News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 28, 2016, 02:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New EHell Kindness Project - Library in Guatemala  (Read 1383649 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
New EHell Kindness Project - Library in Guatemala
« on: November 23, 2015, 06:16:30 AM »
Blog readers were introduced to Ehell's latest "kindness" project a few weeks ago and now it is time for the forum members to get acquainted.

Agua Viva Children's Home and School is located just outside of Guatemala City, Guatemala  and despite being located in a more rural area, the school has a great record of student achievements even nationally. The irony of this is that the school library is nearly non-existent and there is no local community library at all.  A good friend of mine, Misi, who works at the school, has responded to that need and has begun collecting Spanish language books to create these libraries.   She created an Amazon Wish List to help people like me to know what books were needed.    I have a deep interest in providing children quality, classic literature because I believe reading opens a world of ideas, imagination, and inspiration and develops scholastic skills further.   With Guatemala's illiteracy rate extremely high and children growing up not having access to reading materials, I believe we at Ehell have an unique opportunity to impact a school and surrounding community by donating to its libraries project.   Shortly after announcing this project on the Ehell blog, there was a large upsurge in book donations to the project which we attribute to Ehell blog readers.

The Agua Viva Library Projects Amazon Wish List can be viewed here:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/DCN4IMJYMGL6/ref=cm_sw_su_w 

Just this morning I bought "The Count of Monte Cristo" but I see such books as "Captains Courageous", "The Hobbit" and other books by Tolkien, "Sherlock Holmes", "Treasure Island",  "The Hunger Games",  "
Fahrenheit 451", "Call of the Wild" and "The Little Prince" still needed.    I would love to see Ehellions play a significant role in establishing these libraries.  With most books under $10, many at the $6.00 price,  this is a doable project.   

When you purchase the book(s), the check out steps should prompt you where to ship them with the option "Agua Viva Library Program's Gift Registry Address".   I've known Misi for many years and you can trust that your donation is going to Guatemala.   

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: New EHell Kindness Project - Library in Guatemala
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:23:33 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations for other classic literature in Spanish we could add to the Amazon Wish List?   If you could stock a library in a rural town of Guatemala, what books would it have?   It's a challenge to find Spanish language books.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:24:01 PM »
34 books donated so far!   Thank you!

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:20:49 PM »
Do they have S.E. Hinton on their Amazon? The Outsiders is my all time favorite book, I think every library should have it  ;D

Also, I remember loving Tomie DePaola in school. They are children's books, but they are great to read. Gone With The Wind and Grapes of Wrath are both favorites of mine as well.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:28:19 PM by afbluebelle »
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »
Gone With The Wind and Grapes of Wrath are both favorites of mine as well.

I'm not sure I'd be recommending buying a book that extolled the virtues of both slavery and the plantation system to a country with a large indigenous population who have had huge issues with how they've been treated and land ownership.

Nothing to see here.

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »
Gone With The Wind and Grapes of Wrath are both favorites of mine as well.

I'm not sure I'd be recommending buying a book that extolled the virtues of both slavery and the plantation system to a country with a large indigenous population who have had huge issues with how they've been treated and land ownership.

You know, I thought of that when I woke up.... Grapes of Wrath isn't exactly great for that either. My mind wasn't on current events, just classic books.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
I think adding some Latin American authors to the list would be a good idea. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende,The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho,and The Time of the Hero by Mario Vargas Llosa.

Maryland

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
I see that some books have a note appended that they would like X and have received Y, but others do not. Are those ones that they have reached their goal on? How can we send them books not on the list?  I an thinking if the Little House books, or the Borrowers
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:17:57 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jones

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
I didn't notice any Roald Dahl books on there, how about Las Brujas (The Witches), James y el Melocoton Gigantic (James and the Giant Peach), El Gran Gigante Bonachon (The BFG), Matilda, Los Cretinos (The Twits)? They were all favorites of mine as a kid.
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »
I see that some books have a note appended that they would like X and have received Y, but others do not. Are those ones that they have reached their goal on? How can we send them books not on the list?  I an thinking if the Little House books, or the Borrowers

I know at least one set of Little House on the Prairie books have already been donated a while back.   

astaraels-get

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
I think adding some Latin American authors to the list would be a good idea. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende,The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho,and The Time of the Hero by Mario Vargas Llosa.

I agree. I did some research and found some good ideas for children's books by Latin American authors.

Alfombras de aserrín (Sawdust Carpets) by Amelia Lau Carling: http://www.amazon.com/Alfombras-aserr%C3%ADn-Sawdust-Carpets-Spanish-Language/dp/0888996241/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448642260&sr=8-2&keywords=sawdust+carpets

Dalia's Wondrous Hair / El cabello maravilloso de Dalia by Laura Lacamara: http://www.amazon.com/Wondrous-cabello-maravilloso-English-Spanish/dp/1558857893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448643801&sr=8-1&keywords=El+Cabello+Maravilloso+de+Dalia

El Soñador (The Dreamer) by Pam Munoz Ryan: http://www.amazon.com/El-So%C3%B1ador-Spanish-language-Dreamer/dp/054517600X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448645151&sr=1-4&keywords=the+dreamer+pam+munoz+ryan

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »

If there is no quantity listed, that likely means they only need one more copy because they are trying to stock three separate libraries in the community.   Last year Etiquette Hell LLC purchased a number of classic children's books including one set of the Little House series but I noticed that Misi, the library coordinator, has added another set to the Wish List earlier today.   

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »

I agree. I did some research and found some good ideas for children's books by Latin American authors.

Alfombras de aserrín (Sawdust Carpets) by Amelia Lau Carling: http://www.amazon.com/Alfombras-aserr%C3%ADn-Sawdust-Carpets-Spanish-Language/dp/0888996241/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448642260&sr=8-2&keywords=sawdust+carpets

Dalia's Wondrous Hair / El cabello maravilloso de Dalia by Laura Lacamara: http://www.amazon.com/Wondrous-cabello-maravilloso-English-Spanish/dp/1558857893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448643801&sr=8-1&keywords=El+Cabello+Maravilloso+de+Dalia

El Soñador (The Dreamer) by Pam Munoz Ryan: http://www.amazon.com/El-So%C3%B1ador-Spanish-language-Dreamer/dp/054517600X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448645151&sr=1-4&keywords=the+dreamer+pam+munoz+ryan

Thanks for the recommendations.  Misi has added them to the Wish List as well as more science books and more classics.