Author Topic: The WORST houseguest?  (Read 13174 times)

retreadbride

Re: The WORST houseguest?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
Invited a former roommate for a holiday. She brought her NEW roommate and said she thought it would be rude to leave the New Roomie alone on the holiday.

Evidently it wasn't rude to bring her along to my house, unnanounced, and expect me to feed and entertain her all week.

Minmom3

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »
<<"Waaaaake UPPPPPP..... I'm BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORED..... GET UP!!!!!!!". >>

I remember things similar to this when my children were young.  My final line, which for some reason ALWAYS worked, was said through slitted eyes and gritted teeth, "I DON'T CARE if you can't sleep.  Get in your bed, pull up the covers and pretend.  Do not get out of that bed unless you need to pee, and once you have peed, you get right back in that bed, and don't go anywhere else BUT your bed.  If you wake me up again I will beat you!"

An 18 year old behaving like that?  Good lord.  I'd have told her to turn on the TV and (Oo, I just used a rude phrase that the moderators won't be happy about. ) and leave ME to sleep.  I'd agree with the person who said it sounded like possible brain damage, because it's certainly not normal to act that way.  Not once you're over the age of, oh, 7.

My nearly 18yo DD sometimes can't sleep.  Then she either reads a book or stays up late online, being very quite about it so as not to disturb US....  Headphones are her friend!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

AprilRenee

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »

I remember things similar to this when my children were young.  My final line, which for some reason ALWAYS worked, was said through slitted eyes and gritted teeth, "I DON'T CARE if you can't sleep.  Get in your bed, pull up the covers and pretend.  Do not get out of that bed unless you need to pee, and once you have peed, you get right back in that bed, and don't go anywhere else BUT your bed.  If you wake me up again I will beat you!"

Haha I said that EXACT thing this morning. Unfortunatly my children never believe my beating threats.

minnaloushe

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 04:37:11 PM »
My worst houseguest would be the friend that needed a place to stay for a short while and ended up sleeping on my couch for three months. 

He was a computer guy, and set up his business in the dining room, effectively stopping us from eating at the table.  But that was okay, because he was used to eating at the computer anyway.

He also commandeered our phone so he could work (i.e. set up an internet connection), except he didn’t ask, and would get very angry if a call came through and broke the connection.  He actually convinced the phone company to cancel the call alert so he wouldn’t be interrupted. He also yelled at a friend for daring to call when we weren’t home.

Finally, he didn’t contribute anything to the household.  He wasn’t a “guest” in the sense that we invited him to visit, he begged for a place to stay because he hadn’t found an apartment and his old place was demolished. We didn’t want to put any undue financial strain on him as he was saving for an apartment, but it soon became evident he wasn’t looking for anything, and always seemed to have money for Starbucks and smokes, but nothing for food, TP, etc. basically anything we had to provide anyway. He didn’t eat much of our food unless I was making dinner (which I do all the time) but he never once offered to grocery shop, do laundry, tidy up or actually leave the apartment so DH and I could have an hour of privacy. I don’t think he’s been back to more than twice in the ten years since, as DH is still miffed.

At a much later date we had another friend in a similar sticky situation, but the results were completely the opposite.  This gentleman was considerate, clean, and helpful.  He was also there for three months, but we’d have him back in a heartbeat.

kathrynne

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
My nearly 18yo DD sometimes can't sleep.  Then she either reads a book or stays up late online, being very quite about it so as not to disturb US....  Headphones are her friend!
I learned insomnia etiquette when I was very young, having been a chronic insomniac all my life. It runs in the family, so it wasn't unusual to quietly go downstairs and discover Dad there watching whatever was on the "Late, Late Show." Those are actually some of my best childhood memories.

Dad and I would watch bad movies ("Night of the Lepus," anyone?) and play poker or 21 until the test patterns came on, and then try the bed again. If Dad was lucky enough to sleep when I couldn't, I'd just read or watch bad movies.

Insomniacs value sleep. Most of us know better than to "share" the affliction, but I've known a few people who needed educating on the topic.

Jaywalker

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
re the SIL/brother from hell --- my FOO lived in a tiny tiny two bedroom house when I was small and my mother's huge extended family loved to come and crash -- we would have as many as 26 people stacked up like cordwood for Thanksgiving -- her father moved in for 6  mos before I was born and was angry when my mother indicated that she would be needing the room for her baby -- uncles and their families stayed all summer while uncles went to college on the GI bill etc etc --

there were always moochers parked on the floors the couch (in the one bathroom) etc -- my mother the perennial doormat had one sensible rule though -- she would not put her husband out of his bed for guests (and of course she got to stay in it with him) -- she felt that the guy who had to get up and work to support whatever moochers were sacked out in the living room should not have to sleep on floor or couch ---

I having been brought up with this 'standard' have never given my bed and my husband's bed up to a guest -- We tried to have a decent guest bed -- but kept ours

it is crazy making enough to have guests for days at a time, without having to live like a nomad in your own home

and you are less likely to have long term guests with this policy

time to buy an inflatable air bed for SIL/brother  or a futon

loopey2u

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »
Or you can pay for a hotel room if you can afford it, which is what I'm considering next time my IL's come to visit.  If they're offended, they can stay home. 
We plan on having something going on next time somebody invites themselves over unless it's MIL and she comes by herself. We've had a lot of houseguests the past 4 years and we're tired of them. 

Background.  We live 4 hours away from all family, so a day visit is just not feasable unless it is an emergency. We do go back home a lot, so it's not like we don't see anybody.  We were just home in November, December, January and February.  Next time we plan on going will be at the end of May for my sisters surprise 30th birthday party.

I will say that sometimes we do stay with family members, but we always clean up after ourselves, and make sure we're not a burden on the hosting family as far as food/entertainment.  One night's stay is the max for us at another persons house.  Any more than that, and fights/resentsments happen.  They just do.

We stoppped inviting people (i.e. the PITB people) to come to our place for the weekend last year.  It just became too much for us all.  People were using our place as a vacation to "get away", and we were stuck with all the work while they were here and after they left.

IL's are nice people and I like them, but they're slobs.  When they come I'm expected to just let my house go, which I don't do.  That's something I don't budge on because a messy house makes me very uncomfortable. (OCD)  They have known this for at least 15 years now, but make no pains to ensure my comfort, although when they come I'm supposed to drop everything.

On one visit nephew was being potty trained, and he pooped on my family room rug left a milk bottle to drip for hours inside my sectional.  Then they hung his underpants on the railings of the stairs after they were washed.  Everybody else thought it was funny.  I was disgusted, and cleaned the carpets and sectional as soon as they left.  The sectioanl still stinks to this day, and I wish we had the money to replace it.

IL's never offer to cook or take us out for a meal, and generally make themselves at home sleeping in our family room until noon or later, making us prisoners in our own home as we have to tiptoe around the sleepers until they wake up.  (This after I offer them a bedroom that has internet access and cable tv).  They also stay for days, not just one night because "only one night is not worth coming out"

Apparently the cost of gas is so high, they complain the whole time they are here about how much it cost them to come out, and generally make us feel uncomfortable and responsible for feeding them breakfast lunch and dinner.

I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

People, don't let yourselves be taken advantage of by rude houseguests.  Show them the door or show them a hotel room, even if you have to pay for it.  Better yet, don't open yourselves up to the situation in the first place.

dustyninja

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
Oh my!! Reading all these stories reminds of houseguests my family had about 15 years ago. I blocked out most of the details.The ones I do remember are detailed below.

Guests call us in January. Asked if we had any plans for July 4th week. "nope" Told us that they MAY be in our area around that time and could they come see us.  Ok sure my mom hadn't seen this "friend" in about 25 years and had limited correspondence. Plus they lived over 500 miles away.  She said just let us know when your plans are final. (she thought it would be nice to catch up with her friend.)

Nothing is heard during the following months until....7am July 4th, our doorbell rings. It is the guests from Hades. Mom, dad and two kids under 10. 

The kids mom expected me and my sister to play with her kids. I was 18 and my sis was 15.  ???

My mom asked what they liked to eat and they told her what they liked, so us being good hosts go to the store, along with the guest mom. Proceed to buy $400.00 worth of groceries of what THEY liked. When we got home and tried to prepare what they liked, it was met with eww, and we don't like that. GRRRRR

Nope, they didn't reimburse us one penny. Not that that's bad, as they were guests, but how about a little gratitude? On the bright side we did have a fully stocked kitchen.

My sister was on the phone talking with a friend who was having a family crisis and my sis was trying to comfort her. The mom comes over presses the disconnect button and tells my sis that her kids want someone to play with them and she's been  elected.  Needless to say my sis was none to happy.

The kids have to sleep in my sis's room, my mom in my room with me on the floor and the other adults in my mom's room. (Not a problem)

Then my mom has to go out of town for the weekend with my aunt. She had made plans a month prior because she thought that our lovely guests, weren't going to come.  So me and my sis have to stay with our grandparents. As mom didn't want me and my sister to be around the husband. Do the guests leave when the weekend approaches? NO! They proceed to stay in our home and wreck my sisters video game system and other things. I threatend them to stay out of my room. Doubt they did though.

The husband kept leering at us and being otherwise creepy. The kids were constantly whining about one thing or another.

They didn't talk...they yelled constantly. Thank goodness for tylenol!

They finally leave after two weeks. I can understand the proverb that says, "like fish, guests stink after three days."

Since that incident I've made myself keenly aware of trespassing laws in my state.

(We got even though in a way. The husband and wife were coming through town about a year later and asked to stay with us. "SURE" (I should say when we came home they were in our driveway.)

We didn't clean the floor immaculately like we usually do and mom and me and sis refused to give up our rooms again, so they had to bed down on an air mattress in the living room. Then the three of us made light noises and scrapes along the wall during the night. They were gone early the next morning citing they heard "bugs". ) Not nice, but sure did relieve a lot of tension.
My kitties are angels sent from heaven above, with sandpaper kisses and hearts full of love.

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 01:09:04 AM »

Wow.  Just wow.  I have 2 stories to add to the mix....

Situation #1:

DH and I were moving home from 2 hours away.  A friend and her BF were coming up the night before to help out the day of the move.  We'll call them Looneytunes and NiceGuy, or LT and NG for short.   :)

Anyhow, they show up and aren't there for 1 hour when LT pulls out a pint of Seagram's 7, and proceeds to drink most of it.  NG has 1 or 2 light drinks.  We hang out, everything seems OK, and around midnight, I go to bed, leaving them watching TV on the sleeper sofa.

Around 4 am, I am awakened by my bedroom door being SLAMMED open.  It's LT.  Apparently, she had decided to rehash her failed marriage for the millionth time with NG.  From what I gathered in my rage, NG had told her that she was being drunk and maudlin, and that he wanted to sleep, which ticked her off.  They had argued, and he went outside to get some air.  I told her to calm down and go to bed. 

She proceeded to march back downstairs, out the front door, and unable to find NG, began running around the parking lot SCREAMING for him.  I race outside and bodily drag her back inside.  She goes through my stuff to find our cell (land line was already off) to call NG's mom (long distance) to tell her that LT was mad at her son.

At this point, I swear that I lost my mind.  I let her have it, took the phone away, and told her that if she didn't go to sleep right then, that I would call the cops. 

I found NG sleeping in their car, just to get some peace.

Situation #2:

A year later, another friend and her girlfriend were moving home from Atlanta.  We'll just call them EX and GF.  EX had come up to finalize their apartment (in our complex) and she was heading back to GA.  We were due to follow that weekend to help.  It was Valentine's Day, and the roads were slushy and wet.  I get a frantic call from EX.  She had blown a tire, hit some slush, spun into several 360 degree turns, and broken the back axle.  If not for the median, she would have been in 5 o'clock traffic on the highway.  DH and I head out to get her and make sure she is OK.

After calming her down, we start to head back to my place to make insurance calls, call GF, etc.  We also had plans to go out with friends for dinner, who were en route and not able to be reached.  When EX reaches GF, they decide (without consulting us) that EX would be staying with us for the rest of the week (5 days) and that we would bring her to Atlanta, as GF didn't want to make the drive to come get EX.  I was ticked at GF, but I felt bad for EX, so we went with it.

EX then wants us to cancel our plans to take her to visit with her Grandmother, who was 30 minutes from us, wait there for her, and then bring her back to our place.   >:(  I suggested to her then that if I took her down there, could she stay there for the week, and we would pick her up on the way down that weekend.  She declined, and went to dinner with us and our other friends, who had arrived by that point.

The week was spent with her hanging out around my place while DH and I were at work, bugging us to let her drive one of our cars so she could go shopping (Um, NO), and generally driving DH crazy while I was at work at night.  Keep in mind that this was her hometown:  she had numerous relatives that she could have asked for help, including her Mom. 

The end of the week brought the 6 hour drive to GA, packing a truck and driving back the same night.  We got separated on the highway, and when we got home, there was no sign of them.  My car was filled to the brim with their stuff, and although we waited till 5 am, we didn't hear a word from them.  We found out the next day that they had decided to stop at EX's Grandma's to sleep.  Apparently a call on the cell to let us know was too much for them to manage.   ???

Note that neither of these girls are my friends anymore, but the final straws for both are another Jerry Springer show.   >:D

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 10:19:16 AM »
I having been brought up with this 'standard' have never given my bed and my husband's bed up to a guest -- We tried to have a decent guest bed -- but kept ours

I, too, believe in this rule.  I had to actually convince my parents of it.  In my case, I don't have a guest bed, so I happily sleep on the couch when my parents visit.  But, when my grandparents and other family visited my parents.  My parents vacated the Master bedroom, and Dad slept on a air mattress on the pool table.  It really hurt my parents when my grandparents complained about the bed and their private bathroom.  Especially since there was nothing to complain about.  The bed was very good quality and people could get lost in the bathroom. 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
Oh I have a couple stories:

--The first is my aunt. She loves to come over for the weekend and ends up staying several weeks. She has awful dogs who drool over my poor rabbit (who is used to romping with my golden retriever), poo in the house and bark incessantly. Any movement is often met with the statement "you're scaring my dogs".

--When my mother was 9 months pregnant with my little brother my aunt and uncle came to visit - unannounced. They stayed after the birth. My mom litterally had to tell them that she could not be a hostess and a brand new mother all at once and they had to leave.

--My great uncle was at our house for a barbecue (he knew us well but this was his first time at our house). He spent the entire time critiquing how my father cooked the meat (most of my fam eats their meat rare but he made burgers cooked to whatever the eater wanted) and telling us how ignorant and stupid we were not to share his political views (we have a no politics/no religion rule at our house and he was well aware of it as it was a rule shared by the whole family). Then he did something that got him kicked out of our house for good. We had a lovely old golden retriever. He was very arthritic and could only lie on one side otherwise he could not get up. In our family, dogs are like children - we love them and care from them as they are part of the family. Dog went to greet great uncle (limping in a great effort to see to doggie etiquette of greeting a guest) and sniffed his pants leg, wagging his tail (note - no aggressive or invasive behavior). Great uncle kicked him so hard he knocked the dog over - onto his bad side - and could it not get up. My father, who trains all of our animals, looked like he was about to murder uncle. I went outside, picked up the 80 pound animal and took him inside, ignoring great uncle's greeting and shooting him Death Glares (rude on my part but I was so angry I felt that any response I could give would be even more rude). I still have not forgiven him for that, though the dear old dog is dead and buried. In what culture is it ok to come in and abuse your hosts' pet? I understand that he might not have liked dogs, but he should have mentioned that before we welcomed him into our home or at least simply asked us to remove the animal from the room. He was informed by my father that any repeat of the incident would have him thrown out of the party. He has not been invited back to our home since.

'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 02:35:04 PM »
Relative or not, I would have had him arrested for animal cruelty.

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »

PeasNCues, I would have been on the evening news if someone had done that to one of our "children", and Great Uncle would have one less leg to kick poor defenseless animals like that......as well as several skull fractures from me beating him with said leg......

In that kind of situation, etiquette be da*ned. >:(

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »
Nobody hurts my "babies" and lives to tell the tale.

I once wore a bruise for weeks protecting someone else's horse.

He was going to wap the horse for some horsey misdeed. (I think horse moved his foot when he "told" him to stand still)

He waped me instead.  Amazing how fast you can move when a "child" is threatened.  At least I saved the poor beast from one hit.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »
Dog went to greet great uncle (limping in a great effort to see to doggie etiquette of greeting a guest) and sniffed his pants leg, wagging his tail (note - no aggressive or invasive behavior). Great uncle kicked him so hard he knocked the dog over - onto his bad side - and could it not get up.

Oh no, I would've gone ballistic on that man! No, just no, no, no!