General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Relatives: Chopsticks Are Rude???????????

<< < (2/20) > >>

MDefarge:

--- Quote from: 42_42_42 on September 21, 2008, 10:05:45 PM ---hI live in a small-medium sized town and we have 3 Hibachi restaurants and about 6 Chinese restaurants plus a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant, so I know larger towns must have even more. Given the wide availability of cuisine designed to be eaten with chopsticks, jow does someone become an adult without learning how to use chopsticks? Wow she must be incredibly sheltered!  Why didn't Heather just ask someone to show her how to use the chopsticks? What a loon!

On a side note, my DH's BIL and neice carry chopstickes with them everywhere (they unscrew in half and the 4 pieces store in a little leather pouch that fits nicely in the pocket) and they eat everything with them!

--- End quote ---

Nice - ever think she could be someone who just *can't* master chopsticks no matter how hard they try?  Believe me we do exist and thanks eversomuch for being so kind with your assumptions.

Not to say that Heather wasn't outrageously rude, but it's equally rude to assume someone is somehow lacking because they don't use chopsticks.

42_42_42:
I apologize. I've never met anyone before who didn't know how to use them. Everyone I know learned how to use them the first time they went to somewhere that had them when they were kids. Just kind of part of the experience of going to eat the food.

I still don't understand Heather's reaction in the OP.

Bethczar:

--- Quote from: 42_42_42 on September 21, 2008, 10:55:56 PM ---I apologize. I've never met anyone before who didn't know how to use them. Everyone I know learned how to use them the first time they went to somewhere that had them when they were kids. Just kind of part of the experience of going to eat the food.

I still don't understand Heather's reaction in the OP.

--- End quote ---

I think it's safe to say nobody understands Heather's reaction.  :P

Venus193:
Heather is an insecure twit who probably fears she lacks sophistication because of an inability to eat with chopsticks and didn't want to be shown up.  A more sensible person would have just asked someone else to demonstrate how to use chopsticks; it's not difficult for sushi.

She was insanely rude and her response to the author was incredibly stupid.  I dearly hope she never goes to Japan with an attitude like that.

Twik:
I thought I knew how to eat with chopsticks - until the nice waiter in the Chinese restaurant quietly approached my table and laid something down on it. "Spoon," he said, and discreetly vanished.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version