Author Topic: Bridal Shower: sex toy sales shower  (Read 19836 times)

djinnidjream

Re: Bridal Shower: sex toy sales shower
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »
I really think that in this situation, it was horribly inappropriate- esp because there was no warning.

That being said- I've been to one of these parties- its not like everyone yells out "I'd like the superinflatable double ended scrabble board with 6 different attachments please".  Orders are taken discreetly and shipped individually- not even the hostess knows what was purchased.  All the hostess finds out is the grand total at the end so she knows how much product she gets.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

LadyofMaine

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »
I'd have been out the door so fast. :o

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »
I really think that in this situation, it was horribly inappropriate- esp because there was no warning.

That being said- I've been to one of these parties- its not like everyone yells out "I'd like the superinflatable double ended scrabble board with 6 different attachments please".  Orders are taken discreetly and shipped individually- not even the hostess knows what was purchased.  All the hostess finds out is the grand total at the end so she knows how much product she gets.

But I presume that items are "demonstrated"? And that potential customers are encouraged to comment on them?

I don't see how you could sell these items, and truly end up with no one revealing possibly excessive information about their habits.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 01:15:32 AM »

But I presume that items are "demonstrated"? And that potential customers are encouraged to comment on them?

Not necessarily; it really depends on the atmosphere of the gathering.

Sometimes they're just neatly displayed on a table; sometimes one or more are powered on and passed around (much giggling usually ensues), but I've never heard anyone say, "Oh, I have one of these and I love it!" or "Hey, how does this thing work?" 

And there are (in my experience) always innocuous products, like pretty lingerie, bubble bath and body wash, scented powder, candles, etc., so that no one ever knows whether Grace from Accounting ordered the double-pronged Scrabble kit, or if she ordered the manicure/pedicure gift set for her Auntie Fay's 90th birthday.

- saphie

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:47 AM »
I buy my "extra Scrabble tiles" in private or online....I can't imagine doing it in public.....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

librarianinhell

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 10:18:28 PM »
This wasn't a scrabble party but it was work related.

When I worked for the Health Dept. in TB control, sometimes other health agencies would come by, say, Immunization, and they would talk about vaccines.  Anyway, one day the STD dept. came by.  There was a skit, a sort-of game where 6 people were picked from the crowd and each person represented a stage in HIV.  So there was free condoms, lube, little things to prevent STD.  I get in line, look at some stuff.  One cw was looking at stuff too, was talking about the lube, then turns to me and says, "oh, you don't know about this, you're a virgin."   ::)

gollymolly2

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »
I think scrabble toy sales parties are perfectly acceptable for bridal showers/bachelorette parties (or birthday parties or whatever) as long as all invitees know what they are being invited to. Just because some people here wouldn't enjoy it doesn't mean that's true for everyone.

I've been to only one of these parties but all ordering was done in private?

Did the coworker bring her grandmother uninvited?

HonorH

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 12:47:42 AM »
This wasn't a scrabble party but it was work related.

When I worked for the Health Dept. in TB control, sometimes other health agencies would come by, say, Immunization, and they would talk about vaccines.  Anyway, one day the STD dept. came by.  There was a skit, a sort-of game where 6 people were picked from the crowd and each person represented a stage in HIV.  So there was free condoms, lube, little things to prevent STD.  I get in line, look at some stuff.  One cw was looking at stuff too, was talking about the lube, then turns to me and says, "oh, you don't know about this, you're a virgin."   ::)

What, was it printed across your forehead or something?

My sister had a bachelorette party in which many people gifted her with scrabble accessories of all kinds.  Mostly, it was the nice ladies from our church who gave her the raunchiest stuff.  Never underestimate those church ladies!
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

ladycrim

• Where there is cake there is hope, and there is always cake.
  • All hail the kitty
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
I think scrabble toy sales parties are perfectly acceptable for bridal showers/bachelorette parties (or birthday parties or whatever) as long as all invitees know what they are being invited to. Just because some people here wouldn't enjoy it doesn't mean that's true for everyone.

I've been to only one of these parties but all ordering was done in private?

Did the coworker bring her grandmother uninvited?

Nobody knew what kind of shower it was until they arrived.  So, two strikes: 1) They didn't know they would be "invited" to buy things; 2) They were in an uncomfortable position.  (I don't mind that type of shower, but I'd rather be there with my friends than my co-workers!)

Cathy's mother was invited.  Her mother came to the office fairly regularly, so everyone knew her.  Additionally, Cathy's father had passed away recently, so she and her mother were fairly inseparable at the time.  The hostess told Cathy, "Bring your mom!"

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 05:31:15 PM »
I was fooled into attending one of these parties once.  My Tupperware lady invited me and a friend to her "lingerie" party.  That is all that she mentioned would be there.  Friend and I showed up to a houseful of already drunken ladies who all already knew each other, and they were in a raunchy mood.  There was lingerie to try on, but it was hardly mentioned.  They all sat around powering up toys and trying to convince Friend and I which ones we would like the best, based on their own experience.  The sales rep sat in a seperate room, but not really in private.  It was a horrible experience for two shy, young people.  Thank goodness I didn't bring my mom.

Paper Roses

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 05:58:11 PM »
Slightly OT - One of the home shopping channels sells this stuff late at night.  And it's not a premium channel or anything - I was in shock when I came across it.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »
Slightly OT - One of the home shopping channels sells this stuff late at night.  And it's not a premium channel or anything - I was in shock when I came across it.

Heck, I was flipping recently through channels on Saturday morning recently, and came across a *very* indepth discussion of these items nestled right in between the cartoons and other children's programming.

The networks have absolutely no inhibitions about this sort of thing nowadays. The idea that such programming would be discretely tucked away where only those who are interested in it will find it has long gone by the boards.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 06:03:35 AM »
I admit I was a lot younger then, and at the time thought it was a great idea.  In fact, all my co-workers thought it was utterly hilarious and fun.  I'm not sure I'd do it now.  I think if I were in that situation again I'd probably just throw a margarita party and arrange for a dancer (NOT a stripper) to show up.
A friend recently threw a bachalorette party and arranged a belly dancer as a surprise. The party was a raging success, with the belly dancer giving all the girls impromptu belly dancing lessons and even picking up a slew of bookings for formal lessons. I think the groom was a little jealous that his wife-to-be got a belly dancer for her party and he didn't for his. ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
I wouldn't want them to even have a teensy hint that I could be the type of person to own and use them.  

This hit a nerve - what exactly is the type of person to own scrabble accessories? I may be reading too much in this, but this sounds as though using this type of product is somehow reprehensible.

But I agree that coworkers don't need to know what happens (or doesn't) in anyone's bedroom.

I don't think that the Dame meant that as an insult, rather I think that she meant that she could do without the judgements that some people heap on you if they find out you're not completely vanilla in the bedroom. I don't think that she herself judges people that way.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Jander

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
I wouldn't want them to even have a teensy hint that I could be the type of person to own and use them.  

This hit a nerve - what exactly is the type of person to own scrabble accessories? I may be reading too much in this, but this sounds as though using this type of product is somehow reprehensible.

But I agree that coworkers don't need to know what happens (or doesn't) in anyone's bedroom.

I don't think that the Dame meant that as an insult, rather I think that she meant that she could do without the judgements that some people heap on you if they find out you're not completely vanilla in the bedroom. I don't think that she herself judges people that way.

That's not how it came accross to me. I agree with the previous posters that it sounds insulting and judgemental.

I enjoy these kinds of parties and I have even worked for a "scrabble" company, but inviting someone without informing them of the party's nature is a very bad idea.