Author Topic: Printing for friends and maybe friends of friends  (Read 6895 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Printing for friends and maybe friends of friends
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 11:19:45 PM »
No - the store has some kind of machine that fills the cartridges (I've also refilled them myself with the kit).  Sometimes the machine works - sometimes the cartridge fails the "test" afterward (Walgreens close to the high school a couple of miles down the street).  I've had a couple that worked well after being refilled and one that failed the test.  The printer failed to "recognize" the cartridge after that (the HP that is picky on cartridges).

I've had pretty good luck refilling Canon cartridges - the little tool is a tiny hand drill to make a hole in the case - then you insert a little rubber plug (may have a valve in it) to seal it back up after refilling the thing.  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it is better at making a mess.

Wear better gloves than the plastic ones they include - I find that they split and were awkward due to being the wrong size for MY hands (one size fits almost nobody).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Craftymom

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
I ended up trying to do the refilling thing on a food-grade cartridge at work earlier this year. We had an "edible image" to print out for a cake order and the one color had run out. It took up to a week to order in a new one, and we didn't want to disappoint the customer.

I ended up getting a small kid medicine syringe (blunt end-no needle) from the pharmacy and loading it up with the comparable color from our bottled colors and peeling the label back and taking out the tiny rubber stopper and refilling it a few drops at a time till I had enough to print.

My hands were bright hot pink for the better part of a week.

sarahplainandtall

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »
I ended up trying to do the refilling thing on a food-grade cartridge at work earlier this year. We had an "edible image" to print out for a cake order and the one color had run out. It took up to a week to order in a new one, and we didn't want to disappoint the customer.

I ended up getting a small kid medicine syringe (blunt end-no needle) from the pharmacy and loading it up with the comparable color from our bottled colors and peeling the label back and taking out the tiny rubber stopper and refilling it a few drops at a time till I had enough to print.

I've always wondered, how DO those "photo cakes" work?  Do you print the image with edible ink on an edible transfer, and then just stick it on the cake, or is it done by airbrushing?

Scooter

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »
This is a good time for her to learn to say no to people.  The others can go to a commercial place for their printing needs, or purchase their own color printer.  As long as she is willing to do it there is no incentive for people to replace their printers.  I would advise her to not charge for printing but rather to just say no to the whole thing.  Charging for printing is just going to add more hassle and conflicts to her life.

Jan74

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »

I've always wondered, how DO those "photo cakes" work?  Do you print the image with edible ink on an edible transfer, and then just stick it on the cake, or is it done by airbrushing?

Ah ha! I can help you there! I set a cake printer for a client of mine.

The ink is food coloring, as you have guessed; the paper is very very thin, edible rice paper, different from the one we use to make Chinese lanterns and kites cause it is made with just rice and water, not glues or toxic chemicals. So the printer prints it, then he places it over the frosting, and then tops it with gloss jelly (that shiny cornstarch thing they put on fruit pies), which moistens the paper making it edible.

Then you can all eat a piece of the poor child whose picture is on the cake. I am creeped out, but hey, different strokes...

Craftymom

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
Yes, it printed onto an edible, (but only marginally-that stuff was hideous) rice paper with a backing piece. After printing we would gently peel off the backing and place it on the cake. I never heard before of topping the image with anything, but I suppose it can be done.

Yes, I am squicked out by the idea of eating someone's "face" myself.