Author Topic: Calling my 2nd job to ask if I'll cover a shift at 1st job!  (Read 3846 times)

Couch2B

Calling my 2nd job to ask if I'll cover a shift at 1st job!
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »
BG: I work two jobs, both of which are in bookstores (yes, I love books  ;D)

The phone rings at SecondJob:
Me: SecondJob Books, this is Couch2B, how can I help you?
DF: Hey, its me. Heads up; someone from FirstJob just called looking for you to cover a shift. I told her you were at SecondJob so she might call
Me: What? You gave her the stotre #?
DF: No I just told her to look in the phone book* -- hey I gotta go bye
Me: Okay see ya.

Maybe 5 minutes later the phone rings:
Me: SecondJob Books, this is Couch2B, how can I help you?
Girl: Hey Couch2B this is Girl from FirstJob! I know this is weird but I called the number that's on the call list and your *pause* boyfriend told me you were here soooo... I'm not feeling well, I'm really sick, and I was hoping you'd take my 4 to 9 shift. I've called everyone else and it's just you and Boy...
Me: Oh, I'm sorry. I already have plans.
Girl: Oh... I guess I'll just have to call it in
Me: Yeah, sorry. Hope you feel better
(etc. etc. hang up)

First of all, I see I was really far down on her list of people to call, but it's about 2pm and her shift starts at 4pm. We are supposed to call in at least two hours before our shifts start if we are sick.
Secondly, who does this?! At least DF didn't give her my cell (note to self; remind DF never to give out my cell to work people) but GEEZ.

And, I didn't tell her, but my "plans" are actually I already took someone else's shift at FirstJob! They called me several days ago. I get called quite a bit because I'm known for always wanting $$ and usually covering shifts -- especially if you give me at least 24 hours notice!

I rarely ever take shifts when called two hours (or less!) before they start.

Kaylee

• Super Hero!
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
Re: Calling my 2nd job to ask if I'll cover a shift at 1st job!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »
What's the issue?  Are you upset with your co-worker for telling the girl looking for a cover where to find you, or for the girl for calling you late?

It doesn't sound like the co-worker looking to cover the shift did anything wrong--she tried everyone else and eventually got down to your name, and then accepted your refusal without an argument.  And policy aside, you can't always plan when you get sick.  It sounds like she was doing everything she could down to the wire to try and get a replacement.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
I think she was just letting us know how much E-Hell has helped her in saying no.

Kaylee

• Super Hero!
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
Oh.  Well, if that's the case, well done!   ;D  Though I'm not sure why she needed help to say no if she was already working a shift anyway.   ???

It was the "who does this" stuff in the middle that made it sound to me like she had a problem with it.  (BTW, typo in first post, should say 'DF' instead of co-worker.)

Couch2B

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
Oh.  Well, if that's the case, well done!   ;D  Though I'm not sure why she needed help to say no if she was already working a shift anyway.   ???

It was the "who does this" stuff in the middle that made it sound to me like she had a problem with it.  (BTW, typo in first post, should say 'DF' instead of co-worker.)

Well, I didn't want to drag up drama, but this particular coworker is notorious for rolling (ie; no call, no show) shifts, trying to get undesireable shifts covered, etc.

If she was genuinely sick I wouldn't expect her to do more than call those people who are home, leave messages with those that aren't, and then call and tell the shift manager "I called everyone and left messages. I'll let you know if anyone accepts, but it looks like I won't be coming in to work"

She did sound sick, but what kept her from calling starting at 11am or even 12pm? I am able to take care of this whenever I am sick. I start as early as I can and get it done quick so I can let management know ASAP. It should never have taken her 2 hours to call everyone, so I know for a fact she didn't call starting earlier. Even if I was a second-tier call she should have gotten to me earlier.

So my issues were the time of the call and the fact I was already working at SecondJob... although I didn't tell her what time I was working afterward at FirstJob!  ;) I'm only covering for someone for an hour so they can run an important errand. Technically, I could have taken at least part of her shift... I just didn't want to! DF and I have dinner plans  ;D

eHell has helped me say "No" to countless and countless "will you work for me?" requests. FirstJob management often yells at us for not covering shifts/calling in sick (because people abuse this. they will roll a shift or call in for things like football games) and I used to feel very pressured to always take a shift if I was able -- even if I could only offer to work part of it. I'd feel very, very guilty for not taking a shift -- even people who never even answer their phone/return my call when I'm sick.

Also, I was a little miffed she called SecondJob and didn't just leave a message with DF! I need to talk to him about the protocol for "Will you take my shift?" calls...

But I don't think she was being very rude, just less-than-ideal.

Oh, and to clarify, the girl called my home phone number (I live with DF) so it isn't a typo just poorly explained~

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »

Oh, and to clarify, the girl called my home phone number (I live with DF) so it isn't a typo just poorly explained~

I think Kaylee meant she had made a mistake in her own post (referring to your fiance as coworker).

About this "rolling" shift stuff - no call, no show? Why is management tolerating this? If it happens one time, I could put it down to an honest mistake. A second time? Grounds for immediate dismissal. In fact, after a spate of such incidents with a couple of staffers, I wrote and posted a memo indicating that a no show, no call would be taken as a resignation. If your employers are tolerating that kind of monkey business, they're going to find it happening more and more often.

Couch2B

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
About this "rolling" shift stuff - no call, no show? Why is management tolerating this? If it happens one time, I could put it down to an honest mistake. A second time? Grounds for immediate dismissal. In fact, after a spate of such incidents with a couple of staffers, I wrote and posted a memo indicating that a no show, no call would be taken as a resignation. If your employers are tolerating that kind of monkey business, they're going to find it happening more and more often.

It's annoyingly impossible to get fired from my FirstJob sometimes. Management is very incompetent and flaky in this regard. There are many, many problems with FirstJob... argh!
We had one front-counter manager roll upwards of 6-7 shifts before Asst Store Manager finally fired her.

The problem is that when these people "roll" shifts its under the front-counter (GSM) manager's authority. GSMs can fire people, but everyone assumes they can't and therefore they don't do it. They might issue a negative write-up but that's it -- the Asst Store Manager won't really do anything about it. He's weak-willed and has been known to fire people and then re-fire them after begging/crying occurs.

I just recently became a GSM and I have no qualms about firing people who roll shifts, especially people who are known for doing it.  >:D