Author Topic: Spinoff- Letting guests go hungry/Guests who make you a little ill  (Read 7132 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: Spinoff- Letting guests go hungry/Guests who make you a little ill
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 06:45:32 PM »
I am a very large woman and I have a binge eating problem. However, I do so in secret....most of us with eating disorders do. I cannot imagine eating like that publicly, frankly I don't think I could put that much food away on my best day! There are obviously some psychological issues going on here and it breaks my heart for those people, especially that girl. Her life will be so hard...I thank God every day I was thin in high school, I cannot imagine what the heavy kids went through.
I'd avoid food oriented outings and suggest active activities, walks in the park, museum outings, swimming....maybe the exercise will help some.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Ondine

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
  Oh my goodness.....I feel bad for the family the gorges themselves. Sounds like they replace something in their lives with food....this is unhealthy both physically and emotionally....

I don't think it's really fair to judge this family though. Some people are just VERY laid back in their eating habits. I know that if someone had told me I eat in a disgusting manner that I would be VERY self-conscious on how I ate and what I ate to the point where I would starve myself.

Perhaps inviting them over for dinner and serving normal portions would help a little in their case.....just have a lot of smaller appetizers before the meal.

This whole situation makes me very sad :(

*hugs*

Daquiri40

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »
I have a friend who is the oldest of 6 girls.  Her mother never wanted the youngest daughter to leave home.  She overfed the youngest daughter as a little girl.  The youngest daughter weighed 300 pounds at 16 and got heavier.  The youngest daughter was tied to her mother and is just now (at 30) getting therapy and trying to break free.

I feel sorry for the daughter in the OP.  I wouldn't want to eat with them either.  It sounds as if there lives are centered around eating and I wouldn't want to interfere with their entertainment.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 09:28:10 PM »

I don't think it's really fair to judge this family though. Some people are just VERY laid back in their eating habits.

Taking an entire extra large pizza, folding it over, and it eating like that is more than just "laid back" in their eating habits. I would consider it rude of ANYONE to do that in front of others.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »
Taking an entire extra large pizza, folding it over, and it eating like that is more than just "laid back" in their eating habits. I would consider it rude of ANYONE to do that in front of others.

I agree and I have a real problem imagining anyone eating an entire pizza even the normal way.

loopey2u

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:37:11 PM »
"I'm confused.  So there are different degrees of gorging?  It's okay for you (generic you, of course) to gorge the way you see fit, but their way is over the top?

Yes, I think what they did was disgusting, but I think seeing anybody gorge would be."

Depends on what you mean by gorge.

Taking a whole pizza, folding it in half and then eating it while in the company of others is just disgusting unless you live in a frat house.  Eating the slices individually but still finishing off the entire pizza is more acceptable because you're not looking like a pig doing it. 
I can only imagine how messy that was with the sauce running everywhere.  Ew.

My hubby is a very large man and could easily finish off a whole large pizza by himself but he would never fold the thing in half and eat it like a taco.  Especially in the company of other people who would be eating.  It's just disgusting.

I'm not real big, but my idea of gorging is finishing off an entire entree from a restaurant and then ordering dessert and finishing that off too. 
Not disgusting, but still a lot of food.  And I don't fold it in half and devour it.

To jais.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 10:40:59 PM »
"I'm confused.  So there are different degrees of gorging?  It's okay for you (generic you, of course) to gorge the way you see fit, but their way is over the top?

Yes, I think what they did was disgusting, but I think seeing anybody gorge would be."

Depends on what you mean by gorge.

Taking a whole pizza, folding it in half and then eating it while in the company of others is just disgusting unless you live in a frat house.  Eating the slices individually but still finishing off the entire pizza is more acceptable because you're not looking like a pig doing it. 
I can only imagine how messy that was with the sauce running everywhere.  Ew.

My hubby is a very large man and could easily finish off a whole large pizza by himself but he would never fold the thing in half and eat it like a taco.  Especially in the company of other people who would be eating.  It's just disgusting.

I'm not real big, but my idea of gorging is finishing off an entire entree from a restaurant and then ordering dessert and finishing that off too. 
Not disgusting, but still a lot of food.  And I don't fold it in half and devour it.

To jais.

I didn't look at it that way.  Thank you.  :)

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 12:53:49 AM »
Hollasa,

The last time I saw them was about 2 yrs ago actually. Husband was in a wheelchair and had to top 600 lbs. Wife was still in the 200's. Daughter is now 31, over 500 lbs herself and has severe breathing problems due to the weight. She walks with a cane. My impression always was that Husband ate because of his own issues, Daughter ate because Dad did, and Wife just tried to have a happy home.

When I first had these folks over I tried serving "normal portions" (say a lg hamburger each with fries and a salad). Tee found out after the second time I did this that Wife had to go home and cook complete meals because the other two were so hungry. Rather than mess up Tee's friendship with Husband (which had lasted for years), I chose not to try and change them, but to invite them over less often and serve the amounts of food they felt they needed. This is where I first started "getting sick" or "having an emergency" that required me to leave the table rather than sit and watch on most occassions.

"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
That makes me so sad for that family. That poor girl won't live to see forty if she doesn't do something soon...clearly she and her father suffer from an eating disorder.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

djinnidjream

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
I have been in a similar situation, and found it best to avert my eyes.  Not to hijack the post, but here is my story.  Mind you, this is all the same family.

1.  We went out to dinner with a couple my DH is friends with.  It was an all you can eat buffet that specializes in very delicious prime rib.  (Its a small restaurant in a small town- not a big name place).  I had been on Weight Watchers for a little while.  My DH loves beef and has a fairly large appetite- but not as bad as this couple.  The husband packed away 5 large pieces of prime rib- HUGE pieces as well as a bunch of other stuff, and no veggies at all.  The wife at least had a salad before packing away about 3/4 of what her DH had.  It was gross.  I just kind of concentrated on my plate and tried not to look.  On a side note- the husband died about 2 years later after having 3 heart attacks in one day.  Anyone want to wonder why?

2.  The wife (now widowed), her friend, DH and I went out to dinner.  She didn't eat an extraordinary amount- but the forkfuls she shoveled in... eww.  My mom taught me to take smaller bites, esp in public, and she practically had to unhinge her jaw to get the food in. 

3.  Birthday party for the friends son- same thing.  Obnoxiously huge forkfulls of food in his mouth.

There really isn't a lot you can do except avert your eyes and pray for it to end. 
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

april

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »
Oh my....that is heartbreaking.  :(

I couldn't watch that either.  And I CAN eat a large (thin crust) pizza on my own....but it's somewhat of a out-of-the-ordinary indulgence for me, and I go one piece at a time.  Most people can never believe I could eat that much (I'm small/medium sized) and in a group situation, I would never eat more than three pieces or so.

I feel so bad for the whole family.......and I don't blame you for not wanting to be around them.

retreadbride

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:23 PM »
I used to wait tables at Pizza Hut. People came in all the time and ordered medium and large pizzas for themselves.

I can't eat more than two pieces.

Here - ya'll can all bash me now.  I come from a hippie family that drinks their soda out of the can and we eat pizza with our fingers. I think these people who go to Pizza Hut and eat their pizza with a knife and fork look absolutely ridiculous.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »
I once went to a social gathering my apt. complex held for their residents. Thought I'd be friendly and sit down and introduce myself to a neighbor. The guy was already very huge, and soon I could see why. He ate plate after plate of the food that was provided for everybody. As soon as his plate was empty, he'd go and fill it up to the top again and then repeat. I think he filled and emptied his plate four times in our short visit. Of course there was hardly any food left for anyone else as a result of this piggie. And then he would shovel the food into his mouth and proceed to talk to me with his mouth full. Some of the food would fall out of his mouth as he would talk to me. My appetite was ruined. I spent the whole visit staring down at my plate while I answered so I wouldn't have to look at him.

Buffy2424

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »
I used to wait tables at Pizza Hut. People came in all the time and ordered medium and large pizzas for themselves.

How much of it did they eat there, though?   

Here - ya'll can all bash me now.  I come from a hippie family that drinks their soda out of the can and we eat pizza with our fingers. I think these people who go to Pizza Hut and eat their pizza with a knife and fork look absolutely ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with that!  Don't most Americans eat pizza with their hands?  (Maybe we need a poll.)  I do most of the time.  Though when I lived abroad I once had a (rude) roommate who would argue that it was just me, and not "most Americans" who picked up pizza.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »

How much of it did they eat there, though?   

Nothing wrong with that!  Don't most Americans eat pizza with their hands?  (Maybe we need a poll.)  I do most of the time.  Though when I lived abroad I once had a (rude) roommate who would argue that it was just me, and not "most Americans" who picked up pizza.

I usually eat the point with a fork.  Then I eat the rest by picking it up.