Author Topic: Guests: The BBQ Guests who brought their own wine and wine glasses  (Read 15010 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Guests: The BBQ Guests who brought their own wine and wine glasses
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »
I'm just wondering who drinks wine at a barbecue.

Here in Texas, barbecues mean two things: MEAT and BEER.
Words mean things.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2008, 06:21:52 PM »
I'm just wondering who drinks wine at a barbecue.

Here in Texas, barbecues mean two things: MEAT and BEER.

That is what I thought too.  I remember snickering at a couple in that Euless BBQ place because not only did they bring wine, but they brought a delicate French white. 

RedRuby

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
I'd drink wine at a BBQ because I hate beer. I won't ever drink beer. However, I'd think nothing of drinking it out of a plastic cup.

I think it's very odd that they brought wine glasses. That's the part that would have bothered me if I was the host. I mean, couldn't they have asked the host for glasses if it meant that much to them? It reeks of "we're too good for your cups".

I've been to BYOBs where we all share (usually smaller get-togethers) and BYOBs where we drink only what we bring (usually really big parties where it's just too expensive to bring enough for everyone). I get the feeling this particular party wasn't BYOB.

The only thing I don't think the couple was rude about was not dropping the bottle in the recycling. The recycle bin may not have been very visible plus I think it's the host's job to clean up.

Binxi

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:35 PM »
We had an informal work christmas party on the weekend. It was a BBQ potluck- we all brought our own meat to grill and a side to share.

We all bought our own booze, some of us who had wine shared with others, others drank their own because they didn't like what we had brought. No harm, no foul. BYOB is generally you bring what YOU want to drink and share if you feel like it. If someone asks if you want some of theirs, it would probably be considered rude to accept and not reciprocate.

Plastic wine glasses were put out but a lot of people brought their own glass. This is not too uncommon. It's normally laughed away with "at least I don't have to worry about dropping your good glasses!" A lot of us HATE drinking out of plastic glasses. It's not because we think we're better or looking down on the host, it's just a preference. I think perhaps Australians are less sensitive (not in a bad or good way, just different) to how we appear to others. We don't tend to get complexes about things too easily  ;)

Booze is quite common at children's birthdays too. Parents will often share a glass or two of champage. At such a young age, they really are more for the parents than the children.

The fact that they drank a bottle together and then drove home could be a worry, it depends on over how long a period the alcohol was consumed.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »
Well if you are going to bring wine, I can see bringing the glasses. I mean a real die hard wine eficiando is NOT going to drink wine from a plastic cup. The appropriate wine glass is supposed to enhance the boquet and flavor of the beverage.

Bringing the wine in the first place, without intended to share though, yeah that's kinda weird. If my hubby and I bring wine, we always bring at least two bottles.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
I guess the issue is merely cultural.
I've been to a lot of parties where guests brought some wine or beer or whatever with them- but not to share with everyone would be, in my circle of friends/life experience- jaw-dropping unthinkable. I can see the point, however, that in some parts of the world this might be considered acceptable
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
I think the fact that the OP was so put out by this behavior, though, seems to imply that this is *not* what this culture or social circle usually does.  If everybody were bringing their own alcohol, then it seems odd to bother talking about the couple bringing a bottle of wine just for themselves.  Even if the couple made a mistake, surely they could have been enough aware of social signals to see that nobody else was doing such a thing, and to put the wine back in the car or in a safe place in the house and just bring it back home with them afterwards.