Author Topic: How do you answer this ?  (Read 2363 times)

kiero

How do you answer this ?
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »
So last night I made a new dessert for a freind of mine and DH's who was coming over.  I got to use the madolin that I got for Christmas.  Unfortunatly it has a pretty steep learning curve and so I sliced two little bits off my fingers.   Nothing really serious - but I learned that the guard should be used...  Anyway - I was kind of worried that our friend would see the two bandaids on my fingers and ask what happened...

It didn't happen - but I what would you say??  If seems like it might make the dessert a little less tasty if I told the truth (there was no contamination of the apples I swear). 

What would you all say?

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: How do you answer this ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 06:38:21 PM »
Tell them that your natural grace and poise got the best of you in the kitchen and you cut yourself. No need to tell them the details.
I hack myself to pieces in the kitchen, you should see what I've done to my knuckles with the Microplaner. I never bleed into the food, and I assume other people take care also. I doubt your guests will look at the dinner funny.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Sefie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:48:02 PM »
I wouldn't be too upset if my host told me they'd cut themselves while preparing the food.  Well, I mean, I wouldn't be upset about the FOOD, I'd be upset that my friend had cut themselves!

Unless the dessert involved raspberry sauce.  Then I don't think I could stop myself from teasing them a little :D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
No raspberries or cherries in the sauce?  Just mention that there was a learning curve on a new piece of equipment..........

I lost some skin on my knuckle earlier this weekend, learning how to use the spline roller to replace the aging and brittle screening in our window screens.  If they ever need a DNA sample because I have gone missing - there are blood & skin cells on at least three of the screens.........

Not to mention a few of the various kitchen implements..........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Minmom3

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »
Given that I've done the same thing with a cheese grater, I'd just let it lie....  If they ask, then tell them, assuring all detached body parts went in the trash, not the food... :P 

Mandolins - fun, fun, fun things that are wicked sharp and deadly.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

becurless

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:49:37 AM »
I used to be a chef...and I could tell you stories of trips to the ER for stitches for various kitchen workers lol! I would just say "I cut myself" and leave it at that. They probably didn't even notice unless the bandaid was seeping blood and it was quite obvious.

Don't worry :)

minnaloushe

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:51:49 PM »

What would you all say?

"I worked my fingers to the bone for this dessert!"

*ducks and runs*

BurninDinner

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
Some crack about the blood, sweat, and tears that went into this dinner, then get up and go into the kitchen while everyone is still processing that.