Author Topic: I'm not taking 2 days of vacation time for YOU to take a vacation!  (Read 10686 times)

LJM

Re: I'm not taking 2 days of vacation time for YOU to take a vacation!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 01:15:47 PM »
Sounds like it would be cheaper for you to just pay for them to hire a babysitter. Would a paid babysitter really cost more than airfare, etc.? Having someone fly down seems an odd way of saving money.

Because it's not a way of saving money.  It's about the children's happiness and safety and the parents' peace of mind.

I will be having family fly in later this year so I can take my first ever vacation with my husband without children.  Why?  Because the children will be happier having their grandmother with them, and their grandmother will get some special bonding time with them. 

My cousin had her parents come from far, far away to care for her children last week.  Again, it's not about saving money.  It's because the children are better off with familiar relatives, and my aunt and uncle were happy to have quality time with their grandchildren.

The OP's case does not mean we should tar all parents who ask far-off family to come be with our children.   

In the OP's case, I agree with her that her relative should be aware he's asking for an expensive favor.  He certainly should offer to pay the airfare and be more sensitive.   

I was not "tarring all parents who ask far-off family to come be with their children". I specifically quoted the post where the OP said that in this instance it was, in fact, about the money, and that's what I was responding to. I was referring to a specific situation, and did not intend for my post to be interpreted more generally than that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:20:29 PM by LJM »

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
I was responding to your saying that it seems like an odd way of money by pointing out that it's NOT about saving money most likely.  It's about the children's happiness and the parents' peace of mind, not about money.  As a parent who is asking a relative to do that exact same thing... fly to my city to stay with my children... I am not motivated by saving money.  I'm motivated by trying to see that my children are happy & well-cared for and also that they'll get some special time with a grandparent without the parents about.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

LJM

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:35:21 AM »
I was responding to your saying that it seems like an odd way of money by pointing out that it's NOT about saving money most likely.  It's about the children's happiness and the parents' peace of mind, not about money.  As a parent who is asking a relative to do that exact same thing... fly to my city to stay with my children... I am not motivated by saving money.  I'm motivated by trying to see that my children are happy & well-cared for and also that they'll get some special time with a grandparent without the parents about.
Someone (not me) asked why they didn't just hire a babysitter.
OP responded that "babysitters cost money".
I quoted her "babysitters cost money" post and said that having someone fly out seemed an odd way of saving money.

Since I was specifically quoting her claiming that it was, in this instance about money, I'm really not understanding where you're coming from.

Obviously there are plenty of reasons other than money why one might like their relatives to look after their kids. That was never under debate. I feel like you're creating an argument where there wasn't one.

ScottandCaitlin777

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »
Why are all the parents/family flying in to watch the kids?  When I was younger it worked the other way around.  When my mom needed a vacation she flew or dropped US off at THEIR house for a while to visit.

LJM

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 06:05:13 AM »
Why are all the parents/family flying in to watch the kids?  When I was younger it worked the other way around.  When my mom needed a vacation she flew or dropped US off at THEIR house for a while to visit.
This is how it worked for us, too.

Akka

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
This is how it worked for us, too.

pod!

That's what happened in my family also!