Author Topic: Interesting assumptions: fine, I'll toy with you then (election-related)  (Read 3637 times)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Because of my mannerisms, or perhaps their arrogance, or perhaps both, I encountered several people who made an assumption about how I voted. While they were correct, the overwhelming arrogance of these individuals thinking they can read my mind because they happen to see me for a few hours out of my day really made me feel uncooperative. Paraphrasing:

Busybody: "So you voted?"
Me: "Of course!"
Busybody: "Yay, another vote for X!"
Me: "Uh, how do you know I voted for X?"
Busybody: "..."

I think at least one person believes I voted for Y now just on the basis of conversations like that. I don't care, because who I voted for is none of their dingdangity business anyway.

And if I'm rude for correcting them on their arrogance, or letting them think something incorrect, EHell will surely tell me so, but I think it all falls within voter privacy and will hopefully teach them a lesson about interesting assumptions.

MaggieB

Re: Interesting assumptions: fine, I'll toy with you then (election-related)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:23:27 AM »
I think this is the scenario that "What an interesting assumption" was created for.  (For which it was created?)

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
I had that happen for the Canadian election last month.  A person I have worked with for 11 years said something like "Well, everyone knows how you voted" to which I replied "I bet you don't".  She then said, "Obviously you always vote for party X" - I replied that I had only ever voted party X once in my life and that this time I had voted for a fringe party Z.
I thought it was quite amusing actually.  Interesting assumptions indeed.

Chocolate

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
The other day, a friend said to me, "So, you voted for Candidate X, right?" I didn't. "Uh...no, I voted for Candidate Y." "Oh. I always thought you had better morals than that." I started laughing. I guess it's almost a compliment...

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
Once I got a message on MySpace saying:

"Did you know that Rose Tree used to be a (member of my profession)? I am sure this disgusts you, since I am assuming that someone with your education belongs to the opposite end of the spectrum".

And I replied...

"What an interesting assumption. I love Rose and Thomas very much and do not regret my support. Never assume anything."

OK, so it is quite transparent who and what I am talking about. But it seems to show that one should never assume anything due to someone's profession or education.
I have pet mice!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »
Once I got a message on MySpace saying:

"Did you know that Rose Tree used to be a (member of my profession)? I am sure this disgusts you, since I am assuming that someone with your education belongs to the opposite end of the spectrum".

And I replied...

"What an interesting assumption. I love Rose and Thomas very much and do not regret my support. Never assume anything."

OK, so it is quite transparent who and what I am talking about. But it seems to show that one should never assume anything due to someone's profession or education.

Yes, and also the idea that anyone should be disgusted by someone's profession is entirely ridiculous. Unless you're some sort of slaver, there's nothing to be disgusted by.