Author Topic: Beef  (Read 18520 times)

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
Re: Beef
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 04:35:20 PM »
Crockpot shredded beef sandwiches (and BBQ beef sandwiches)

1 roast- any size or cut that will fit in your crockpot. I have found cheap works great.
salt and pepper to taste.
1 bottle BBQ sauce if making BBQ beef

Place roast in crockpot, salt and pepper it. Turn on low for 6 hours or until roast will shred with a fork.

Drain liquids if making BBQ or if you desire a dry filling for sandwiches. Shred meat with a couple of forks.

If making BBQ beef add the sauce and mix.

Serve on buns, rolls or what ever bread you would like. I usually use small hamburger buns- called jr. size buns.

I have taken this dish for years to potlucks and have never have any leftover.

amiboo

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 01:44:09 AM »
Beef & Guiness Pie
1 lb beef stew meat, tenderized
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour         
1 teaspoon salt               
1/2 teaspoon black pepper           
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 med russet potatoes, lrg chunks   1 6oz can tomato paste
8 oz sm button mushrooms, halved   1 ˝ cup beef broth
1 large onion, coarsely chopped   1 ˝ cup Guinness or other Irish stout
2 garlic cloves, chopped      3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp thyme

1 box of frozen puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten

Special equipment: 4 (14-oz) deep bowls or ramekins (4 to 5 inches wide) or similar-capacity ovenproof dishes

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
1 - Put flour, salt, and pepper in a lrg plastic bag. Add beef, turning to coat. Heat oil in a wide 5- to 6-quart ovenproof heavy pot over moderately high heat until just smoking, then dump everything from the bag in and brown the meat, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes, transfer to a bowl.

2 - Add onion and garlic to pot and cook, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pot and stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beef with any juices accumulated in bowl, potatoes, mushrooms, broth, beer, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to oven. Braise until beef is very tender and sauce is thickened, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.  Remove the pastry dough from the freezer to thaw. 

3 - Remove from oven and stir well.  (At this point the dish can be refrigerated up to 2 days, bring it to room temp and continue.)  Leave it sitting out to cool, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to release heat.  (If stew is warm while assembling pies, it will melt uncooked pastry top.)  Put a shallow baking pan (cookie sheet) on middle rack of oven and increase oven temperature to 425°F

4 - Divide cooled stew among bowls (they won't be completely full).  Spread out each pastry dough section and cut in half.  It should be about 1/8 inch thick.  Lightly beat the egg and brush a 1-inch border of egg wash around each square. Invert 1 square of pastry over each bowl and drape, pressing sides lightly to help adhere. Brush pastry tops with egg wash also.  Bake pies in preheated shallow baking pan until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 400°F and bake 5 minutes more to fully cook dough.

retreadbride

Chili (cans and freezes beautifully)
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »
This is the chili recipe that I make for parties and family reunions. I also make it periodically to can. We eat a couple quarts and home-can or freeze the rest. This recipe makes 3 gallons of chili. When I take it to a family reunion I freeze it, put it in an ice chest, and let it thaw on the way. Heat it up over a campstove or grill. It will feed 50 people.

CHILI

3 pounds dried pinto beans
3 tablespoons salt
10 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes
4 cups tomato paste
2/3 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Wash and sort pinto beans. Bring 3 gallons of water to boil in a 6 gallon pot. (I use a 12 quart speckled granny ware pot from Wal-Mart. Plenty big) Pour in beans, return to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Stir in salt and simmer until tender, 90 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Brown beef with onions and garlic over medium high heat in same pot or enormous skillet. Combine meat mixture, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, pepper and cooked beans in 6 gallon pot; stir; cover and simmer 1 hour.

You can add more or less of the spices to suit your taste. I add more chili powder.

If canning:  Use quart jars. Pack into jars leaving 1 inch headspace. I process quarts for 90 minutes and pints for 70.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 04:43:21 AM »
Mama's traditional Austrian Goulash

approximately:

°  1 lb of beef, cubed.  Best cut is shoulder or something similar.  Cubes should be about an inch on each side, but it's up to you.
°  1 lb of onions, minced.  The pile of onions should look about the same size as the beef, volume-wise.
°  oil, a goodly amount
°  hot paprika, about a tablespoonful.  More if you like spicy
°  sweet paprika, 5-6 tablespoonsful.  This is what makes the goulash red
°  salt to taste
°  garlic or garlic powder to taste
°  1 '"beef stew" cube or boullion cube
°  water

In a large pot (think pressure cooker size), brown the minced onions in the oil.  Don't worry if they are sticking to the bottom.  Add the beef, cook till gray all around.  Add the paprika and spices, stir until beef is coated.  Then add some water (this will loosen the stuff that was stuck to the bottom).  Simmer until done (at least an hour).  If necessary, thicken with a bit of water whisked with cornstarch.  Sauce thickens as it boils.  It should be thick enough to serve on a normal plate without it running all over the tablecloth.  Serve with potatos or polenta or slices of baguette.  This is a meal that gets better every time you reheat it.  If you want to stretch it on the second day, you can add potatoes and cut-up hot dogs and water and make it more soupy.  Great for a cold winter's day!
Note:  Hot and sweet paprika are available at international stores.  Look for Hungarian paprika, it's the best!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:04:12 AM by Bienchen »
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

XRogue

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 09:03:52 PM »
Meatballs

5 pounds ground beef

2 tsp salt

4 tsp Italian seasoning, or 1 tsp each oregano, basil, rosemary and thy

2 cloves minced garlic

1 large minced onion

2 tsp red or black pepper

Directions
Mix all ingredients together, roll out in small meatballs,and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or till done thru. Use broiler pan, so that the fat will drain off.

(I invented these as a way to lose some fat calories, and also because I have 2 people in my immediate fam with wheat and egg allergy. So no bread crumbs or eggs for binder.)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Boliche - Cuban style roast beef
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Here is a family favorite that we grew up with.  It is an old Cuban recipe with a twist.

I will print some hints after the recipe.

4-6 pound of eye of round roast. ( I have done this with other cuts with success)
Salt/Pepper to taste

Filling/Topping
2-4 Chorizo sausage (a dry cured sausage)
6 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 medium onion, roughly quartered
2 carrots, peeled cut into 3-4 pieces
Juice of one lime
salt/pepper to taste
a teaspoon of cumin
a teaspoon of dried oregano

Sauce
A can of tomato soup
Saffron or Goya package with azafaron.
Pepper to taste (soup will be salty enough)

Preheat oven to 350.

Take eye of round, stand it on one end.  Use a narrow long knife and insert all the way in one end.  Take knife out and insert the other direction making an X essentially.  Get a long handled wooden spoon.  Push handle in hole widening it.  You may insert the knife one time to help make at least a 1 inch hole. 

Salt and pepper meat really well on all sides.  Rub it in good.  Set aside.

In a food processor, add the filling/topping ingredients.  Pulse till almost a paste. 

Get the meat, start stuffing it with the filling.  I use my fingers and spoon handle on both ends of the meat to get as much as possible in there.  Usually a quarter of your mixture will fit.  Set aside.

In a dutch oven dish, add the tomato soup. saffron and pepper.  Stir.  Place roast in the dish.  Take the remaining filling and squeeze it all on the roast covering the top and sides.  If the filling is too dry for this, add a bit of the tomato soup to the misxture and pulse.

Cover the dish with either the lid or foil tightly.  Place in oven for 3 hours.  Don't peek.  Don't open.  You will go nuts with the smell but be patient. :o)

Remove from oven.  Let cool for 10 minutes before carving.  Spoon luscious sauce over fluffy white rice. Side dishes would be plantanos and a tomato salad. Yum!

Hints:
It does take time with the stuffing of the meat.   A shortcut is to cut the meat to the center without cutting in half.  Like butterflying it.  Place stuff along the center.  Close meat up and string it close.

To make it ahead for storing or parties.  You can stuff it and refrigerate for 2 days or freeze it.  This will also "marinate" the meat a bit too.

You can easily make this in a crockpot as well.  It will be wetter, so you may need to add a bit of seasonings to freshen the flavors.  A squirt of Lime juice will do it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
Choucroute Garni

3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 cup diced celery (including leaves)
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1 2-lb bag saurkraut
1-2 cups white wine
1 oz juniper berries
1 lb beef kielbasa, sliced*

In soup or stew pot, brown onion lightly in olive oil, then add remaining ingredients.  Cook on medium flame until alcohol boils out, then lower flame and simmer covered for 1 hour.  Serves 4-6, depending on your appetite.

This dish was a hit in my SCA group.

*You can substitute pork kielbasa or low-fat, but do not use any smoked sausage labeled "hot", as this is incompatible with the rest of the flavors.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:07:47 PM by Venus193 »

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
BARBECUED HAMBURGERS

2 pounds ground beef
1 cup (or more) ketchup
1-2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper
1 medium onion, chopped

Place all ingredients in crock pot and cook 2 to 4 hours on low. Serve on hamburger buns.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »
Paula Deen's Old-fashioned Meat Loaf- A.K.A "Basic" Meatloaf

I double the recipe and freeze half and pack up the other half for lunches to take to work so I don't need to cook during the week.  I also modified the original which called for only ground beef.  I've tried it with 100% turkey, but it doesn't stick together as well so if you use turkey & beef, it comes out better.  I'll post it in both sections...  The sauce on top is what really makes it - DH douses stuff with catsup and he doesn't need to because the sauce is soooo  good.

1.5 pounds ground turkey
.5 pound ground beef
2.5 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
16 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup quick-cooking oats

Topping:
2/3 cup ketchup
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a 13x9 baking dish. Shape into a loaf.

Topping:
Mix ingredients for topping and spread on loaf.

Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:53:09 PM by bookaddict »

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

MomTo5Cats

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
BRISKET

This is an extremely delicious & easy recipe

Sauce:
4 cups applesauce
2 boxes (4 packages) onion soup
2 cans tomato paste (12 oz cans)
2 cups water

mix together thoroughly. Pour on top of Approx 5-6 lb flat brisket.

Bake on 325 for 2-3 hours. Let cool for about 2 hours, then slice. Reheat at low temperature for approx. 1 hour.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 06:50:40 PM »
Shepherds Pie

Ingredients

Russet potatoes - washed and peeled
butter
milk
Ground Beef
2 or 3 cloves garlic - chopped
Peas & carrots
2 large onions, chopped
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
about 1 cup of chicken stock/or just plain water
1 1/2 tablespoon of dark soya sauce
2 tablespoon cornstarch/cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoon water
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Directions

* Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil them until they become soft.

* Take potatoes out of the pot. Add butter, salt, pepper. Mashed them. If the consistency is too thick, add milk until desired consistency. Set aside.

* Heat pan. Add ground beef. Add garlic once oil appears from the beef. Optional to put salt in beef.

* Continue to cook beef until almost done. Add onions.

* Add chicken stock/water, pepper, salt and dark soya sauce.

* Add peas and carrots.

* Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.

* Add cornflour mixture and stir well until thickens. Turn off heat.

* Place beef mixture onto bottom of oven-proof bowl. Spread evenly.

* Top it off with mashed potatoes.

* Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown. (about 30-40 minutes).

LB

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
No more replies to this topic, please - editing in progress.