Author Topic: The WORST houseguest?  (Read 14092 times)

lkl492

Re: The WORST houseguest?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »
On Thursday morning, Laurie was taking a shower in the house with the bathroom door locked, and MIL pounded on the door and badgered her (b/c she HAD to "go") until she got out of the shower, gathered her clothes, and got the hell out of the bathroom.
Might be a tad PA, but I think I would have spent hours in the bathroom.  Washing my hair can take 45 minutes.  Then add in shaving.  Then add some other things.
LOL Tempting, but I'd imagine she was so shocked at having someone pounding on the door yelling that she'd been in there long enough, that she just got her stuff and got out.
Yah, unfortunately when other people behave really really badly, sometimes our brain just freezes.  I would have definately done it the second time though.  She was smart to leave early.  I am sure her bf had lots of fun without her. NOT.   

I don't think I would have had to deal with that.  My FH is shameless.  He would say, "You need to stay out of the house until at least noon."  Why?  "Because we will be having s*e*x."  Even if we weren't. 

Note: I added the * myself.  I figure if the word g*a*y might bring annoying ads, then so might s*e*x.

AHAHHAAH Yeah I can see how that would definitely keep the ILs out!

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »

That would be my SIL

She was suppose to be there for two weeks and it ended up being 3 months.

I've repressed most the memories but still remember The Chocolate Donut Incident

She refused to eat anything I made for about a day. Then when I was having two chocolate donuts as a treat (I had offer to get her one from the bakery and she said no), SIL told a donut off my plate and ate it.

Oh here's another little gem.  Her comment when I was seven months pregnant and bedridden due to complications:  "You know , you just look really fat.  Maybe you shouldn't just lay around all day. That's kinda lazy."

And she wonders out aloud to my DH why I don't like her. 
(He reminds why of course  ;))

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
On Thursday morning, Laurie was taking a shower in the house with the bathroom door locked, and MIL pounded on the door and badgered her (b/c she HAD to "go") until she got out of the shower, gathered her clothes, and got the hell out of the bathroom.
Might be a tad PA, but I think I would have spent hours in the bathroom.  Washing my hair can take 45 minutes.  Then add in shaving.  Then add some other things.
LOL Tempting, but I'd imagine she was so shocked at having someone pounding on the door yelling that she'd been in there long enough, that she just got her stuff and got out.
Yah, unfortunately when other people behave really really badly, sometimes our brain just freezes.  I would have definately done it the second time though.  She was smart to leave early.  I am sure her bf had lots of fun without her. NOT.   

I don't think I would have had to deal with that.  My FH is shameless.  He would say, "You need to stay out of the house until at least noon."  Why?  "Because we will be having s*e*x."  Even if we weren't. 

Note: I added the * myself.  I figure if the word g*a*y might bring annoying ads, then so might s*e*x.

AHAHHAAH Yeah I can see how that would definitely keep the ILs out!

Not necessarily. I think I recall one story on the old board about some ILs who had no problem with entering the bedroom during private activities.  :o

I think I'd swear off sex for life if I were that couple.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2007, 08:26:30 PM »
I wasn't the host here, but here's my story.

My first apartment was a studio in a nice house in a residential neighborhood near my college.  I worked nights as a bartender in those days.  On Labor Day weekend my landlord and his wife had the Houseguests from Hell:  An English couple and their three hellspawn (ages 9, 6, and 4).  To this day I have trouble remembering that the couple were supposed to be university professors because they fell for the Summerhill approach to parenting which, as far as I could see, meant allowing the brats to do whatever they pleased.

I found myself locked out when I came home at 5 AM.  The chain bolt had been put on the back door when the guests were specifically instructed not to touch it.  I had to wake up my landlord to get in.  At 9:30 one of these brats tried to break my door down.  They screamed and carried on all weekend.  When I finally saw the landlord's wife toward the next weekend she was exhausted.  She told me that these brats ran all over the furniture, harrassed the dog (the sweetest Great Pyranees you ever saw) until she hid in the master bedroom all weekend.  She had just finished shampooing all the upholstery and carpets.  She then put her foot down and told her husband that under no circumstances was this family ever invited again.

Nuala

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 01:10:37 PM »
Before SIL married her now ex-husband, they were vacationing in a beach area in the next state.  DH suggested they come visit us several times, but each time they declined.

Until they changed their minds and called to say they were on their way.

The house wasn't really up to visitors.  My children were young, and I was more apt to spend time with them than clean--although I did try to clean one room a day (my joke was that the house was always clean, just not at the same time).  Also, her ex had never been to the house before, and I like people to see it at its best, at least the first time.  After that, they get what they get!

Dear friends took my children to their swimming lessons and library time so I could wash sheets and scrub toilets.  I spent the entire day cleaning, except for a quick run to the market.

After they arrived, I asked them what they would like for dinner, Meal A or B.  "Oh, don't worry about us.  We're going out to dinner." 
And so they did.

DH was a little shocked and said to me, "You shouldn't have to cook tonight.  What you would like me to bring home?"  Um, mints for their friggin' pillows?  If they wanted to eat by themselves, why didn't they do it before they got to our house, rather than just "checking in" before they went out?

A few years earlier, she was looking for a 6 week class to take, and her parents wanted her to stay with us.  "She could help take care of the baby!" they said.  Yeah, she would have held my son while I cleaned up after her.  Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to decline that little invitation!

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 01:55:32 PM »
We have had houseguests for the past month.  The Other Mom and her two dd's I've written often about here.

We originally agreed that they could stay with us until their new house became available on April 5th.  About mid-way through March, Other Mom decided she didn't really want to move into that particular house after all, so she started looking for a different house.  Of course, the only houses she qualified for and liked were not available until later in April, or the end of April.

She asked if they could stay for the month of April.  We sat down with her and told her we were able to accomodate her only until April 5th, which was our original agreement.  Beyond that, she would have to find something else.  We were polite, calm, and united.  She took it rather well.

So they left yesterday.  It would have been easy to give in, out of guilt, out of concern for her kids, out of some sort of desire to do for her what her own family didn't seem to want to do, whatever.  But we didn't relent, and we didn't waiver.  When she would talk about how hard it was trying to find accomodations, etc. I would listen intently, then change the subject.  I refused to get drawn in.  It seemed to work.

Our house is our own again.  I wish her well, but I was glad to see her go.

Shoo, I remember this thread, and I just want tosay GOOD FOR YOU! ;D :D :) ;) :)  I am so glad your house is your own again and that you and your DH were able to stick to your guns. yay!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
Not the worst, but the most tiring... DH's aunt, mother, sister, brother in law, niece, nephew and other sister... three weeks.  It was slightly staggered in that we only had 2 weeks with everyone here and a few days with just everyone but one sister on one and and only her on the other end.

I did nothing but babysit the children - and they wondered why I wasn't doing more family things.  Uh, I was too exhausted!  And did I mention that we'd gotten Orion, only 8 weeks old at the time, just a week before they all came?

Three weeks.

Never again. 

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »

Dear friends took my children to their swimming lessons and library time so I could wash sheets and scrub toilets.  I spent the entire day cleaning, except for a quick run to the market.

You have awesome friends! (Shame about the in-laws, though.)
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Nuala

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »
Yes, my friends were lovely to help out like that.

It's been almost 20 years and they have moved.  Still have the SIL though.  ;)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2007, 07:59:46 PM »
The worst houseguest we had was one we didn't get but it was a close thing. 

Back in the mid 80s I received a phone call from a cousin.  Her son had been accepted at an art school close to our home.  We  offered her congratulations.  She had an offer of a very different kind in mind.

Her son, who I'll call Axl, wanted to find an off-campus apartment but didn't have the opportunity to go looking.  Could we put him up while he attended classes until he found a suitable place?

I had doubts about this.  Mr. Thipu and I had only been married a few years.  We had no experience dealing with a person of College age.  Our neighborhood was still a bit on the iffy side.  We knew there was a crack-house on the next block and a dubious 'Youth Center' on the corner.  We told my cousin about this but she still wanted her son to live with us.

I made a day-trip up to her house to interview Axl.  He was a polite young man.  He also was very Goth.  I do not mean to offend Goths but, in the mid 1980s 'Goth' seemed a bit more dangerous than it does today.   

I asked about his art.  He reluctantly showed me his portfolio with the caveat that it was 'violent'.  He was a talented artist but his art was a very flamboyant type of Anime that involved a lot of spurting blood. I was starting to have real doubts about setting up my old drafting table for Axl in out guest room.   

My doubts were confirmed when I asked Axl if he knew much about Brooklyn.  Yes, he knew a lot.  He and his mates often drove down to clubs in odder areas of Brooklyn and got into swinging matches with Home Boys.  That clinched it!

I wanted to help my young relative but the vibes were very, very wrong.  We were not about to give keys to a kid who went out and got into fights. with people who might just follow him home.