Author Topic: Cinnamon-cider beef stew  (Read 4390 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Cinnamon-cider beef stew
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »
I've been playing around with my crock pot, but threw together this one and decided I LOVE it!

In a crock pot, cut to bite-sized pieces and mix

1 lb. beef
a few carrots
one small onion or half a large one
three or four stalks of celery
2-3 potatoes
2 peeled apples, preferably a type that cooks well (like Fuji)

Add one can of frozen apple juice, and just enough water to cover everything that's in there.  Throw in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and cook until dinnertime (varies by crock pot type and how hot it is).

The resulting beef stew is just a little bit sweet, and the beef, onion, and celery especially pick up the apple cinnamon taste.  It also reheats well!

OhHai!

Re: Cinnamon-cider beef stew
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »
no replies to this topic - editing in progress

katycoo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:31:11 AM »
Sounds yum!

I'm mentally trying to adapt this to the Australian market - what is frozen apple juice?  Is it a concentrate?  Could you substitute fresh apple juice?  How big is a can?

And, OT, you freeze things in a can??

OhHai!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »
Sounds yum!

I'm mentally trying to adapt this to the Australian market - what is frozen apple juice?  Is it a concentrate?  Could you substitute fresh apple juice?  How big is a can?

And, OT, you freeze things in a can??
Frozen apple juice is a concentrate, frozen.  You could substitute fresh, but it would end up more as a soup, I would think, and it wouldn't be as flavorful.  The frozen concentrate, in general, makes two quarts when mixed with water.  I'm not positive of the size of the can, but about 12 ounces, maybe.

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »
Awesome.  I can find apple concentrate.  Probably doesn't matter if its frozen concentrate or not.