Author Topic: I just let myself be walked all over.  (Read 2725 times)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
I just let myself be walked all over.
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »
I usually only post small annoyances to me, but this one has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I had invited our close circle of friends over for dinner this evening, this consists of  two single guys and one couple. Guy in couple is in NYC this weekend so just his girlfriend will be coming. While making arrangements yesterday, one of the single guys, JT, mentions that we should have drunken game night that night. Since neither of the single guys have apartments big enough, this will now also be our responsibility. Ok, fine extra work for me, but I know BF wants to hang out. We go to the store buy extra food so we can have some snacks on hand and a 12 pack. When we get back from the store JT (the originator of this) mentions that we should now have the evening at the other couples house because he's already there and everyone should go there.

No, we have extra food because you asked us to hold this so you are coming here. Fine, they all come here. Then I notice both single guys arrive without any beer. MMMM...that's strange they always come with beer. Susan, the girlfriend has a bottle of wine, which is very nice because she barely drinks.

So we start to run out of beer and I mention that we're going to have to do a beer run. Both single guys finally admit that they have no money but will go with whoever is going to carry it back. So wait a second, you wanted to have drunken game night, but wanted us pay for all the beer?

And I'm still cooking a full meal for the exact same group tonight, where of course we'll provide all the drinks because we're ACTUALLY hosting that!

And yes, we ended up paying for the beer, but Bf did make them carry it home.

One of the single guys never has money, the other usually will cover him and always brings hostess gifts and contributes to meals, so both of them completely flaking has never happened before. They both know this is uncool behavior, so maybe they were just in a bind. But then they shouldn't have invited themselves over.

Pixie

Re: I just let myself be walked all over.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »
Not cool, not cool at all.   I am so sorry, I do know how annoying that can be.    I was so afraid you were going to say they packed up your food and took it to that other couples' place. 

No, thankfully, I'm the only one dumb enough to let that happen to me.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:47:19 PM »
I think I would've went without more beer.  That's just beyond rude.  They dictated exactly what they wanted you to host and came completely unprepared.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 03:07:27 PM »
Don't invite them again.

Or if you do, and they try to dictate the terms, tell them, "Sorry, but if you expect me to do the hosting, you need to take what I provide.  Otherwise, you need to be supplying the space and the provisions on your own dollars."
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 03:21:33 PM »
What exactly is "drunken game night"?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

Nothing more exciting than us sitting around drinking beers and  playing Trivial pursuit or Cranium. the girls prefer Cranium and the boys prefer Trivial Pursuit, we of course played Trivial Pursuit, because that's just how my night was last night.

:) Oh, I also had out Operation, just in case.

Ondine

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »
Jess and I know a girl who does this - she was the one who we did not want at my party because of her behaviour. She shows up empty-handed, but then leaves with food - and in one case - a can of Guinness, which is expensive itself. This wouldn't be so bad if she at least offered and we told her that we had everything under control, but she never offers to bring anything either. We have stopped inviting her to functions because she does not seem to have any respect for us as hosts.

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
So we start to run out of beer and I mention that we're going to have to do a beer run

For future reference, keep in mind that, if no one else is contributing, it does not obligate you to pick up all the slack.  In other words, if the beer is gone, the beer is gone. 

Pixie

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:49 AM »

and how do you get the games drunk enough to play them?

I'm sorry, I just HAD to ask, Evil Pixie made me do it!  ;D