Author Topic: Spinoff- Letting guests go hungry/Guests who make you a little ill  (Read 7216 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Spinoff- Letting guests go hungry/Guests who make you a little ill
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »
But, the point is the easiest thing to bite...

I don't eat pizza that often anymore, but when I do I follow the When In Rome policy.

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 11:30:08 AM »
>I usually eat the point with a fork.  Then I eat the rest by picking it up. <

Me too! Me too!......The hubby thinks I'm crazy.   

But it's never too late to correct the faults so many others made ~Midtown

Buffy2424

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »
I like to eat pie-shaped in my hands, but I cut even non-generous slices in half, lengthwise.  That way it's easier to eat, and there's "two slices."

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »
I am one of the ones who prefer to use a knife and fork.  My front teeth are sensitive to heat and it hurts to bite pizza.

One time my friends and I were out to Pizza Hut and their son wanted someone to cut his pizza for him, his Mom started in on him that no one eats pizza with a knife and fork.

Hellooo.... I had a knife and fork in my hands, and I cut his food for him. (I think that his teeth were sensitive too)

Oh and a Personal Pan is more than enough for me.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 05:29:18 PM »
I occaissionally use a knife & fork, if it's a very large slice, if th etoppings are coming off.

Most Americans use their hands, I would say.

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »
Count me as one who usually eats the point with a fork and then picks up the rest.  With the point on the pieces are usually too floppy and stuff falls off.  I know, I'm weird!

Marathoner

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
I use a fork and knife, but then again I only eat Chicago-style pizza and I have never seen anyone (even those with bad table manners) try to eat it with their hands  :)

twinkletoes

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
I use a fork and knife, but then again I only eat Chicago-style pizza and I have never seen anyone (even those with bad table manners) try to eat it with their hands  :)

Same here!  It's just too much pizza.  Not that that's a bad thing, of course.  ;)

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2007, 07:08:12 PM »
It is not rude for you to avoid meals with people who gross you out.  I do not enjoy watching people eat, even if it is in regular or small amounts.  And here's why.

I am often taken to task by family that I should eat less.  Okay, I put on some weight in my middle age.  I was nagged even when I was young and slender.  My family is normal to heavy, and they all take big portions.  But they nag me that I eat too much.  But I take smaller portions.  Don't they understand that?  Food is an emotional (usually festive or social) matter in most cultures.  Why make it stressful?

My plus-size friends are fond of eating high-cal snacks after a very large meal, similar to the one mentioned by the OP.  Further, they cajole me to "eat, have some more, oh come on you aren't having enough."

Thus, I feel ill just thinking about food and eating situations. 

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 07:15:10 PM »
Oh, and about the proper to eat pizza:  A civilized person always eats with a fork or knife, unless it is crisp bacon, crudites, or bread.  This is practiced in most restaurants in Europe. 

However, pizza is a peasant dish, and originally it was a bread dish with some miscellaneous toppings. It being a bread, it is okay to eat with your hands.  Because of the hot cheese, it makes sense to fold it over.  Chicago style is more of a quiche type or stratta, so using a fork or knife is acceptable.  But it's just uncouth to take a whole pizza and eat it uncut.

referee

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2007, 10:59:35 PM »
I used to have a co-worker that told me about how her eating habits changed for life after being in a car accident in which her jaw was broken and subsequently wired shut.  She said watching people eat while she was unable to have anything except through a straw was very enlightening and sickening at times.  It seems a lot of us eat too enthusiastically.  I've tried to remember this (at least in public).

BittyB

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 01:15:54 AM »
The story made me more sad than disgusted.  Actually, very sad.  I work in Type II Diabetes research, and you can count that in the list of possible health complications later in life from that kind of diet!  But... you can't really force people to change, especially if they are doing something from a deep-seated emotional or psychological need.  It seems like a lot of overweight people try and fail at diets and exercise and either give up or one day realize that they are finally *ready* to take off the weight, for some reason that solidified in a moment of clarity, and it finally starts happening for them. 

So I can understand the people who wouldn't want to eat with them from disgust.  I wouldn't want to eat with them either - it's emotionally wearing to watch someone slowly kill themselves, whether it's because you  know something about the molecular biology or simply because we all pretty much know that overeating is very bad for us! 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
Count me in as someone who can eat a whole pizza. And start planning for a midnight snack before dinner is over.  ;D If I complained about the portions people serve, I'd never get invited anywhere!

I'd say just serve someone like this a normal portion, or add extra potatoes or something. They already know you do not eat as much as they do. When you accept an invitation to dinner, you take whatever the host offers. Period.

If they have to eat when they get home because they are still hungry, so be it. If they do not wish to eat at your house because you don't serve enough, that is their own choice. Unless there is some medical reason, they shouldn't complain (if they have diabetes or digestive problems, etc. it is different).
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 06:31:53 PM »
I'm a "Big Girl" but even I can't eat more than 3 slices of Pizza at once without being ill..... and the 3rd slice is pushing it.

I confess I LOVE  food, just not all at once.

I am the same way. I like to "graze". I eat like a plate of food and then maybe later get like some more potatoes or whatever. Then I might have dessert. This is why I like holidays. I can pick through all the food that is offered thoughout the day and not feel sick.

My Dh, otoh, will starve himself all day and then eat like three heaping full plates of food. Then he whines that he is over-full. Tough luck baby. You would think he would learn. I mean, what is he, 2???

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 07:33:55 PM »
I have trouble eating more than one slice of pizza these days.

But folding and eating an entire pie at once is gross beyond belief.