News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:46:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .  (Read 4133 times)

blank space

« on: March 29, 2007, 12:35:45 PM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:51:45 AM by blank space »

kingsrings

Re: birthday blues (just plain tacky)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 12:51:09 PM »
These are not kids, they are adults. Adults should no longer expect people to make a big deal about their birthdays except maybe some family members. I celebrate some of my friend's birthdays and ignore others as it all depends on other things going on in my life, plus financial matters. I don't expect all of my friends to celebrate my birthday with me, either. You have fun with and enjoy the company of those who do want to celebrate with you and just concentrate on that. Don't think about who didn't show up or who didn't buy you a gift.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:35:59 PM »
The whole story reeked of 'but it's myyyyyyy day.' Really? Maybe when you were 3, but get over yourself and your birthday already! Maybe that's why Danielle hasn't attended the last few. Sheesh. Totally agree, kingsrings. They're adults now and things come up and birthdays shouldn't be that big a deal anymore. I certainly don't cry if my friends don't make a big deal out of my b-day. While I do exchange gifts with 2 of my friends, the gifts are usually small and one friend *always* sends her gift late!  ;)

The only thing Danielle was guilty of in this story was not being truthful w/her plans at the last b-day.

jais

• Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »
Is it still ok to want your BF to make at least a little bit of a big deal about your birthday??

VelvetMorning

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
Is it still ok to want your BF to make at least a little bit of a big deal about your birthday??
Thing is, at that point, why did OP still consider Danielle her BF?  That has me scratching my head.  Insisting friendships exist when they seem to be dead...isn't that as bad as being a horrific pushover? Why force yourself on someone who...doesn't want to be your friend?  ???
I'd think 3 months *TWICE!!!* w/out a word should have been a clue...

jais

• Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
My bad, I didn't mean BF as in best friend, I meant BF as in boyfriend!   Sorry for the confusion!!  :P

VelvetMorning

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »
My bad, I didn't mean BF as in best friend, I meant BF as in boyfriend!   Sorry for the confusion!!  :P
Oh!  Well then...HECK yeah!  There's a huge difference b/w wanting all your friends (no matter how close) to drop all and do what YOU want.  However, secretly hoping for flowers and a nice dinner? IMO, totally not out of line! (as long as the understanding is that if he has to go in to work at 6am, the celebration might be delayed 'til the wkend.  However, flowers and a hug? Not that time-consuming... ;))

eta--forgot to close those sneaky parentheses.

snowflake

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »
OK, I'm not one of those people who things I need to be wined, dined and pampered on my birthday. 

Even if a friend said, "I want to have a hundred people dance around me, offer fabulously expensive gifts, and sing ancient worship songs for my birthday."  I think it's polite to tell the yea or nay.  The request would be over the top.  But if I don't want to participate, I need to tell them.  It would be rude to say yes and then not show.