Author Topic: looking for an ingredient, not a recipe  (Read 2068 times)

lovinAZ

looking for an ingredient, not a recipe
« on: March 25, 2007, 03:29:38 PM »
I had a soiree last night, at which several people couldn't have dairy (a couple of vegans and one with severe milk allergies).  I attempted to make chocolate instant pudding with soy milk so that everyone could partake.  I learned, after mixing up two boxes and taking it out of the fridge an hour later, that soymilk in instant pudding doesn't congeal -- it looks exactly the same as it did when I put it in.

Well, the party is long since over and the non-dairy-s are gone.  Is there anything I can add to this to save my chocolate pudding for myself?

audrey1962

Re: looking for an ingredient, not a recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:41:20 PM »
Okay, you've got me there, I have no idea. Have you thought about heating it and adding a thickening agent (such as corn starch)? Either that or pour it into a mini-pie shell and bake it. I'm really just guessing though. I'd be interested to hear what you actually do - please keep us posted.

BettyP

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »
I've had this happen because we didn't have regular milk in the house for a long time. (I deluded myself thinking that soy milk baked just as well LOL) I've never figured out what to do other than pouring it over ice cream. Sorry!

AnnaB

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
Not sure if this would work - but maybe mix in a package of unflavoured gelatin to make it set?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:00:42 AM »
Buy a big tub of Kool whip. Slowly add pudding to whip, folding it in, not stirring it up. Stop when the texture is what you want. Chil and serve with cocoa sprinkled over top- instant choc mousse.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:22:58 AM »
This would change the flavor a bit, but perhaps mixing it with some plain or vanilla yogurt?

Lady Vavasour

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 08:37:33 PM »
Not sure if this would work - but maybe mix in a package of unflavoured gelatin to make it set?

Gelatine is actually an animal product (it is found in bones). Arrowroot can be used as a vegan thickener. Unfortunately I have never used it and don't know how much arrowroot to use compared with gelatine.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 08:42:12 PM »
How about freezing it into popsicles?

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:45:53 AM »
How does it taste now?

You don't want to put any more ingredients into something that just can't be fixed. :P

lovinAZ

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions. 

I have eaten about half of it over fresh strawberries, which was pretty tasty.

At this point, there is little enough left that I feel OK about trying something and if it doesn't work, just throwing it away.  Complete mental game, I know. 

I think I'll try to turn it into mousse (but likely not until this weekend). I'll let you know how it turns out... or doesn't...

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
Who knew that soy milk doesn't work with instant pudding?  I'll file that for future reference!

There is actually a recipe for chocolate pudding on the back of some cartons of chocolate Silk.  It's also on their website:  http://www.silksoymilk.com/AppetiteAppeal/RecipeDetails.aspx?category=11&recipe=11

I made this once and found it to be quite tasty.  Maybe I'll make it again tonight...

Sapphi27

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »
I've never made any non-dairy desserts, but most of the vegan recipes I've seen use a combination of soy milk & silken tofu and mixed with hand blender.

Silken tofu usually comes in a aseptic box and may not be in the refrigerator section.  It is different from regular tofu in texture and blends easily.

http://www.morinu.com/product/tofu.html

ETA:  *smacks head* I really should have looked at the date of the OP