Author Topic: The story, the whole story and nothing but the story  (Read 4587 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: The story, the whole story and nothing but the story
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
Also, letters for people  A went to the store and had a run in with F.  G witnessed the whole thing, but M couldn't stand up for A because they were arguing with Z.   Or DD1, DD2, SIL's BIL's DS's MIL is really really confusing.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »
The opposite of including Aunt Gertrude's life history and that her favourite pie is Key Lime is asking questions with no context.

For example, the original post reads like this (entirely made up by me as an example):

Is it rude to invite your brother to your wedding, but then one week before, phone him and tell him not to show up?

And that's it. No context, no backstory.

I appreciate a short post, but that is just a little bit too short eh? If an issue is to painful to discuss, or if the details are hard for you, I certainly understand. The relationship between you and your sibling is not my business. But in that case, might I respectfully suggest that a public internet forum is not the best place for that particular etiquette question?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:08 AM »
  I'd like to add if you do need to add an important detail , update the original post also.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »
Also, letters for people  A went to the store and had a run in with F.  G witnessed the whole thing, but M couldn't stand up for A because they were arguing with Z.   Or DD1, DD2, SIL's BIL's DS's MIL is really really confusing.

And, to add to this thought....even you people who have recurring characters need to explain who people are.  It can be as simple as putting something like:

My Aging Aunt (AA) has struck again!  AA told my mother that she wants waffles tomorrow morning instead of french toast.

Even if you think we all should know who AA is by now, we may have forgotten what your letters mean.  And, newbies sure don't know who it is.  It's so simple to just do like newspapers do and put in the full name in the beginning to explain the initials that you're going to use in the rest of the post.

There is a thread at this very moment with a recurring character that I cannot, for the life of me, remember what the initials stand for.  It'd be great if the OP could have, at least, expanded it out in the initial post to refresh my memory.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - YOU know your story inside and out.  You know who the characters are.  You know the plotline.  You know everything about it.  But, you can't expect the rest of us to be able to follow your story without giving us a lot of help in defining all the points that you know so well.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
If (general) you post a thread, realize you will get a divergence of responses, some that don't agree with (general) you.  By the same token, if you post a thread, at least come back to answer some of the questions.  Some threads get very long, clarifications are needed and the OP never comes back.   Perhaps (general) you should only post if you are willing to see the thread through.

Also, deleting an entire thread or the OP is quite rude.  People go looking for it.  You may not like your OP or the answers you got, but it certainly isn't fair to those who responded that you (general) also deleted their posts. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
Also, letters for people  A went to the store and had a run in with F.  G witnessed the whole thing, but M couldn't stand up for A because they were arguing with Z.   Or DD1, DD2, SIL's BIL's DS's MIL is really really confusing.

And, to add to this thought....even you people who have recurring characters need to explain who people are.  It can be as simple as putting something like:

My Aging Aunt (AA) has struck again!  AA told my mother that she wants waffles tomorrow morning instead of french toast.

Even if you think we all should know who AA is by now, we may have forgotten what your letters mean.  And, newbies sure don't know who it is.  It's so simple to just do like newspapers do and put in the full name in the beginning to explain the initials that you're going to use in the rest of the post.

There is a thread at this very moment with a recurring character that I cannot, for the life of me, remember what the initials stand for.  It'd be great if the OP could have, at least, expanded it out in the initial post to refresh my memory.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - YOU know your story inside and out.  You know who the characters are.  You know the plotline.  You know everything about it.  But, you can't expect the rest of us to be able to follow your story without giving us a lot of help in defining all the points that you know so well.

I find the Aging Aunt (AA) shortening to be confusing too.  Just make a name like Aunt Tilly or something. 

To add to that.  Starting a thread with a recurring character without pointing to previous threads or starting a thread as a continuation of another thread like everyone has read your other threads is like starting mid-story.  It is also easy to just update an existing thread rather than starting a new one when not everyone knows the backstory.

You are bang on in your last paragraph.  I think many posters don't stop to think that.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
I find the Aging Aunt (AA) shortening to be confusing too.  Just make a name like Aunt Tilly or something. 

I agree that that would be ideal! :)

But, that's not what people seem to be doing, so at least put in the Aging Aunt (AA) if you're going to have some kind of initials for your people!

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 10:54:47 PM »
Also, deleting an entire thread or the OP is quite rude.  People go looking for it.  You may not like your OP or the answers you got, but it certainly isn't fair to those who responded that you (general) also deleted their posts. 
Moderators must not find this rude, since we can't delete our own threads and they must do it for us. Sometimes there's a good reason for an OP to ask that a thread be removed.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
So I'm not allowed to think something is rude if a mod doesn't? I'm not allowed to have an opinion contrary to a mod? 

I do find it rude when an OP deletes all their posts in a thread. I was mistaken that the entire thread can be deleted by the op but that doesn't alter the fact that I think it is rude for an OP to remove all their messages from a thread leaving no context for future readers.   

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
So I'm not allowed to think something is rude if a mod doesn't? I'm not allowed to have an opinion contrary to a mod? 

I do find it rude when an OP deletes all their posts in a thread. I was mistaken that the entire thread can be deleted by the op but that doesn't alter the fact that I think it is rude for an OP to remove all their messages from a thread leaving no context for future readers.   
Of course you are   ???

A long time member stating "It is rude...." in an Administrative Folder might give a newer person the impression that this is a consensus or that the option to remove a thread is not available.  The wording didn't make it clear that it was an opinion.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 01:27:02 AM »
It was an opinion.  That is it.  I believe it is rude to delete posts from a thread, especially the OP b/c it removes context.  I did not state any type of 'authority' as a long time member, just my opinion.  I have a great deal of respect for the mods.  That doesn't mean I agree with all their opinions on rudeness.  We wouldn't need mods if we all agreed!