Author Topic: Relatives: Chopsticks Are Rude???????????  (Read 35499 times)

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
Re: Relatives: Chopsticks Are Rude???????????
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »
Camicar, are you in a city known for a large ... tabernacle? With an, um, choir?

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »
I'm usually fine with chopsticks.  That being said, in the last year I've been to Japan twice (one week and then two months), China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.  I'm fine with chopsticks--except when people stare at me.  And everyone always seems to watch intently to see if I can use them, which makes me nervous, and I look like an idiot when I keep dropping my food.  Esp. in countries like China or Taiwan where most everything is served communially and you have to reach with the chopsticks...

My mom was in Japan visiting me for a week--and does not know how to use chopsticks (and refuses to learn).  It really wasn't a problem--of course, she never ate Japanese food :)
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »
I'm usually fine with chopsticks.  That being said, in the last year I've been to Japan twice (one week and then two months), China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.  I'm fine with chopsticks--except when people stare at me.  ...

Maybe you could explain how to cut with chopsticks.  For example, I ate in the TSMC cafeteria, in Taiwan, and the main entree was breaded chicken patties in an oblong shape about the same size as "salisbury steak" in the High School cafeteria.  No could explain to me how they got it to bite-sized pieces.  They "just did it".  They thought I was a real hoot when my chicken flew onto the floor and I made an unhappy noise.  It was really good chicken. 

LadyPekoe

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm usually fine with chopsticks.  That being said, in the last year I've been to Japan twice (one week and then two months), China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong.  I'm fine with chopsticks--except when people stare at me.  ...

Maybe you could explain how to cut with chopsticks.  For example, I ate in the TSMC cafeteria, in Taiwan, and the main entree was breaded chicken patties in an oblong shape about the same size as "salisbury steak" in the High School cafeteria.  No could explain to me how they got it to bite-sized pieces.  They "just did it".  They thought I was a real hoot when my chicken flew onto the floor and I made an unhappy noise.  It was really good chicken. 

No, I avoided cooking difficult things because I had this fear of flinging it across the table, so I'm not the one to ask.  What really impressed me was when people could cut soft tofu and get it onto their plate without it dissolving into a huge mess...I never mastered that.

LoveZombie

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »
I learned how to use chopsticks at a fairly young age-- my mom and I would go to Mitsuwa (a japanese marketplace) every other month or so, and it had a great food court with some really delicious ramen and udon. They gave you chopsticks and little plastic spoons to eat your noodles with. I loved udon and taught myself my own little way of using chopsticks.
I personally prefer using chopsticks, but I understand the difficulties of learning to use them.

Along the branch of funny chopstick moments;; my friends and I were doing some back-to-school shopping and got hungry, so we ducked into an Asian place and ordered there. My friend's order of teriyaki came with a bowl of miso soup. My friend picked up her chopsticks, looked at her soup, looked back up at me, and in a panicky voice asked, "How do I eat my soup??" Apparently, she thought she had to use the chopsticks to eat her soup. I about died.

Asharah

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »
Along the branch of funny chopstick moments;; my friends and I were doing some back-to-school shopping and got hungry, so we ducked into an Asian place and ordered there. My friend's order of teriyaki came with a bowl of miso soup. My friend picked up her chopsticks, looked at her soup, looked back up at me, and in a panicky voice asked, "How do I eat my soup??" Apparently, she thought she had to use the chopsticks to eat her soup. I about died.
Wasn't there a spoon? The Japanese restaurants I went to have a plastic scoop/spoon in the bowl of soup.
Asharah

LadyPekoe

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 08:14:17 PM »
I learned how to use chopsticks at a fairly young age-- my mom and I would go to Mitsuwa (a japanese marketplace) every other month or so, and it had a great food court with some really delicious ramen and udon. They gave you chopsticks and little plastic spoons to eat your noodles with. I loved udon and taught myself my own little way of using chopsticks.
I personally prefer using chopsticks, but I understand the difficulties of learning to use them.

I'm not authority on Japanese food but...

You do eat soup with chopsticks.  Kinda.  You pick out the big pieces or noodles (in miso soup, you can eat the seaweed or tofu with chopsticks), and then you lift the bowl up and drink the broth.  Yum!  No spoon.  I was never once once given a spoon in Japan although I have been given spoons in US/Japanese restaurants (because people don't like drinking out of the bowl).

LoveZombie

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »
Wasn't there a spoon? The Japanese restaurants I went to have a plastic scoop/spoon in the bowl of soup.
I'm not sure how to explain this, but I'll try. It was more of Asian fast food, as opposed to a nice sit-down-and-be-served restaraunt (wow, that was a terrible description). So we ordered, and then they would make it and call out our number, and we would run to get it. I was in charge of getting the food, and brought it over. The spoons were in little packages with napkins, and she didn't realize her spoon was in there, thought it was just a napkin.
Hopefully that made sense  :-\

I'm not authority on Japanese food but...

You do eat soup with chopsticks.  Kinda.  You pick out the big pieces or noodles (in miso soup, you can eat the seaweed or tofu with chopsticks), and then you lift the bowl up and drink the broth.  Yum!  No spoon.  I was never once once given a spoon in Japan although I have been given spoons in US/Japanese restaurants (because people don't like drinking out of the bowl).
I think she assumed you were also supposed to magically eat the broth with chopsticks, though. Which would explain her panic. :)

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »
Had to drag this one up from the depths. Was searching for Chopstick Etiquette. I have always been told I use chopsticks like I crochet. Or do I crochet like I use chopsticks? Who knows. But I do know that the one SIL is Nuts! I mean does her idea of rood mean that some one who is eating their soup can't use a spoon because some one else is using a fork on their mashed potatoes?
Oh. here.
easy to use chopsticks
Travel Chopsticks

HonorH

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 01:24:41 AM »

Old question, but if anyone's still interested--basically, you stab the meat with your chopsticks and then force them apart, or you stab one into the middle and then force the other in from the edge. Works really well on softer things, but it's very difficult with chicken or steak. Which is why I always cut chicken up into reasonable pieces when I put it into my bento box. That said, sometimes you can force the meat apart along the grain. It's something every Japanese schoolkid could do and I had to learn through trial and error.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Erich L-ster

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 01:43:40 AM »
this is bizarre. the only way it would be rude is if a fork wasn't provided for those who can't use chopsticks.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
How absolutely weird. "Heather" must have some serious insecurities.

My little sister cannot use chopsticks. She's 20 and has been exposed to them her whole life. She really wants to, each time she gives it the old college try, and each time she ends up with a fork. She just. can't. do. it. Does she turn into a petulant brat? No. She says "oh well" and enjoys her meal with a fork.
Utah

HonorH

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
How absolutely weird. "Heather" must have some serious insecurities.

My little sister cannot use chopsticks. She's 20 and has been exposed to them her whole life. She really wants to, each time she gives it the old college try, and each time she ends up with a fork. She just. can't. do. it. Does she turn into a petulant brat? No. She says "oh well" and enjoys her meal with a fork.

That used to be me. Then I moved to Japan. It's amazing how quickly a bunch of giggling middle-schoolers can re-train you.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
Wow! This one is so  old I don't remember the response I posted before! I love Chopsticks! My DH is horrible. He always tries and he does the cheating thing where he stabs the piece in the middle and uses the other one to hold the side. Pretty slick if you are not looking to close. He bought me these http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/d659/ for my bday. I love them. So cute!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
Wow! This one is so  old I don't remember the response I posted before! I love Chopsticks! My DH is horrible. He always tries and he does the cheating thing where he stabs the piece in the middle and uses the other one to hold the side. Pretty slick if you are not looking to close. He bought me these http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/d659/ for my bday. I love them. So cute!

I have the lightsaber ones. :)  (They're actually harder to use than my regular chopsticks, because they're thicker.)