieces. put in colander and rinse well. leave in colander (you colander has to be metal)
When the water boils, add 1 -1.5 lbs of your fav pasta (I prefer fettuccine or linguine, but use  what you like)
salt the water
place the colander on top of the pot. the steam from the pasta will cook the asparagus-if it falls a little in the water that's ok. place the lid on top of the colander. if it doesn't fit perfectly thats ok too. If you don't have a lid to fit, use foil.

When the pasta is done 5-6 min, the asparagus should be too!
drain the pasta on top of the asparagus, toss pasta and asparagus back in the pot, add the heavy cream, parm, and salt/pepper to taste. toss well and serve (sauce will thicken as it cools. I generally end up using at least 8 oz of the cheese.)