News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .  (Read 5280 times)

blank space

« on: September 28, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:51:32 AM by blank space »

kitchenscratch

Re: But what if Baby's picky?...shower invite tackiness
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
I received a baby shower invitation recently.  Enclosed in the invitation was one of those store-issued registry cards, which reads:

“Baby’s registered at Bullseye* and Bullseye.com*.  But what if Baby’s picky?  Better get a gift receipt.”

Hold on.  BUT WHAT IF BABY’S PICKY????  Last I checked, newborns didn’t ask for much except regular feedings, clean diapers, and lots of cuddling.  And besides, the whole point of a registry is so the parents-to-be can be as choosy as they like about which make, model, and color of everything they receive!  If you don’t want it, don’t register for it!  This smacks of the “all I really want is the cash but I can’t come right out and tell you so I’ll just return your gift the first chance I get” tackiness we’ve read about so many, many times on Etiquette Hell.  The fact that large companies are endorsing this type of behavior is, while unsurprising, rather sad.

Guess I’ll just get “Baby” a gift certificate….

BabyShowers1001-07

Eh, might not be for the right amount. Better be safe and not get baby anything...wouldn't want to offend his/her delicate sensibilities, after all  >:D

Clara Bow

• I gotta go.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »
POD.
What a boor!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:19:25 PM »
This one made me chuckle. Can't believe how the parents are basically blaming the baby for their own greed!

On the other hand, maybe the parents genuinely believe that the baby could be fussy? They could be those helicopter parents, who want everything to be "just right" for their child, and are fearful that a guest will give the baby a gift that the baby might not like?

look in the tunk

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
Wow... well, if baby is that picky he/she can buy his/her own stuff!

caranfin

• I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
I'm confused. The post says this was a "store-issued registry card." Doesn't that mean the "picky baby" line came from the store, and not the parents?
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Snewt

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »
Target's return policy is terrible, so I can understand the need to letguests know to bring gift receipts.  (In case of duplicates, defective merchandise, etc.) But there has GOT to be  better way to spread the word!

Emmy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 11:17:04 AM »
Wow... well, if baby is that picky he/she can buy his/her own stuff!

POD!

snowflake

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
But what if baby's picky?

If a baby doesn't like something, they don't say so at the store.  They say so after you get the item home, get it out of the packaging, put it together, and make it unreturnable. After it's clear they don't like it they've already spit up on it.

A gift card won't help a picky baby.  If baby is picky, the parents can contribute to free cycle.

look in the tunk

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »
I'm confused. The post says this was a "store-issued registry card." Doesn't that mean the "picky baby" line came from the store, and not the parents?

That's weird, I didn't notice it before.  I have seen registry cards for said store (or at least I am assuming, based on the bullseye thing) and it's never said that.

Yea, I was wondering that as well. I guess someone wrote it in. Surely the bullseye wouldn't have that on their standard registry card. Surely...

Nuala

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »
Target's return policy is terrible, so I can understand the need to let guests know to bring gift receipts.  (In case of duplicates, defective merchandise, etc.) But there has GOT to be  better way to spread the word!

I don't care for the return policy, so I just won't shop there for registry items. I'm spreading that word!

NEDESAPIO

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
"But what if baby's picky."

My first thought reading this was that the parents thought they were being funny.

Asharah

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
Even is baby is picky, how is he gonna tell you? Even if he barfs on something, does that mean he likes it or hates it?
Asharah