Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Come over for dinner and take over the cooking!

(1/7) > >>

sparksals:
We had some friends over for a BBQ last Sunday afternoon.  The menu was burgers, spicy sausage, salad, home made baked beans and a mixed fruit pie.  Appetizers were shrimp, cocktail sauce and home made guacamole.

Dh fired up the BBQ, we waited for it to heat up and I put the burgers and sausage on to cook.  I was a bit put off when one of my guests got up and did the cooking.  I'm sure she was trying to help, but when I have guests over, I prefer to do the cooking or dh do the grilling. 

Was she rude or am I over reacting?

Lisbeth:
I think it was not appropriate for your guest to assume that she could do the cooking in your home without asking you first.  As the hostess, you needed to give permission, and you hadn't done so.  If I am hosting, I would not like it if my guests simply cooked unless I told them explicitly that it was fine with me.

sparksals:
Good.  I thought maybe I was overthinking it.  I just found it so odd that she just got up and basically took over the BBQ.  It made me feel like she didn't trust my ability to cook the burgers and sausage properly.

VelvetMorning:
Gah--I'm on the other side of that situation.  I'm a classically-trained chef and I still enjoy taking regular courses through a local chef school.  The number of times I've been invited to dinner as a guest, and wound up stuck in the kitchen all night are legion.  It ALWAYS starts with "Velvet, could I get your advice here?"--Inevitably,  the hostess has chosen an incredibly difficult menu, often, I suspect, to impress. 

I don't eat at other people's homes that much anymore--just my close friends who know I'm happy with stew or pizza!  8)

sparksals:
I think it's very rude to expect a guest to come over to help cook the dinner!  That's taking advantage of your expertise!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version