Author Topic: Used it today on a fundraising caller with great success!  (Read 3469 times)

Dragonflymom

Used it today on a fundraising caller with great success!
« on: September 23, 2008, 10:50:25 PM »
I got a fundraising call at Dad's business today from an organization, claiming that somebody had put MY name down to be held for bail at their organization's fundraiser.  Highly unlikely, as Dad and I are the only two people in the company, I know he wouldn't do that to me, and none of our clients would have as I'm just the back office person and they largely deal with Dad.  Regardless at first I was willing to go along, as it was for a cause I supported with and the "jail" would be at a fun local restaurant, so I would have donated 50 bucks or whatever seemed reasonable to DH and I.

Then she tells me my "bail" would be 1000 dollars! :o  ACK!  No way could DH and I afford that, and Dad's business couldn't either.  I guess you're supposed to ask friends or clients to help, but I am chronically shy and just no good at that sort of thing.

Somehow in my moment of blind panic I remembered the "I'm sorry that won't be possible" line, and used it over and over til she gave up with the bail idea, then used it over and over again as she tried to get me to volunteer a friend for this, til she finally completely gave up and hung up. :)  Never did think to tell her that I might have donated something had she not sprung the 1000 dollars thing on me.  Once I heard that my flustered little brain completely shut down. :P
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

missmolly

Re: Used it today on a fundraising caller with great success!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
Nice work jennyanne. 1000 bucks?  :o While it might be flattering that people believe you're that generous, it's a fairly ambitious figure for one person.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
Good work!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Mrs.E

• AKA: Micha, SoontobeMrs.E
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
Nice work jennyanne. 1000 bucks?  :o While it might be flattering that people believe you're that generous, it's a fairly ambitious figure for one person.

Just FYI, they dont expect one person to give $1000 to get out of jail. My friend is doing it right now. People donate on a website or to the "jailee" for the bail. Generally I dont think the person going to jail puts in much money. Its just a fun way to raise money.

Good for you for standing up for yourself!

LadyofMaine

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:14:06 AM »
Surely she would have no compunctions about telling you the "inmate's" name.