News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 24, 2015, 04:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New EHell Kindness Project - Library in Guatemala  (Read 97 times)

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
New EHell Kindness Project - Library in Guatemala
« on: Yesterday at 06:16:30 AM »
Blog readers were introduced to Ehell's latest "kindness" project a few weeks ago and now it is time for the forum members to get acquainted.

Agua Viva Children's Home and School is located just outside of Guatemala City, Guatemala  and despite being located in a more rural area, the school has a great record of student achievements even nationally. The irony of this is that the school library is nearly non-existent and there is no local community library at all.  A good friend of mine, Misi, who works at the school, has responded to that need and has begun collecting Spanish language books to create these libraries.   She created an Amazon Wish List to help people like me to know what books were needed.    I have a deep interest in providing children quality, classic literature because I believe reading opens a world of ideas, imagination, and inspiration and develops scholastic skills further.   With Guatemala's illiteracy rate extremely high and children growing up not having access to reading materials, I believe we at Ehell have an unique opportunity to impact a school and surrounding community by donating to its libraries project.   Shortly after announcing this project on the Ehell blog, there was a large upsurge in book donations to the project which we attribute to Ehell blog readers.

The Agua Viva Library Projects Amazon Wish List can be viewed here: 

Just this morning I bought "The Count of Monte Cristo" but I see such books as "Captains Courageous", "The Hobbit" and other books by Tolkien, "Sherlock Holmes", "Treasure Island",  "The Hunger Games",  "
Fahrenheit 451", "Call of the Wild" and "The Little Prince" still needed.    I would love to see Ehellions play a significant role in establishing these libraries.  With most books under $10, many at the $6.00 price,  this is a doable project.   

When you purchase the book(s), the check out steps should prompt you where to ship them with the option "Agua Viva Library Program's Gift Registry Address".   I've known Misi for many years and you can trust that your donation is going to Guatemala.   

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?