News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alice the Bridesmaid  (Read 4310 times)

snowball's chance

• the poster formerly known as mm250
Alice the Bridesmaid
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:45:30 PM »
About 20 years ago, I was a bridesmaid in my then-boyfriend's sister's wedding.  The future bride was a lovely person.  Her best friend was the MOH, and the future groom's two sisters were the other bridesmaids.  One of the FG's sisters, I'll call her "Alice", was very artsy and a little flaky, but seemed nice.  The bride to be chose floor length bridesmaid dresses which looked nice on everyone.  She told us that she didn't care what kind of shoes we wore, as long as they were dyed to match the dress and had a closed toe.  At that time, you could go into almost any shoe store and buy inexpensive white satin shoes that could be dyed to match anything.  So, that is what we all did - or so I thought!

The bride asked all the bridesmaids to come to her house a few hours before the ceremony to get ready.  She also offered to arrange (and pay) for her hairdresser to do our hair, if we wanted. I believe we all took her up on her offer, except (you guessed it) Alice.  Alice showed up at the bride's home 1/2 hour before the limo was supposed to pick us up for the ride to the church.  She was wearing a t-shirt and jeans, and her long, straggly hair was wet because she had just gotten out of the shower.  When the bride (understandably a little upset) asked Alice what she was planning to do with her hair, she said, "Nothing, I'm just going to wear it down."  The mother of the bride did convince Alice to at least blow-dry her hair, but it looked terrible anyway.  

The best part was when she got dressed and joined the rest of us as the limo was pulling up in front of the house.  She said to her sister, "I think my shoes are chipping."  She had taken an old pair of white leather shoes and PAINTED them the same color as her dress.  Unfortunately, the paint didn't adhere well to the leather and by the time we walked down the aisle her shoes looked like they had leprosy!  If the bride's mother had had a gun, I think Alice would have been dead!

Bridesmaids0320-08
==================================

I don't think Alice was all that bad.  The bride didn't tell the BMs they HAD to have an updo, so Alice was allowed to decline having one, she was asked to dry her hair & she did.  Plus, if they only had 1/2 an hour, there wouldn't be time for an updo, especially if Alice's hair is long.  Also, the shoes doesn't seem that big of a deal -- Alice was the one who looked ridiculous, not anyone else.

Jenzilla

Re: Alice the Bridesmaid
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »
Is it mean that I found this funny?  :)

I bet Alice never hears the end of jokes about this!

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:23:06 PM »
I don't know.  If I ask my BMs to come get ready with me, or even to help me get ready, at 1 pm and one of them doesn't show up until 3:30, I'd be mighty ticked off.  And despite the fact that I'm a wash-n-go kind of girl, I would never in a million years think that leaving for a wedding with wet hair was appropriate.  Yes, Alice did dry it when asked, but I wonder why she had to be asked?  It didn't occur to her that maybe she should have dry hair for the wedding???

I'm sure now it's a joke and everything's fine.  But, I can see why a bride would be stressed over those couple things the day of.

Twik

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »
Alice sounds like she was taking the PA route for some reason. I can't imagine anyone (even/particularly someone "artsy") thinking a BM with dripping hair would be appropriate.

The shoes are small potatoes.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:38:40 PM »
Leather shoes can be dyed as well. I have done so to several pairs of shoes and they turned out great.

However, there is one particular leather finish which doesn't take dye. It looks like normal leather (not patent, although that doesn't dye either ;)), the dye goes on normally but doesn't take very well and starts flaking.

If the shoes were the only issue, I would just say that she had a mix of bad luck (wrong finish) and bad planning (doing it too late to fix).

mechtilde

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:16 AM »
So- she shambles up, looking scruffy (and wet) with barely enough time to get herself ready, has to be told to make herself look even vaguely presentable, almost certainly has other people running around her at the last minute then puts on a pair of tatty shoes.

Very inconsiderate.
NE England