Author Topic: Kid Friendly  (Read 4594 times)

Summrs

Kid Friendly
« on: June 15, 2007, 07:37:28 PM »
Thought I'd start out this category.  This one was always a favorite of my kids.  It's fun for kids to stab and dip, and itís an easy, nutritious meal. 

Velveeta cheese, cubed          
Milk
Granny Smith apple slices                  
Lightly steamed broccoli flowerets         
French bread chunks

Melt cheese in microwave, adding milk to make a nice pourable consistency, until cheese is thoroughly melted.  Serve with bread, apples and broccoli.

dawbs

Re: Kid Friendly
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:42:24 PM »
not healthy in the least...but FUN.  and can actually become a lovely science project  ;D

Shaken ice cream.
(note, there is a "toy" on the market that you can use to make this, and it works well)
Ingredients:

* 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1/2 cup milk or half & half
    *  vanilla or other flavoring
    *  rock salt
    *  pint-size Ziploc plastic bags (freezer bags = best...they get fewer holes, which is important)
    *  gallon-size Ziploc plastic bags  (again, freezer is better)
    * Ice cubes

1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.

2. Put milk, flavoring (1/4 tsp of an extract like mint or vanilla, or cocoa powder, or quick.  or peanut butter.  Mixing flavors tends to be bad, but on rare occasions is fun.  You were warned), and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.

3. Place the small bag inside the large one and seal again carefully.

4. Shake until mixture is ice cream, about 5 minutes (shake well!  If they just leave it sitting out, it doesn't work--I'd reccoend gloves if the kids don't like cold fingers).  (and outside = best...any holes in the outer bag = droplets of salt water everywhere.  Can be kinda messy that way)

5. Wipe off top of small bag (wipe WELL, salt water mixing w/ it makes it icky), then open carefully and enjoy!

Variations:
-Carageenen.  If you have trouble getting things to thicken, this works wonders.  (just be careful in mentionining "ooh, seaweed extract!") 
-coffee can.  A good can can replace the large ziploc, then 2 kids can roll it between them, less grousing about cold hands
-In a pinch, normal salt works instead of rock salt.
-If you want to try for healthier, low fat milk makes soemthing more like a milkshake. (also works to add malt powder as your flavoring then)
-I have heard (but haven't yet tried) that fruit juice can also work and make sorbet.  But like I said, haven't tried.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:29:07 PM »
Tacos.

I LOVE this one for a group of kids because they only have to add what they like.

AprilRenee

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:34 PM »
mini pizza's.

Make your favorite dough, give each kid enough for a personal pizza. Let them roll it and put whatever on it. One Caveat: If they put it on there, they HAVE to eat it. No complaining that you don't like it :P

If you don't want to use dough, use bagels or english muffins

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:45:07 PM »
My kids all like this chicken recipe:

Marinate chicken in Italian salad dressing (doesn't matter which kind) minimum 4 hours

Combine breading ingredients:
1/2 C parmesan cheese
1/3 C dry bread crumbs
2 T parsley flakes
1/2 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

Roll each piece of chicken in the breading.

Bake until done

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »
This recipe is great for young children just learning to cook - no shortening to measure or eggs to crack.

SUNSET COOKIES

1 lb butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4-1/2 cups flour

Cream butter or margarine. Add sugar and blend thoroughly. Add vanilla. Blend in flour. It may be necessary to work the last of it in with your hands. Shape into rolls 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Roll in colored sugar and wrap in waxed paper. Chill until firm. Cut in slices and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until desired doneness. Makes 7 to 8 dozen cookies.

If you don't happen to have any colored sugar, mix one part dry Jello with three to four parts sugar. This mixture adds both color and flavor.

veraobsession

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:44:51 AM »
One of the first things my mom ever taught me how to make was pizza bread. I would just take a few slices of bread and cover them in pizza sauce or leftover spaghetti sauce, then put on a slice of cheese. Mom had the oven going on 350 and I popped 'em in for about 10 min (till the cheese was good and melty). I still like them now  ::)

Witty Username Goes Here

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »
This is super fun and super easy.  CJ has been loving it (and I have, too!  It's goooood!)

Edible Play Doh

Equal parts

~Peanut Butter
~Honey
~Powdered milk*

Mix together and let the kids create - then eat their creations!

*I have been using a little more powdered milk, so it's not as sticky.

Elle

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »
Veggie bugs!

Cut up lots of veggies and set out with toothpicks. Use the bits to make outrageous looking bugs. Then exterminate the infestation by consuming them all.

OhHai!

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
No further posts to this topic - editing in progress